Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project: Yankee Lift Up (Winter Wars)

Project: Yankee Lift Up (Winter Wars)

Picked this open-box up 2 days ago.

22RE, base model, super minty. Absolutely no rot. Was an Arizona truck up until last year and has never seen snow... that's about to change.

Nothing crazy planned. Planned to keep it to plow through winter and then let it go. But the more I get into it the more I'll likely keep it as a CS shop truck for hauling parts, tires, etc.

Anyway, started tearing into it, making some changes, and playing around with it a bit so I snapped a couple quick photos as I was driving back into the city tonight... More to come.

---

HID headlights with clear H4 housings (with proper cut-offs), blacked out OEM bumper + grill, Tacoma wheels wrapped in Kumho M/T's.

Hug your block

Yankee style super small diameter wheel, 3 panel WINK mirror, 4Runner bucket seats, Trust weighted shift knob, Kenwood deck, amped speakers, smashed steering column surround because I don't give a ****.

Last edited by IllestVillains; 12-02-2011 at 07:49 PM.

Smashed steering column surround because you couldn't get it off properly? Come on now fess up.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

looks tidy, minus the column.

make sure to post up here on Dk when you sell.

I wish i had that wheel/tire comboner
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

how do you have hid's in h4 conversions with proper cutoff?

Quote Originally Posted by clay72 View Post
    Smashed steering column surround because you couldn't get it off properly? Come on now fess up.
    Someone had actually already broken it. It was rattley, had 3 stripped self tapping screws, and was spray painted black really poorly. I'll be picking up a replacement from pick n' pull. Need a glove box handle as well.

Ordered some big bubble window rain guards, and have been deciding what I want to run for an affordable lift (no body lifts). Will be doing some engine refreshing this weekend, undercoating it and hopefully have a chance to cut/polish the paint before we see bad weather.

Quote Originally Posted by jiggy View Post
    how do you have hid's in h4 conversions with proper cutoff?
    They're E code housings that mandate a cut-off, rather than DOT's which require overhead signs be illuminated (hence the glare that comes with them). It's not as sharp as retrofitting a projector, but the light concentration is dense and they don't blind people, and that's what I care about most.

(no body lifts)
    Sweet.

Looks like you are missing your front skidplate?
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Quote Originally Posted by clay72 View Post
    Sweet.

Looks like you are missing your front skidplate?
    It's in the bed in those photos. I removed it (them) while doing some inspection on the condition of things. Degreased it and going to hit them with a coat of powder and re-install them after undercoating it tonight.

Picked up a set of Depo clear bumper markers

Tach/Oil pressure treats for the winter beatz.

Sick! I just picked me up one of those too! I got a '95 ext cab base model. $1000. Love it! I've done some crazy mods like put on a chrome tailgate handle and fixed the exhaust leak. Its rad.

Here is a shot I just took to show off its rock crawling capabilities. Future plans include fixing some rust, washing it, getting rid of mildew smell, 33" tires, maybe gears, maybe long travel and coilovers, maybe a 3rz, and thats it.

Looks great, man! That actually looks clean by Alberta standards... they sell so much cheaper in BC, haha. I'm lucky mine's an Arizona truck and this is it's first snow fall. Clean as can be. Just need to finish undercoating it ASAP.

Similar plans as mine for the time being. If I keep it when I head to vancouver then I'll consider SAS'ing it and go a bit crazier... but for now, keeping the IFS, focusing on a bit more travel through coils/springs, and gears.

Picked up a front push bumper the other day with integrated winch plate + Warn 10,000lbs winch. Going to build a mount plate to mount a couple lights and install it this weekend.

My oversized bubble rain guards arrived within 2 days. Gotta love Japanese shipping... Forgot to post a picture. This was before we even got snow.

And since we have... the trucks' been a champ.

Hug Your Block

Last edited by IllestVillains; 11-28-2011 at 07:21 PM.

Cool! I'm looking at getting some duratracs for tires, they have a nice tread pattern and look like a good all around snow/street/offroad tire.

I love IFS, for anything short of the nastiest rock crawling trails, it does the job. add a set of these and it will be pretty good for mild wheeling and some high speed off road fun.

Quote Originally Posted by 616racing View Post
    Cool! I'm looking at getting some duratracs for tires, they have a nice tread pattern and look like a good all around snow/street/offroad tire.

I love IFS, for anything short of the nastiest rock crawling trails, it does the job. add a set of these and it will be pretty good for mild wheeling and some high speed off road fun.

Bingo! I live in Alberta. There is an endless see of jacked trucks that don't do jack ****. For the trails we do have, you don't need crazy articulation. A good tire, proper gears, and a good winch/recovery points goes a long way. I hate wasting money on **** I don't need, and I don't want this truck to look like it's trying to be anything it's not. As it stands, it handles great, rides great, and gets me through the brutal winters we get, while letting me have some fun off-road.

Duratracs are a great tire, especially for what you're looking to do with your truck.

Keep in touch with the progress on yours. Maybe one day we can wheel when I head out West in the spring. I'll probably end up keeping this thing... I'm already getting attached to it, haha.

Same here...I bought it so I didn't have to drive my diesel pig F450 around, and I freaking love it! I'm so tempted to put my race trucks 3rz in it though..... Gimme a shout when you're out here, I haven't been wheeling in years...we were like the god fathers of all the hardcore trails around here, then I got sick of breaking parts in the bush and got into racing. I would love to do some mild wheeling/exploring though.

Quote Originally Posted by 616racing View Post
    Same here...I bought it so I didn't have to drive my diesel pig F450 around, and I freaking love it! I'm so tempted to put my race trucks 3rz in it though..... Gimme a shout when you're out here, I haven't been wheeling in years...we were like the god fathers of all the hardcore trails around here, then I got sick of breaking parts in the bush and got into racing. I would love to do some mild wheeling/exploring though.
    Will definitely take you up on that. I've never been big into wheeling, actually. I was kind of the opposite... interest started in racing, then started buying Japanese 4x4 trucks because I got sick of trying to drive fast, low, modified, cars in the snow. It's just a pain in the ass and is worth it for a couple days out of the year, bu day-to-day driving sucks. We started doing some mild (see: illegal) wheeling on some crown land spots out of boredom, and it realized how fun it could be. I'm not really all that interested in mudding, or aggressive rock climbing, or anything like that... but I like the exploratory side of it. Having a capable rig that will get you through interesting trails, creeks, and all that... definitely fun.

Some iphone snaps of the winch bumper...

And snapped a quick photo in the river valley on my way home...

OEM rear bumper... dented, corroded, and sagging.

New Warn rear bumper

OEM rear bumper removed (dust, not rust)

New rear Warn bumper installed... fitment is excellent.

More ****ty iphone snaps... sorry.

Oil sandwich adapter showed up to run the sending unit for my electric oil pressure gauge..

Some general maintenance upgrades by NGK

Spark++ NGK PWRS~!!

Yakima rack... next up, Warrior roof basket whenever it decides to show up.

Last edited by IllestVillains; 12-14-2011 at 03:11 AM.

curious as to why roof racks on single cab?

how big is the roof basket?

pete