Thread: Toyo Proxes T1R vs Nitto Invo vs Michelin Pilot PS2

Toyo Proxes T1R vs Nitto Invo vs Michelin Pilot PS2

Hey DK!

It's been a while since I came to the DK forums! How is everyone?

Reason why I'm posting this in Off-Topic is because I'm looking for tires NOT for the AE86. I'm looking for tires for my current daily driver.

For my AE86, I ran Michelin X-Ice in the winter and Toyo Proxes T1R in the summer, and was quite happy with both.

Currently I'm looking at 3 different tires:
    Toyo Proxes T1R
    Nitto Invo
    Michelin Pilot PS2

If you want to reply now, you can do so. The rest of the message is just me and my thoughts about each tire and why I'm having a hard time choosing.

==========

Now, for the T1R, I was happy with those. Good in dry, good in wet. Road noise not so bad. Tread wear life was longer than I had expected it to be. This is my first choice, only because I have had experience with them before and I'm a bit biased.

As for the Nitto Invo, I've heard both good and bad things about it. It has a funny unconventional tread pattern, but apparently it's completely functional. I hear road noise is minimal and can put power to the ground when it needs to. I also heard that it does well in the wet and dry, and corners well. But then I read online that cornering sucks, and it doesn't do as well in the wet as it claims. Anyone have any personal experience with this?

My last possible choice is the Michelin Pilot PS2. Now, looking at this summer-only tire, it looks almost like an all-season tire with the tread pattern that it has, so I'm not sure how it's being praised and rated so high for doing well in the wet. It has one of the highest ratings/recommendations I've seen and was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with it?

I do have a 4th choice, and that would be the Goodyear Eagle F1. I've heard good things about this, and it looks just like the Toyo Proxes T1R. Again, I would choose the T1R only because I've had personal experience with it.

Thoughts? Comments?

Cheers!
    - TVK -

"There's A Vid In All Of Us!"
    "Do You Know How I Fix Rusty Cars? I Buy A New One." - Ben (Soulibrium)

check out the tire tack tests
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...vlet?tireMake=
    you can look up almost any tire, and even read owner reviews -
    Speed Kills - Drive a Honda and live Forever
    http://twitter.com/coryinsales

narfy is offline gigidy gigidy... ooo right!!
    i'd go with the michelin pilot super sport or the toyo proxes T1-R...
    VZN185 - 32" BFG AT, OME suspension, ARB bumper, lightforce lights, TRD trans cooler, TRD exhaust, AMT sliders, budbuilt plates...
    ZN6 - stock with HIDs and LEDs...
    fng@regencyauto.com

Dunlop direzza star spec.

Amazing in wet and dry
    1985 Corolla GTS 4agze: SOLD
    1986 Reg Cab 4x4 Pickup 22rte

Hankook r-s3, but as far as I can tell not available in Canada so have them shipped to the border.
    Owned too many different modified toyotas to list LOL

I have the Star Specs and do like them. For long wide turns they are great, I found the Azenis were better for harder tighter turns.

I know these were not on the list but I would just go with the one with the better prices at the time. Both great tires. Btw I haven't tried the new Azenis yet because I got better deal on the Star Specs

Quote Originally Posted by jeetS View Post
    Dunlop direzza star spec.

Amazing in wet and dry

666 is offline Tested positive for Corolla
    Quote Originally Posted by Silly Wabbit View Post
    I have the Star Specs and do like them. For long wide turns they are great, I found the Azenis were better for harder tighter turns.

I know these were not on the list but I would just go with the one with the better prices at the time. Both great tires. Btw I haven't tried the new Azenis yet because I got better deal on the Star Specs
    The new new Azenis (615K not just 615) are ****ing great! In wet and dry to boot. Really I dont think i will ever run a different tire.

1987 Toyota Corolla GTS Coupe
    1982 Toyota Corolla 5spd Wagon RIP donor to the 81'
    1981 Toyota Corolla Auto Wagon *Now* 5spd Drifto
    1980 Toyota Corolla 4Spd Sedan
    1982 Toyota Corolla 5spd Wagon
    1981 Toyota Corolla Auto Wagon

Thanks for all the replies, guys!

I've been out of the tire-loop for a few years. I've never heard of the Michelin Pilot Super Sport and looked it up, and I was really impressed with the specs and what reviews I've read about it. It looks like it just came out...?

I also didn't know there was a Hankook R-S3, either.

I'm needing 225/45 R17 tires, so I looked up the RS-3, T1R, and the Super Sport.

- The Hankook Ventus RS-3 is the least expensive of the three at $116 per tire. Reviews say it's a good track tire, but has a pretty low tread life and hydroplanes at lower speeds than other performance tires. Apparently a great track tire, but I would have to get them shipped to the boarder to pick up? A little too much hassle for me, I think.

- The Toyo Proxes T1R are the most expensive of the three at $253 per tire. Had these on my AE86. I also had the previous (now obsolete) version, the T1S, and I liked them and was biased to these, but looking at other options.

- The Michelin Pilot Super Sport seems to be the best bang for your buck at $189 per tire. It is as good, and even better, than the T1R in every area of tire spec. It also has longer tread life than the T1R.

Oh and as for the Azenis, I've also read that the 615K is more grippy than the 615, and pretty decent for autocrossing but tread life is pretty short. I tracked on the 615s and they were okay. Maybe I should have mentioned that I need tires that are able to put 300 ft/lbs of torque down into the road.

Balancing performance and comfortability and long tread life as a street tire, as well as considering price, the Super Sport seems to be the tire of choice and will probably be the tire I end up going with. Interesting. Thanks Narfy for letting me know about it.

If anyone knows anyone who has personal experience with the Super Sport, please don't hesitate to ask them how it is and what they like and don't like about it, and post their response here.

Thanks again for all your suggestions guys!
    Last edited by The VidKid; 05-15-2011 at 07:00 AM.
    - TVK -

"There's A Vid In All Of Us!"
    "Do You Know How I Fix Rusty Cars? I Buy A New One." - Ben (Soulibrium)