Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1981 320i build (pic heavy)

1981 320i build (pic heavy)

Yea I know it's not a Toyota but this is what I've been working on lately. Picked it up for my old man, it needs quite a bit of work but you guys might find it remotely interesting.

Picked this bad body up for the cost of storage since the owner couldn't afford to pay and couldn't afford to fix it either. Looked a real mess with the e36 bumpers and skirts on it, custom stitched interior in blue (blue overloaded interior) and also had a blown headgasket.

We got it home, cleaned it up and started to tear down the motor to fix the headgasket. When we finally got it apart it looked atrocious. The car had been sitting for 8 years with coolant and stuff in the cylinders literally destroying the cylinders. Needless to say I'm not a big enough purist to want to tear down and completely rebuild the motor, so we pulled the thing out and ordered an M50B25.

While I waited for that to come in I spent some time taking apart the front end, removing the e36 bumpers/skirts, removing the interior and addressing the rust spots. Previous patches were installed with rivets so I tore them out and will be welding in new metal and sealing it properly. The rear quarter panels were filled with house insulation so I pulled all that out (itchy!!) and cleaned the interior as best I could. I also removed most of the suspension as the springs had been cut and wouldn't pass safety. I found an 81 at the junkyard with brand new suspension, strut tower bar, rad, fenders, rear bumper and some other goodies we grabbed to restore the car back to it's factory look.

Next step is to cut out the rust and patch it all up. After that we'll install the 2.5L inline six (about 190hp).

The day we got it home:

Came with four brand new rims (not my taste) which we sold and got back the entire price we paid for the car:

Tearing the motor apart:

New parts:

Stripping e36 parts and prepping for rust work:

Degreased the entire engine bay and crossmember to prepare for custom motor mount brackets (it was just COVERED with grease like an inch thick):

The motor came in last friday, looks so badass:

Car looks gross. Glad to see you are FIXING it

In Toyota, we rust.

Did a frenchman own that interior?
    I am your 4ajesus

I am a frenchman and I would not own that interior.

30 years of neglect will do that. Damn bro! 2.5L M50 will own in that chassis! almost 200hp and 1000kg

Well 800 kg after all that rust.

Holy aids motor! Shame you got rid of those rims though.
    "mmmango!"

The rims were not bad, but they won't suit the car without the front bumper and side skirts. We're sticking with the stock wheels for now until we can afford something a little bigger. This is an extreme budget build, so far we've paid maybe $300 for everything after selling those rims and selling the motor/transmission and spare motor for scrap metal. Still lots of work to do though.

Is it wrong that I like those gauges?

Looks like a neat build!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmym View Post
    Is it wrong that I like those gauges?
    Nope, kinda cheezy but they are BMW propellor logos

The retrimmed seats and panels are cool. Swap out the other crap for black, paint the car white.

1970 KE17 Project
    1969 KE10 Slider

Made lots of progress on this the last few days, fixed the floor:

So after I tackled the floor and got it all back to one solid piece with no rust, it was time to tackle the engine bay. The driver side frame rail was a real mess, having been patched at least two times previously and still rotting through from those patches. I had 16 gauge steel cut to the right length and width from my metal supply store, then spent a solid hour on each one bending them into the right shape. What I was left with was near replica's of the stock frame section that needs replacing, but made out of new metal. They are also slightly longer than the sections I plan on replacing. This is because I'm going to be leaving certain good sections of the old frame in, and extending this one past them to a few connecting points so that it ends up being stronger than factory rails.

I started on the passenger side rail because it was in better shape it would be easier to get the new rail fitted and then I could just copy the process for the most part on the much more rotten driver side. They are designed to slide under the top of the stock rail so that the top of the rail looks untouched, but they completely replace all the other sides. Once welded in and smoothed over the repair should be nearly unnoticeable and much stronger.

Before:

New rail:

Two different test fits, one over, one under the factory frame rail top. Probably going under the factory top, it fits better and will give a cleaner final product:

Ok so today I got the other side of the frame rail mocked up, also bolted the crossmember in to make sure everything was where it was supposed to be. It's all ready for welding now (save a bit of cleaning on the old metal). In reality this is something anyone can do in their garage (replace a frame rail that is). My tools were a cut off wheel, die grinder, vice and 16 gauge steel to bend and cut and fit everything together. Oh and a few BIG hammers lol. I took lots of pictures of how the frame patch fits in case anyone else tackles this kind of job on their car.

Passenger side patch in place and showing the rear patch sliding into place (remember a patch on the apron will cover all this up at the end).

The other side with the two rails in place:

Driver side frame rail showing old patches and holes:

Strut tower hole (to be fixed later):

There were acorns in both frame rails, I'm betting some little chipmunk was living in there at one point since my driveway is so infested with them lol:

Showing the inside of the driver side frame and some of the previous patches that were on it:

I had to sweep like every 20 minutes because the hammering and cutting was causing so much debris to get in my way:

Leftovers:

Test fitting the cross member and setting up the front frame pieces to tack in:

so sexy, E21's are hawt

any luck selling the starlet?

1991 Tercel 4A-GEsmallport RIP 09/02/2011 - - 1993 Supra.
    05 IS300 Daily

No luck selling the starlet you buy? you buy now? I'll give you for good price!

Too bad my truck hasnt sold yet ......would buy you starlet in a heartbeart! So fecking jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by widebodystarlet View Post
    No luck selling the starlet you buy? you buy now? I'll give you for good price!
    nah... i has expensive toys lol... plus i just bought a new daily driver, so another car is out of the question

1991 Tercel 4A-GEsmallport RIP 09/02/2011 - - 1993 Supra.
    05 IS300 Daily

Almost done this project:

Crap that motor looks huge in there!

Quote Originally Posted by 616racing View Post
    Crap that motor looks huge in there!
    that's what she said!
    lolwut

Badass. How did the rust repair end up?
    BCWORKS