Thread: Work in progress pics

Work in progress pics

Not sure if this belongs here or in the tech discussion forum but anyway here we go.

It begins!

Pulled the gas tank out. It's rusted to the point of leaking THROUGH the tank casing in parts and also out of the seam between the filler neck and the tank (thankfully it only leaks if you tip it.) Back to square one - I ordered a brand new tank today (the RIGHT one this time, I hope.)

Not too bad looking underneath with the tank out - that panhard bar could use replacement though. No structural rust.

Old and new rear e-brake cables. Looks like I'll have to replace the front one sometime in the future too.

And now, the scary part...

One of the things my mechanic flagged me on for the safety inspection was a "small" rust hole behind the rear wheel, allowing exhaust gasses into the passenger area... Well, I took the plastic trim off and this is what I found...

Eek! Rust!

This is supposed to be sealed. A big chunk of bondo fell off while I was fiddling with the mudflap so it's already been repaired once. Not very well.

From the bottom

From the inside (underneath). Note where you can see the garage wall THROUGH the fender.

The driver's side isn't nearly as bad.

These are by far the worst rust spots on the car though... I'm just going to do a quick fix for now to get it on the road (probably pop rivet an aluminum plate over.) I'll fix it properly by welding in good metal when I do the tyre arches later.

I also found some issues that will have to be taken care of sometime:
    - The tail stalk is leaking gear oil and there seems to be some play in the diff (i.e. I can turn the driveshaft ~10 degrees before the wheels start to rotate)
    - Some of the hard brakelines look iffy
    - The panhard bar bushings have completely deteriorated, as has a rear sway bar grommet (hmm, that's an AWFULLY thin rear sway bar!)
    - A little oil on the rear shocks
    ...And a lot more misc. odds and sods that break on a twenty year old car.

Welp, that was my fun for the yesterday. I'll update as I keep working on it. Hopefully I can still get it on the road by this weekend.

- J
    Last edited by Jay; 11-16-2004 at 04:26 PM.
    FWD. Automatic. French. WTF.

so u got a brand new tank? how muc was that? im looking into a fuel cell so i figured id ask to compair prices.
    u dont alot of rust repair b4 or are you just gunna bondo it again?
    Mat 83 GTS Hatch 87 GTSR5 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by KingSpence View Post
    If only I put the same amount of effort into my schooling as I do my car. Education is important, but racecar is importanter.
    Stuff I'm Selling
    IG Mattyballz86

For now I'm just going to rivet some sheet metal in. This all gets hidden by the trim in front of the rear bumper anyway. My previous attempts at bondo & fiberglass didn't turn out all that well. Eventually if I can get my hands on a welder (actually if I can get my dad to teach me how to weld) I will weld it up. Otherwise I may just get a bodyshop to do it.

The new gas tank was $229 from CWS here in London. (The first tank I ordered, from the same place for $139, was for an AE80 FWD Corolla. I returned it.)

- J

Have you pulled up your carpet yet? That's a must do before getting it checked up for safety if that's what you're doing.

Make sure those rubber plugs are well in place, and rust isn't eating away around it.
    - TVK -

"There's A Vid In All Of Us!"
    "Do You Know How I Fix Rusty Cars? I Buy A New One." - Ben (Soulibrium)

Thankfully there is no rust on the floorboards (I had a good look from underneath). At one time the whole car was undercoated with "Diamond Kote" (some pretty serious sh^t) so it's not nearly as bad as it could be. Where it's rusting now is where the undercoating didn't reach.

- J

If I was ever in a situation to deal with those rear pockets in such a state as yours, I'd simply cut them off of the car in level with the top of the rear trunk area deck, then weld a straight peice of metal going out from the deck to the outside edge of the car. Sorry if my explanation is hard to follow. Those pockets are always big problems on these cars...and there's really no need to keep them if you're going to be doing any kind of restoration work as far as I'm concerned. Kill them!

Migs

1986 GT-S Hatchback, 2002 IS300 5MT w/LSD, 1991 22RE 4x4 Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by Jay
    Thankfully there is no rust on the floorboards (I had a good look from underneath). At one time the whole car was undercoated with "Diamond Kote" (some pretty serious sh^t) so it's not nearly as bad as it could be. Where it's rusting now is where the undercoating didn't reach.

- J
    Did you take a REALLY good close look? Because I couldn't find the small holes in my flooring until I actually pulled up the carpet, because the carpet cover the hole and road grime covers the carpet from underneathe, so basically you can't see the hole as well as if you were to pull up the carpet and can see where the holes are.

Pulling up your carpet is also a good ideas as rust CAN start to form on the INSIDE as well. That's what happened to me. I've taken care of half of that problem so far. I just gotta do the passenger side now.
    - TVK -

"There's A Vid In All Of Us!"
    "Do You Know How I Fix Rusty Cars? I Buy A New One." - Ben (Soulibrium)

Looks like your almost ready to get my parts there Jay! :-)

Let me know when you want to meet up,good luck on the rust repair-its a bitch.(trust me I know-remember I have the same 20 year old toyota after all)

ElectricSlide Guest
    man i give you props working with all that Rust.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricSlide
    man i give you props working with all that Rust.
    dude your from north cali. u gauys dont get rust do you? this car isnt that bad onsidoring what i see on the road everyday.lol
    but yeah i hate rust. i dont think i would work with it either
    Mat 83 GTS Hatch 87 GTSR5 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by KingSpence View Post
    If only I put the same amount of effort into my schooling as I do my car. Education is important, but racecar is importanter.
    Stuff I'm Selling
    IG Mattyballz86