Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Betsy Blue is Betsy 2

Betsy Blue is Betsy 2

Yes, I had a white one that had been previously t-boned.....before I bought it. Drove it around for about a year with a homemade door, and missing a window. It died though, so I managed to track down another lift back. Here's the original Betsy: http://speedhero.wordpress.com/2011/...y-never-a-cow/

Betsy Blue, who is really Betsy 2 is also a liftback. I made a confusing post a while ago, about the acquisition of her.

Anywho, the motor pooped, coolant decided it no longer wanted to stay in the motor. Which is koo I guess, you know, do what you do how you do. But I figured that 4ac and I just didn't have the same goals in life, I wanted to go places, get things done, it was a rebel and wanted to spit coolant all over the ground and hang out on the side of the road like a jerk. So out it came.

I have no money, I'm not proud of being ghetto, but rather maximizing my limited resources? Sure. So I ripped apart my VI'd tercel for it's minty fresh 3ac.

It's really not easy moving engines around in the rain and mud, especially by yourself with no engine hoist, out of two cars. :S both cars had the engines dropped from the bottom, with the trans'eseses and the suspensions. Dragged them out from under each car and pulled the engines off the subframes. Separated the trans'eseses and got cracking.

Luckily I found a nicely rebuilt T50 for $150, which was out of my budget, but there was no way I was going back to Auto. The 3ac had a brand new flywheel and clutch so I was excited to use it. After getting the engine and trans into the corolla, I realized a few interesting things. The water pumps are different, the distributors are different, and the exhaust manifolds are different. Pulled the intake and exhaust manifolds. 'Cleaned' up all emissions junk on the carb, intake and exhaust manifolds, then swapped the 4ac ones in, along with the 4ac distributer.

Stoked I went to throw a starter on and learned that the 3ac flywheel is a much smaller diameter than the 4a flywheels. So I had to ghetto rig a 4ac auto starter on a crazy angle to get it to turn over. First touch of the key and it ran for a short while.

Still not done yet. The tercel had brand new front struts in it, so I built some 'new' ae86 struts that need to go on, and waiting for my clutch pedal parts from the mainland. Soon, hopefully I can get back into town and start looking for work. Just stoked it actually fires up after all that ****ty dirty labor.

Here's to hoping my slightly too long drive shaft, my ghetto trans mount, all my other unwanted short cuts end remain short and don't become much longer.

SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

Looking good man
    "strategic sledge hammering might be required" "im not going to lie, i have a pretty huge erection"

ian watson

Quinn your a whackjob with a wrench, and i mean that in only the most honest of ways....

You inspire me with your injunity... But my .02 is **** the daily finish the wagon!
    OldSkoolCustoms

More old toyotas then common sense

edit: I deleted power steering and power brakes while I was at it (I have manual brakes in my wagon and like them). And was forced to delete the heater because I bent my switching valve on the firewall accidentally.
    SpeedHero

LOL, apperantly it runs, quinn your a nutjob but also a hero for not having proper tools and almost getting the job done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Shooter View Post
    Sometimes I let my catnip hang out of my fly. They always go for it.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

White AE86 -1987 - My Daily
    Phase I
    Exterior - Mostly Complete 90%?
    Interior - Cleaned up and together.
    Engine - Drives well, needs power though..

Spent a bit more time fitting the starter. Before I just had a lower bolt and swung it into the flywheel. The upper bolt obviously didn't line up, and when you cranked it, it'd start the motor then push the starter aside. So I had to grind up a pedal mount pin and pass it the upper starter mount hole to block the starter from moving away from the flywheel. Starts everytime now. Had it running for about 5 minutes straight bleeding the cooling system, seems to idle on it's own after about 30 seconds. Still setting up the pukable push through tercel electric fan. Test drive when the clutch parts come.

Pennies and quarters seem to do the job when trying to fill intake and exhaust emissions related hole. No JB weld was used in this process. Worried about what it'll be like on fuel with no vacuum advance.
    SpeedHero

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolcool View Post
    Quinn your a whackjob with a wrench, and i mean that in only the most awesome of ways....Honestly

You inspire me with your injunity... But my .02 is **** the daily finish the wagon!
    i gapped out this is what i meant to say :S i cant multitask my bad broskies
    OldSkoolCustoms

Progress made today. After calling DHL for many days, they finally figured out how to drive a package to my house. Clutch stuff is here! Spent this morning working on the front suspension, putting in the new tercel shocks and AE86 struts and brakes. Installed my extra long lower control arms, and then tried to open up my tie rods with a pipe wrench.....no luck. Panicked a bit worrying about the new 45 degrees of toe out. Then, I checked out the tercel, WAYYYY longer tie rods. Woot! Those are to install next. hopefully they give me the length I need. Clutch pedal to go in this afternoon. Dreading the idea of removing the brake booster to snake the clutch master in. Bleck.
    SpeedHero

Edit: The AL12 tercel tie rods were actually too long causing sever toe out. Cut them down a bunch, but there is still more to go. Trying not to have to remove my steering rack spacers. Maxed the caster and threw on some supras....Going to have to roll the fenders. With the crazy caster and now much wider track width, there are obvious rubbing issues. Can't wait to feel how the new sway bar bushings and tercel strut inserts feel. Like to get the toe sorted in the morning, and then drop the back. I have eibach springs, and kub GR2's for the rear to throw in.

Clutch pedal install tomorrow, and then I'll force someone at gun point to bleed my brakes for me. Brake fluid makes me want to puke.
    SpeedHero

why is the front end wider?

also long tie rods= toe in.

In Toyota, we rust.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Min View Post
    why is the front end wider?

also long tie rods= toe in.
    u are such a retard you dont drift (and when you try you crash) you have no money you dont drive a rolla u just suck.
    had fun once.......once.

Quote Originally Posted by jay whit View Post
    u are such a retard you dont drift (and when you try you crash) you have no money you dont drive a rolla u just suck.
    Dude there is no need to put this in quinns thread.. if you have something to say to jeff PM him..

Quote Originally Posted by pitobread View Post
    I saw this guy eat a whole bag of Jalape?o cheezits in one sitting. After that moment I would trust him with my life.
    1982 Toyota Hilux Pickup- Daily
    1982 Toyota Corolla Wagon- Track car

I....uh....have custom extra long lower control arms I installed. Thus the need for longer tie rods.
    SpeedHero

Ah. wasnt aware of what was going on with your toe out/crazy arms/mismatched tierods.... cool.
    Last edited by J-Min; 05-05-2011 at 08:43 PM.

In Toyota, we rust.

**** you ****ing rain. Why the **** are you ****ing raining i just want to get under the car and put my ****ing clutch slave in so i can funcking drive my ****ing car, but here you are ****ing raining making a huge puddle and soft mud all over the ****ing place i'm sick of working in the ****ing mud ****.
    SpeedHero

you have a extra hood from a tercel.. use it for ground dryness ness

Quote Originally Posted by pitobread View Post
    I saw this guy eat a whole bag of Jalape?o cheezits in one sitting. After that moment I would trust him with my life.
    1982 Toyota Hilux Pickup- Daily
    1982 Toyota Corolla Wagon- Track car

legit Idear!
    SpeedHero

lmao try working at an autowreaker for a a year or so. winters awesome!
    OldSkoolCustoms

quinn you are my hero, im almost tempted to drive all the way up north just to bleed your clutch for you
    My corolla is cooler then yours

I drove it a few feet today. The thing moves under it's own power.

-Toe is still In. I've run out of Cutting disc to cut them shorter.

-Electric fan still needs wiring. How the hell does the AL12 Tercel actuate the fan for the 3ac?????

-Rear needs lowering. The fronts down about 2" the rear end needs to go aboot the same. I have Eibach springs and Saab KYB shocks to go in.

-No Lambo doors yet....

-Exhaust has a leak somewhere, probably due to having to dodge the clutch slave. It wouldn't be so bad, but my homemade trans mount sits the trans a little low, and makes the exhaust contact greater.

-Dialed the Caster out so the wheel don't run into the front of the arches anymore. Longer lower control arms pull your caster like crazy!

-Brakes need bleeding. I HATE bleeding brakes more than anything else in the world.
    SpeedHero