Thread: pics of custom cold air intake.

pics of custom cold air intake.

this is a cold air intake that i made for a fellow AE86er. it is made of 2.5 inch mandrel bent steel. it has been buffed and clear coated to prevent rust. we went with steel for cost. stainless would have been 3x the price.

as you may tell by the pics a 2.5 inch hole had to be made beside the radiator for the pipe to fit through. a 90 degree elbow was also used from the intake manifold to the air flow meter to get it in a better location. fairly easy job, looks good too.

AE92Wagoon is offline Molesting Tinker Bell since 76
    Looking really good. If your worried about corrosion check out the price's on aluminum, they might be coming into your price range. (China isn't buying Al as much at the moment) I would be more worried about corrosion on the inside of the piping then the outside. Not to mention Al looks pretty sweet when anodized, brushed or even polished.

Peter Pan Complex since 76
    Stealth on 4 wheels.
    Sam A.K.A. The Toothpick Ninja

Yeah, with where it's positioned, I would be more worried about moisture being sucked up into the tube and rusting up the insides.

It's a good large pipe for good air flow. Nice.
    - TVK -

"There's A Vid In All Of Us!"
    "Do You Know How I Fix Rusty Cars? I Buy A New One." - Ben (Soulibrium)

will it do anything for performance?

you will no doubt feel the difference! even if you are driving the car, its as if theres no loss in horsepower. i absolutely love it! thanks, adamturbo!
    Last edited by racer_b018; 10-26-2004 at 10:12 PM.

moisture wont be much of a problem at all. as the piping is all down hill it will drain out through the filter. i could have used aluminum BUT i do not have aluminum welding equipment . i could have also gotten the piping powder coated but as it stands i didnt profit much anyway for doing the job so i can leave that up to the customer if he desides to do it later.

Quote Originally Posted by adamturbo
    ... fairly easy job, looks good too.
    Dam right it looks good. I wouldn't worry about moisture, except for surface rust perhaps on the inside of the pipe. I've used similar J and U-bends before for a cold-air intake, and we never worried about rusting.
    - Brian

narfy is offline gigidy gigidy... ooo right!!
    how's it sound???
    VZN185 - 32" BFG AT, OME suspension, ARB bumper, lightforce lights, TRD trans cooler, TRD exhaust, AMT sliders, budbuilt plates...
    ZN6 - stock with HIDs and LEDs...
    fng@regencyauto.com