Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Project: Bozo grease rocket ~ RA40 turbo celica

Project: Bozo grease rocket ~ RA40 turbo celica

Picked this thing up the other night and started tearing into it. It's been an absolute slut the last few years, being passed around continuously. I'm sure it'll be recognized by everyone on here.

I bought it as a non-runner in need of a lot of TLC. Wiring harness was an absolute rats nest (literally every wire having a break/quick twist/pound of loosely wrapped electrical tape over it), rust, old fluids, bald tires, etc. etc.

Started tearing into it as soon as we got it off the trailer.

Loaded up

Arrived...

First thing's first...

Phantom grill

Ratty CBY's, ratbeat 180 skirts, reps (sold)...

A couple bags of goodies...

What's that?

A nights supply of the ol bozo juice...

Starting the refresher tear down after building the upgraded cut-to-fit MSD wires...

I wish I would have taken a "before" shot of the wiring. It was an absolute nightmare. Either way, started tearing into building a new harness.

I guess you can see a small bit of the old "harness" off the hot side. Zip ties off the feed line were simply for test fitting during cutting. That turbo is getting blanket'd, manifold wrapped, and lines wrapped in reflective foil.

Before dipping any further into clean-up/removal on the harness, did a test fire and it came to life.

Picked up a simple fixed bucket to replace the driver's side Supra seat

And a Grant hub extension, and Grant -> Personal adapter to run a Tomei wheel I had kicking around. Also ordered an NRG quick release in anodized pink. Wheel will sit nice and close.

New shift boot + Kitty-chan x Aquafina drop & good luck beads

Team Limit. Act like you know. Also installed a set of Kenwood rear boxes. The logotype illuminates indigo and will silhouette the black Limit decal nicely at night.

Rajay external wastegate. Going to be re-plumb the dump tube from the recirculating system (into the downpipe) and instead run it out the hood like a sleezeball.

Stipped down the old grimey valve cover...

And hit it with a metallic purple/blue fade with chameleon sparkle top coat

White oil fill cap with black "TEQ" Toyota decal + GM coilpacks (building block off plates for the dist system this evening)

Ditched the aftermarket mirrors for a set of OEM Toyota fender mounts

Up to No Good~

Oil sandwich adapter plate w/ Autometer 100psi electric sender for in-cabin 2 5/8" Sport Comp electric oil pressure gauge, 3' SS line for Autometer Sport Comp mechanical oil pressure gauge mounted in the engine bay.

The usual business in the ol' bozo factory~

nice.

glad this car getting some love. valve cover should be crinkle red aswell.

2cents

pete

**** yeah, i want that year celica so badly

owned vehicles
    92 LN130 | 76 MX13 | 87 Civic | 87 AE86 | 93 VZN105 | 81 TE72W | 85 RA64 | 85 AE86 | 93 RN130

Boners.

Very nice, you have some awesome builds!

Glad thAt old girl is still around, it's got quite a bit of history behind it that's for sure!
    81,84,87, 88 toyota cressida, 84 bj60, 85 bj60, 86 hj60soa, 71 datsun 521 pickup

The fab work done for the intake mani and especially the turbo manifold is pretty good looking. Anybody know who gets to claim building those?
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Nice work! I can't wait to see how it all turns out.

I like that hood mount work light you have. For the last 15 years I've just used a ****ty trouble light. I think it's time for an upgrade. Where do you get something like that?
    Current:
    91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
    95 A32 Maxima SE
    Former:
    87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
    93 Taurus SHO ATX
    86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
    90 AE92 GTS
    82 KP61 SR5
    85 MX73
    87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
    85 AE86 GTS
    83 AL21

You WILL get pulled over for that plate bend. The cop will probably go to the full extent to rape you for everything else after that.

RETIRED

Super stoked on this build!! Could you guess how many horse powers it has now? ...giving me ideas for my MX32...

Forgot how cool this car looked, glad to see it back.
    My Blog CarJunkies

Quote Originally Posted by clay72 View Post
    The fab work done for the intake mani and especially the turbo manifold is pretty good looking. Anybody know who gets to claim building those?
    That car, and the manifold builds both look familiar. I think it may have been built at Racetech in calgary. they became the designers,builders of the SDS injection sytem. I suspect that was one of their test mules.
    does this look like it?
    http://www.sdsefi.com/features/feature12.html

has to be the same car, setup looks identical

so it makes 210hp.... i want to see tire smoke right MEOW
    My corolla is cooler then yours

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    You WILL get pulled over for that plate bend. The cop will probably go to the full extent to rape you for everything else after that.
    Meh, I rolled around like that for 6 or 7 months in my beater cressida. I only got pulled over for it once and just said "oh sorry officer, had it turned up like that for a photoshoot, totally forgot! i'll go fix that right now."

I'm liking whats going on with this

Quote Originally Posted by JOshua a View Post
    Very nice, you have some awesome builds!
    Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by clay72 View Post
    Yup, SDS built. This was Barry Wilks test mule and has some pretty cool engineering. I'm going to be rebuilding the current intake manifold in aluminum fairly soon, integrating internal velocity stacks and ditching the steel. Using the existing manifold as a jig. The exhaust manifold is beautifully done.

Quote Originally Posted by GTSSportCoupe View Post
    Nice work! I can't wait to see how it all turns out.

I like that hood mount work light you have. For the last 15 years I've just used a ****ty trouble light. I think it's time for an upgrade. Where do you get something like that?
    I picked it up at Can Tire on clearance last summer. They were discontinuing them. I have a couple of the shorter hand-held rechargeable LED trouble lights and they're awesome, too. I would at least step up to one of those. You won't go back, haha. I think you can get other hood-latched ones from Princess Auto as well. Just poke around. Shouldn't be more than $50.

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    I've rolled with retarded plate bends the last couple years and have at worst received a $115 ticket (once). That was after being pulled over for my big Pheonix's Power S80 pipe hanging off the ass of my SW20, haha.

My favorite kind of celica <3 this thing is nasty man! Excited too see more!! >.<
    And yeah, I had my plate bent up on my rolla too, had two cops follow me into a Safeway parking lot at 2am to question me about it haha, I just said my friends at school had to have done it and that I didn't notice it. No ticket for me!
    That was the only encounter in 5 months of driving so in I say rock it!