Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3sgte conversion for te72

3sgte conversion for te72

i was at the right place at the right time and now own a 3sgte, what all would one need to convert it to rwd, i keep finding half assed VAge forums.

So whats the best trans setups? also anyone put one in a te72. and maintained the stock steering? I'm pretty pumped for this. i should be able to make it run of the stock ecu correct?
    OldSkoolCustoms

More old toyotas then common sense

There is a guy on 3tc garage. And look to Pauls stuff, it's similar.
    BCWORKS

tommy is offline Redneck engineer/machinist
    The only trans setup that bolt's up without fab is a W5X with a bellhousing out of an SA63 celica (early 80') that uses the 2S-C in RWD configuration...

Although you could alter any bellhousing on a RWD tranny in order to mate them to the engine, but it require lots of mesuring an someone that can weld aluminium pretty well... the 2S-C bellhousing is pretty straight-forward... you just use a W55 or W58 out of IS300, Any gen Supra or 3rd gen celica and mate it on the said bellhousing... use a 21 spline yoke on your driveshaft and you are done (same tranny lenght so no need to shorten the driveshaft)... You can use the tranny crossmember and support out of an auto car, along with the yoke (or front driveshaft section)... automatic A series tranny use the same support and yoke as the W manual tranny

You will need to use a rack and pinion steering to replace the steering box in order to clear the downpipe

The real problem here is mounting the engine... FWD 3S are leaned back and are designed to lean that way, so when bolted in RWD configuration, they lean on the passenger side which require to alter the cylinder head to drain the oil down from the back of the head... It's far from a bolt-on kinda of deal, but it's been done in a lot of corolla, mainly AE86, but probably E7X and even earlier models.

If you get the engine with all sensor, ECU and loom, you will have no problem running it on the stock ECU, but you need to upgrade the fuel pump to an EFI high pressure one

That is all that I can think of right now
    Last edited by tommy; 12-30-2011 at 07:53 AM.
    TE31 1977 - 2T-B (traded)
    KE20 1974 - Destroked 7A, project "bigblock A meets peanut" Link to build thread (Sold)
    AE95 1990 - 4A-GZE daily driven wagon...

This sounds like its gonna be fun.
    My Blog CarJunkies

ok so this is going to happen but most likely take over a year realistically.

so heres what I'm going to need (personal checklist)

88 celica alltrac 3sgte, wiring, ecu.
    AE7x series steering column/rack
    W5x trans
    21 spline D shaft
    Automatic A series Trans crossmember.
    Fuel Tank/Cell, EFI Pump

Lots of patience and adequate amounts of beer and smoke
    OldSkoolCustoms

I would go for a manual rack while you are at it. More space. Also you will want an AE72 or 86 front subframe to acomidate the rack.
    BCWORKS

Tommy's a little incorrect when it comes to trans setups.. W5x yes, but you dont need to worry about the S bellhousing from overseas..

Toaster van 'y' series bellhousings and 3vz/5vz bellhousings will bolt onto a 3s, you just have to move (cut n weld) one bolt tab on the housing.

Did your motor come with the alltrac transmission? or maybe a whole alltrac?

Brett
    '87 AE86 - GTSR5 - Daily Driver
    '72 RA21 Celica - 'Ill build it one day'
    '73 RN27 Hilux - Restomod in progress
    '80 MX32 Cressida - Next in the project queue
    '91 SV25 Camry All-Trac - Winter DD

Soo an 80's Toyota van's manual bell housing will mate a 3s to a w5x tranny?
    What about oil pan clearance with the xmember?
    My Blog CarJunkies

Quote Originally Posted by celica-fiend View Post
    Tommy's a little incorrect when it comes to trans setups.. W5x yes, but you dont need to worry about the S bellhousing from overseas..

Toaster van 'y' series bellhousings and 3vz/5vz bellhousings will bolt onto a 3s, you just have to move (cut n weld) one bolt tab on the housing.

Brett
    Yeah, I forgot about the Y... speaking of, if anyone spots one of those van in a junkyard, I might have a use for the crankshaft

I didn't know about the VZ... if that is indeed true, it will only allow to use the R tranny which will need major massaging of the trans-tunnel and a different mount/yoke to get in the car... but It'll be able to hold a lot more power (stock 3S-GTE power will be fine on either tranny, but upwards of 300ft/lbs, you might wan't to move to the R).
    KE20 1974 - Destroked 7A, project "bigblock A meets peanut" Link to build thread (Sold)

Came with the entire car

Quote Originally Posted by celica-fiend View Post

Brett
    OldSkoolCustoms

Don't forget to upgrade the rearend.

I have a phone number for a guy in shawnigan parting a van, and no, it doesn't have a 7.5".
    BCWORKS

doesn't Matt Tregar run a stock 86 rear end for his sr86?

my theory in that department will be fix it when you break it!

Warren i might need that, (celicafiend) might have what i seek however

So what needs to be done to correct the oil return issue when the engine is stood up?
    OldSkoolCustoms

Yeah you will neat to upgrade the rear suspension for it to not just get its panties in a bunch when you run anything but 13s.
    BCWORKS

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolcool View Post
    So what needs to be done to correct the oil return issue when the engine is stood up?
    You need to drill and tap a oil return port in the back side of the head, exhaust side and run a line down to the oil pan... I saw a build thread with a lt of details about it not long ago, I'll go search for it

*edit*

got it

take from http://www.1stgencelica.com/forum/vi...php?f=4&t=6089 but you need to be registered to view post

Oh and you also forgot that you will need to modify the intake manifold to face forward instead of backward

And the 6.7" diff will get shredded to pieces behind a stock one... or you'll need to run 145/60r13back tires and have less contact patch than a mountain bike in order to keep it there
    Last edited by tommy; 01-01-2012 at 02:52 PM.

So I guess I should have taken the bellhousing from the le van I scrapped last year. Oops

coldstar064@gmail.com
    250-818-6183
    ^yes it's what you thought it was^

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    You need to drill and tap a oil return port in the back side of the head, exhaust side and run a line down to the oil pan... I saw a build thread with a lt of details about it not long ago, I'll go search for it

*edit*

got it

take from http://www.1stgencelica.com/forum/vi...php?f=4&t=6089 but you need to be registered to view post

Oh and you also forgot that you will need to modify the intake manifold to face forward instead of backward

And the 6.7" diff will get shredded to pieces behind a stock one... or you'll need to run 145/60r13back tires and have less contact patch than a mountain bike in order to keep it there
    so i tried registering to this forum but i can't seem to figure out how, and I'm interested in doing this swap for my car too. Anyone have and ideas? Really would like to get ahold of the Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    You need to drill and tap a oil return port in the back side of the head, exhaust side and run a line down to the oil pan... I saw a build thread with a lt of details about it not long ago, I'll go search for it...
    Thanks for the pics! Saved for future reference...
    I hate Corollas but I don't think I can do better with anything else

this guy paid a shop to do it.

they kept the angle for drainage.

http://s19.photobucket.com/user/skep...?sort=3&page=1

the orange one is also on toymods i think.

different car on toymods
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...ght=3sgte+ra28

this is a swap I would have done instead of 7m had it presented itself.

Pete
    Last edited by 76RA24; 10-19-2014 at 09:25 PM.

4y bell housing bolts up I have a picture on my phone somewhere. one of 4 holes needs to be elongated but the dowels line up.

The question is what flywheel/ starter combo do you use?

someone loan me a 22re flywheel and I may have an answer!