Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 16v to BT20v

visean is offline Yo, troubled night in the John
    Hey Oz, I'm Sean, the guy you met with for diner a couple weeks ago with Duy, jojo and Gary.

Great job on the car. Very nice and clean in person. Your blacktop is noticeably quicker than mine
    I feel like the pictures do really well at telling the story of the build - You must love your job!

Quote Originally Posted by visean View Post
    Hey Oz, I'm Sean, the guy you met with for diner a couple weeks ago with Duy, jojo and Gary.

Great job on the car. Very nice and clean in person. Your blacktop is noticeably quicker than mine
    I feel like the pictures do really well at telling the story of the build - You must love your job!
    cool, thanx man.
    Last edited by rotundus; 03-03-2013 at 03:38 AM.

Ive been debating on which cams to get.... toda, kelford cams, HKS, etc... I wanted to keep VVT.

I decided to go for those new tomei "drop in" poncams 264 9.0mm lift. I heard allot of good reviews with these tomei cams. Jeff at orionengineeredmotorwerks.com highly recommend them.

Supposedly 15 hp with no other modifications needed on stock ecu. Drop in and walk away.

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp...s/viewall.html

Bought an adjustable exhaust cam gear from T3. Along with other T3 goodies.

Cams where properly dialed to maximum height with dial gauge and degree wheel.

After the install... noticed mid-top range power for sure. There might be some improvement there but I cant tell. My obx 4-1 might be restricting quite abit. Need to install my Tri-Y 4-2-1.

Grunt from the stacks are louder.

Theres a slight noticeable lopey idle.

Wont dyno till new year but... supposedly they respond very well with additional engine mods.Tomei highly recommends an aftermarket ECU in order to take full advantage of there drop in cams.
    Last edited by rotundus; 03-01-2015 at 10:23 AM.

Finally manual rack got installed.

New inner and outer rods, boots, mk3 intermediate shaft, T3 bushing and other crap. Rack was sand blasted then painted with POR-15.

Steering feels great. Nice and nibble.

Tri-y 4-2-1 headers also went in.

I have good and bad things to say about these headers....

The GOOD:

- These headers look bad ass!
    - Slight change in my exhaust note. Its now louder, deeper and less raspy. It sounds incredible!!!!
    - The pipping is huge compared to the older 4-1 obx headers
    - Engine revs more freely then ever. Less restriction
    - Great throttle response!
    - My TOMEI cams are defiantly responding well to these. The missing key that held them back.
    - Noticeable increase in LOW end torque, MIDS and im sure extra HP in the HIGHS i hope?!?
    - Im guessing that im the first person to have these installed on a BT20v in BC?!?

The BAD:

- Alot of little modification and tweaks are required. Very time consuming.
    - Be prepared to do numerous of annoying test fits
    - The flanges have to be modified/trimmed abit to fit
    - Can only run these with a MANUAL RACK setup!
    - Highly recommend getting a helping hand when bolting these headers onto the head... it will reduce the frustration.
    - Had to weld the down pipe into a one piece due to holding springs snapping.
    - The supplied springs are stainless and weak. They break when stretched into place.

Overall shiiiittty install.... but worth the hassle once its in. SHould look nice once they bake and turn golden.

Last edited by rotundus; 03-01-2015 at 10:25 AM.

Great info about the header, thanks! Were there other options? What made you decide to go a-head and buy this particular brand?

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    Great info about the header, thanks! Were there other options? What made you decide to go a-head and buy this particular brand?
    Its a copy of a $1500 formula Atlantic style header. For $450 its as good as its going to get.

Upgraded to them because i heard they preform pretty well and its cheaper then the real thing.

Other 20v header options? Ummm, theres 4-1 obx thats what i had from before.

Toda makes a tuned 4-2-1 and 4-1 header for RHD Corollas. Unfortunately they won't fit in LHD Corollas because of the steering shaft. I wonder if you could just buy the manifold and fab your own downpipe?

4-2-1 ?98,000
    http://www.toda-racing.co.jp/en/prod...ani/4ag-1.html

4-1 ?98,000
    http://www.toda-racing.co.jp/en/prod...ni/4ag-41.html

$1000 for toda. eh Even if u have to modify even more.

K1 motorsports make a tuned header for the 20v aswell.... but its in the 1500 dollars range.

http://www.k1motor.net/Cusco%20Heade...ing%20AE86.htm

http://www.k1motor.net/header_info.htm

MIght aswell get the obx 4-2-1 and modify it. Will be cheaper.

Your car is awesome.
    Are you going to dyno it? I'm curious to see how much HP it would make.

Goodbye T3 stacks. Hello 110mm.

Last edited by rotundus; 03-01-2015 at 10:26 AM.

Where are those from. They look great and should add some nice low end due to the longer runner length and hopefully their port is more precise too!

one sexy bt build you got there

he should gain all throughout the powerband because not only is it lengthen, but it has a larger opening rather than just extending it at the base

I would guess: SamQ parts?
    1984 blacktop coupe
    1982 Corolla wagon - STOLEN

There is a reason the JSP FA header is the price it is. He also has the rights to their design. Unlike OBX.
    BCWORKS

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    There is a reason the JSP FA header is the price it is. He also has the rights to their design. Unlike OBX.
    Didnt he try suing them? I rember there was a heated topic on clubage about dat.

Yeah I remember hearing that too... I thought that OBX had shut down for a while due to that... but they seem to be doing well.

Sam-Q Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by visean View Post
    Where are those from. They look great and should add some nice low end due to the longer runner length and hopefully their port is more precise too!
    My customers have found they give a increase in the mid and top end revs. 4AGE and 3SGE BEAMS engine love long stacks. 70mm is too short for any 4age even with huge cams. The internal opening is within 0.25mm per side.

What I like about this cars build is the attention to detail, you couldn't pay any workshop to do this kind of work.

Quick test fit today. Side by side T3 looks tiny.

First thing i noticed is the sound is fuucking nuts at high rpm. I cant explain the incredible noise open 110mm stacks make.

Sams right... From my first test drive i already noticed power through the mids. Top end im not to sure.

-
    Last edited by rotundus; 03-01-2015 at 10:27 AM.

That's incredible. I drove Sean's 20V the other day and I was super excited the rest of the day! You must be happy, non?

Is it difficult to remove the rev limiter? What RPM are you limited to?