Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: I put the smack down like its rehab.

Quote Originally Posted by dano View Post
    great work so far...needs more pics!
    In due time....
    Things have gotten even slower. havent had a lot of time/money to do much to the car.
    Decided to take up snowboarding! bought all my own gear, now my leg muscles and my wallet hate me. Oh well. Got my lugnuts+locks, and its supposed to be nice this weekend so hopefully the next pictures I put up of the car it will have painted fenders and be sitting pretty on the new wheels!
    Car still feels awful driving around, and im having more electrical problems, doesnt seem like the battery likes to hold a charge. Ill look at it this weekend. Hopefully I can grab the rest of my front suspension and a manual rack setup (STILL havent) soon, really looking forward to that, and to getting my r&p and the rest of the seals/gaskets etc to finish my rear end. Once the new wheels are on im gonna have to adjust the suspension (and alignment time), maybe even soften my shocks a bit. Getting sick of daily driving a tank.
    Aaaaaaaaaaand! im think 7age on carbs!
    we'll see how long that lasts....I change my mind more often than I change underwear.

Long time, no post.
    Heres how the car looks now.

You can really see the rake I got going on. Need to lower the rear more, as soon as I roll the rear arches more.
    Have had the problem of a leaky gas tank for a while now. Decided to finally drop the tank and have a look at fixing it rather than just never filling up over half a tank. Grabbed a gasket from country hills toyota as I immidiately assumed itd be the filler neck gasket, but I think I may have been wrong there...
    Upon further inspection, it appears the valve at the top of the filler neck isnt even closing properly. I feel so dumb that I never noticed that before...

You can see the shadowy part is actually the gap the valve is leaving when it is supposedly shut. Doh.
    Even weirder, from pictures and stuff ive seen around the web, shouldnt there be a round piece around the bottom of the filler neck that is bolted or screwed to the rest of the tank so that you can take it apart into two pieces?

Anyways, fear I may need a new tank as im not too sure how I could even go about fixing this. If anyone has a used gts tank that doesnt leak, let me know!! Will probably put up a WTB as well...
    and news on parts ive acquired, I finally got a manual rack. Aw11 rack, got brand new inner tie rods, and t3 outers. Just waiting on a AJPS spacer.
    and I want to do extended LCA's now so ill probably pick up t3's weld on kit, but im scared now my tie rods will be too short if I go an inch wider with the LCA's.
    Fail...

Oh yeah, rewind a month. Officially graduated high school!!!

well not quite officially yet... still waiting on diploma marks to come in the mail

Your car looks really good man, even though it's a hatch I think aftermarket tanks you can't unbolt the filler kneck. But I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JOshua a View Post
    Your car looks really good man, even though it's a hatch I think aftermarket tanks you can't unbolt the filler kneck. But I could be wrong.
    Haha thanks man. Oh, that would make sense I suppose, thanks for the reply. Still trying to find another gas tank. Went to pick n pull today but found nothing. However, there is a sc400 there with a 1uz in it. Looks like everything was there, figure id mention that as Im sure someone on this board would be interested...

Wow u just gradded HS? Good job doing work man, you're ahead of the curve

Don't do carbs on a daily driver. You will hate life and get 15mpg.

Sent from my HTC-X710a using Tapatalk 2

1970 KE17 Project
    1969 KE10 Slider

Love your hatch build! Thats crazy your so on point with cars and your just gradding highschool.

I don't think you need to worry about your tie rods not being long enough when extending LCAs one inch. Mine are 1 1/8th inch extended and they worked fine with power inner and outters. Unless the T3 outters are somehow shorter then standard ae86 power outters then LCAs extended an inch should work out fine for you.

You still on the Napa clutch? If you end up needing to replace it, I recommend getting the Ebay XTD clutch that comes with lightweight flywheel and ceramic clutch for about 300 bucks. Its a little harsh for street at first but once you break it in and get used to driving on it you'll like it.

Quote Originally Posted by do-boy View Post
    Wow u just gradded HS? Good job doing work man, you're ahead of the curve
    Haha yeah man, Picked a hell of a first car, eh? Thanks do-boy, means a lot. I still remember wanting to buy your coupe that had the unicorn painted on the side of it haha, that thing was rad

Quote Originally Posted by Cbergerud View Post
    Don't do carbs on a daily driver. You will hate life and get 15mpg.

Sent from my HTC-X710a using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks for your opinion, I understand that my mpg will probably get worse, but at the end of the day, its my car and I'll do what I want with it. And I think carbs are bloody cool

Quote Originally Posted by MartyL View Post
    Love your hatch build! Thats crazy your so on point with cars and your just gradding highschool.

I don't think you need to worry about your tie rods not being long enough when extending LCAs one inch. Mine are 1 1/8th inch extended and they worked fine with power inner and outters. Unless the T3 outters are somehow shorter then standard ae86 power outters then LCAs extended an inch should work out fine for you.

You still on the Napa clutch? If you end up needing to replace it, I recommend getting the Ebay XTD clutch that comes with lightweight flywheel and ceramic clutch for about 300 bucks. Its a little harsh for street at first but once you break it in and get used to driving on it you'll like it.
    Thanks for the kind words man!! Yeah I have my family to thank for getting me into cars from a very young age. Much appreciated with the LCA info, im gonna order up the t3 lca weld on kit after I sort out my gas tank issues, and we'll just have to find out! I have more faith now though so thanks. Yeah the napa clutch is still in the car. Its starting to slip a lot and shifting is getting tougher so its probably going soon, to be honest im kind of suprised it lasted as long as it did! Ive been looking into getting something more aggressive anyways, and that sounds like a sweet setup! I usually doubt the quality of ebay goods, but if you can vouch for it ill look into it! Thanks!
    Last edited by StreetShark; 07-17-2012 at 02:22 AM.

Still no luck finding a gas tank. Gonna head to pick n pull again this weekend. Swear the people there should know me by name by now.
    and does Anyone know a place, perferably in canada or the us, where I could get some cool lexan windows from?

man i wish i was that cool in HS, i was still interested in domestic garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Dugwillis View Post
    man i wish i was that cool in HS, i was still interested in domestic garbage
    Haha thanks man, but it was actually the exact opposite. The kids with the automatic, v6, mustangs got all the attention. Nobody ever liked my car, It was funny how many times I had other kids come up to me and ask "Clayton, I thought you were into cars, why do you drive a crappy old toyota? You saving up for a mustang?"

haha sick 'stang bro.

fight the power

You're name is Clayton too? you must be pretty cool.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Yeah, claytons are generally pretty awesome people.

So instead of having my car up on stands in the driveway while I struggle to find another tank, figured Id just throw the old one in there so I could drive it.
    Lowered it more and rolled the fenders with the help of my dad, did the old wedge a pipe in there and drive it backwards, actually worked really well.
    Gonna finish that up tomorrow, and gonna see how a wood grain vinyl wrapped dash looks, I managed to grab a real nice dash and glovebox from pick n pull to experiment with.
    Also have to figure out more wiring gremlins.
    Its getting pretty ridiculous.
    So whenever I turn the car on, the driver side corner light is on, even when the switch is off. and whenver I flick on the lights even to driving lights the car just dies. When the car is off and I flip the lights up, one of them is burnt out, almost like it was getting too much power. Im gonna experiment tomorrow if I can turn on other accessories without it dying, or if its only with the lights.
    Anyways, weirdest ****** happens with this car lol... anyone have any insight?
    will probably try taking it for a drive tomorrow anyway during the day so I wont need the lights. I miss it.

Spoke to soon. Car doesnt even start now, just fires.
    Intersting thing to note is that the CEL no longer comes on when the key is turned to on. Also, may just be coincidence, but my deck no longer works too.
    Grrrr... back to the drawing board.

last time that happened (no cel) we replaced the fuse box on the driver side engine bay, not the one on the positive post BAM! gtg

Checked every fuse on the car, theyre all ok. Im thinking it might be a relay or something, still no check engine light, but the car starts, and then will just die. If I tap the pedal while its running all you here is just a very loud wooosh like its sucking in a lot of air and no fuel, so maybe the injectors arent firing? Starts off the cold start injector and then dies because the others arent firing? efi main relay? something ecu related? Still trying to figure it out.
    Missed out on the 86 day speedhunters shoot/meet so im pretty bummed
    Anyway, here some crappy iphone pics of the rig...

woodgrain'd my dash. Terribly done and looks quite tacky but I love it.

Also spray painted my carpet black

Still trying to figure out how to get her running, but once I do, my AJPS parts came from australia so I just need to get some extended lca, either make em myself or buy a set, then I can install my manual rack and finish up the front suspension stuff, then move on to finally finishing the rear end ive been building. Things just keep going wrong making all these rather simple things take years to do. Think ive had the tomei 2 way in my closet for a little over a year now... Also going to get a friend of mine to make me a fibreglass lip, & I also still need to wire my kouki signals!! And still need to figure out why the headlights were killing the car :/ and why my deck wont work! what will I do without tunes!
    ugh.
    Lets get her to start first.

ps turned 18 yesterday

I love this car. Simply cool. Keep it up man.