Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: I put the smack down like its rehab.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    Will ignore all questions until you buy a standalone.
    Agreed, get MS3 or get ready for a garbage running engine. Only jank honda owners run oem and boost or safc.

Quote Originally Posted by woodenturn View Post
    DK should ban such nonsense. 2 cents~ sr86 www.dorikaze.net/showthread.php?32933-Elizabeth

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    Will ignore all questions until you buy a standalone.
    Lol. As somebody who has been trying to make a 22rte work on re electronics, no, just no. Clicks on the afm put the computer in a different load cell, with the wrong ignition advance (in the wrong direction). I've gotten away with it so far because the 22rte is a truck motor with 7.5:1 comp. na 4age not so much.

Sent from my HTC-X710a using Tapatalk 2

1970 KE17 Project
    1969 KE10 Slider

No way I plan to afford a standalone any time soon so thanks for the offer for your help but I'll try and figure this out for the time being!
    ★彡SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL NIGHT TERRORS夜の恐怖
    www.facebook.com/themnightterrors
    http://www.themnightterrors.bigcartel.com/

stock t25 opens at 7psi on an SR. i havent had it spike. i have a HKS adjustable actuator. you could make one, but the spring in the HKS unit is a bit stiffer. my t25 is set for 12-13psi. been like that for 3? yrs. iunno how much longer it will last for. track car only. driven like 5? times a year? lol

thats actually a sad realization ..

It will work, put slightly bigger injectors in it(no more than 10-15%) so like 230cc would be max. Drop your plug range down a few. Use a RRFPR. It will make ok power but don't expect good fuel economy and cold/low speed/idle will suffer. You won't see the full potential till you get a proper way to get fuel in it.

People did this **** for YEARs before standalone's were cheap Not ideal but it will work.

That said new a RRFPR costs as much as a MS1V3 and that is all you need to run a GTS. I think they are 189 for an unassembled kit and 40 to ship.
    1987 Corolla GTS Hatch | 1985 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1987 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1992 Tercel CE | 1992 Paseo | 2003 Corolla CE | 1974 Corolla 4 Door | 1978 Corolla Coupe | 1979 Corolla Hatch SR5 | <3||||||1990 Miata |||||| <3
    I like Toyota's wanna fight about it?

Also if you put 395cc injectors in your car there is a high likelyhood (see:100%) your car will not run.
    1987 Corolla GTS Hatch | 1985 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1987 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1992 Tercel CE | 1992 Paseo | 2003 Corolla CE | 1974 Corolla 4 Door | 1978 Corolla Coupe | 1979 Corolla Hatch SR5 | <3||||||1990 Miata |||||| <3

They were 315s anyways, the seller made a mistake
    Thanks for delivering some constructive quality feedback pitobread.
    I specifically remember a c4ag thread from like 2010 or 2011 that was pages and pages of 4agte setups on stock ecu's.

I have looked into ms units before, way back when I was planning to do 16v itbs I read about them quite a bit. It's just the thought of assembling one myself that sort of freaks me out. Wonder how in depth and easy to follow the instructions are, if it even comes with any. That being said I would like to get it running on the stock ecu, and be able to go ms after the fact.

I'll keep my options open. Supposed to warm up here in the next couple days so hoping to get my rad mounts welded in and get an alternator in the car. Need to polish/paint some wheelies too!

315 will still be a struggle.

Stock are 185cc? the ECU has no idea what size they are and will provide a pulsewidth for x rpm at x load at x temp. So you will end up with 70% more fuel all across the range. Try and get your car to idle with that is going to be extremely hard. That is why I am saying no more that 10-15% MAX larger injectors. 315 will still be too big, it will run like ****.

An MS1v3 is 219 the MS12v2.2 is 169. Both will work, I have done a complete writeup on how to make it work on a 4age in the tech reference section for a MS1v3. 2.2 will require slightly different board mods but it is easily attainable.

If you can solder half assed you can make a MS. there are 2 components that are a PITA because of the closeness of the leads, everything else is cake. I made my first ones with nothing more than a 45w radio shack pencil iron.

The assembly write up is bare bones but it tells you everything you need to know.

one struggle you will see with the factory set up is the load limiter... basically there's limits to how much afm angle the computer will "believe" as a function of rpm. doing the tradeoff between tightening the afm spring and increasing the injector size will alleviate this, but advance the timing a bit. try tweaking the base offset towards the retard side to keep your motor happy.

You're barking up a retard tree. We've all done it and failed.

Buy a MS, be happy with a car that actually runs. Ya it's ****ing complicated, but you'll learn so much doing it and be pretty proud of yourself in the end.

RETIRED

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShark View Post
    I specifically remember a c4ag thread from like 2010 or 2011 that was pages and pages of 4agte setups on stock ecu's.
    You should bump that thread for a roll call on how many of these setups are still functioning.

I suggest that you assume and accept that you will end your motor spectacularly within 6 months and factor that into your turbo budget.

1970 KE17 Project
    1969 KE10 Slider

tommy is offline Redneck engineer/machinist
    Why are you attempting a turbo build if you don't have the funds to go all the way? A bit like hoping to get to Japan but only have funds for a ticket to Hawaii... even if you buy that ticket, you won't reach japan by swimming on hopes and prayers...

This is the best bit of advice you could get.

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    Buy a MS, be happy with a car that actually runs. Ya it's ****ing complicated, but you'll learn so much doing it and be pretty proud of yourself in the end.
    TE31 1977 - 2T-B (traded)
    KE20 1974 - Destroked 7A, project "bigblock A meets peanut" Link to build thread (Sold)
    AE95 1990 - 4A-GZE daily driven wagon...

I love your car, keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Why are you attempting a turbo build if you don't have the funds to go all the way? A bit like hoping to get to Japan but only have funds for a ticket to Hawaii... even if you buy that ticket, you won't reach japan by swimming on hopes and prayers...

This is the best bit of advice you could get.
    This comment in particular bugs me the most. Why? Because I want to? is that ok with you man?

you sure?

cool. theres a fine line between being helpful and rude. Majority of people on forums walk that line daily!
    Anyway, to those speaking from experience, I understand your just trying to point me in the right direction, and I do appreciate that.
    And to the others making quality, constructive, polite comments with good facts and information to back it up, I appreciate that as well.
    Devon's got a good point, it would be kind of interesting/cool to assemble one, ignoring how intimidating it seems. Im sufficient at soldering however, Pitobread im going to look into those write ups you mentioned!

maybe I should just bite the bullet and start doing my homework on MS stuff, rather than doing my best to avoid it.
    Would I be able to come up with a decent tune myself? Or is everyone taking their cars to shops to get the standalones tuned?

Thanks JShray

Shop around as well I am picking up a MS2 this weekend completely assembled for $200. There are deals out there to be had, you just have to hunt.

The newest version of tunerstudio has an autotune feature. This will not set your timing curve, that needs to be done manually(coughstealsomeonescough), but you can input a baseline and it will assist you with getting the proper fuel maps off a A/F ratio you set. To get peak HP you need to dyno, everything else is an educated guess.

There are so many boosted 4age's out there finding maps for them is the easiest part.

I would also like to point out that I raced a dude who had a "fast" turbo largeport with my 3TC. My car was faster.

I'm sorry but instant regret. Same for another 6 months.

$300 MS or exploded motor.

How many more do you need.
    BCWORKS

tommy is offline Redneck engineer/machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by StreetShark View Post
    This comment in particular bugs me the most. Why? Because I want to? is that ok with you man?

you sure?
    Sorry if you took it that way, but what everybody is trying to make you realise is that the cost of a standalone will not equal the damage your engine will sustain when it'll blow up. Period.

Still want to do it? Ok with me... your car, your money. But better save some dough because trying to half ass things with a RRFPR and clicks on the AFM will only end up costing way way way more in the end... I've seen dozens of setup like that and it always ends in tears and empti(er) wallets.

...and "the best bit of advice" was refering to Devon's quoted comment
    TE31 1977 - 2T-B (traded)
    KE20 1974 - Destroked 7A, project "bigblock A meets peanut" Link to build thread (Sold)
    AE95 1990 - 4A-GZE daily driven wagon...

Hey all!
    You will be pleased to hear I'm on the lookout for a standalone setup to tackle the 4agte thing.

But here's a bummer, guess that safty 21 cage I have is for non sunroof models, making the bars about an inch or a few too long, hence my fitment issues as I have a sunroof model.
    So as it stands now interior is going back together without the cage as I either have to modify it, sell it and buy a proper fitting one, or maybe, by some stroke of luck, there is someone out there with a sunroof model cage looking for a non sunroof model cage, and we could trade

Anyway, I'll post up some pictures of the car when it's moving again and what not soon.

Hello.
    Spent lots of time in BC this month.
    Car is good, 4.77, 2 way, best thing I've ever done.
    I'll post up pictures from the illmotion show on here soon. Pretty happy with the progress.
    I've done some aluminum work too, made a fan shroud for my ebay civic rad and e fan and wired in a fan controller. Works cherry. Pretty stoked on it.

I need a battery though, anyone have any input on optima / oddessy / Braille / etc?
    I'd like something rather reliable, lightweight would be nice. Thinking of making an isolation switch too just to prevent anything from draining the battery.
    Also looking into those NST pulley kits with the 10% overdrive alt. pulley.
    If I can get a decent discount at toyota I might just grab a toyota battery but I'd like to hear some other input.