Thread: ECU code 2

ECU code 2

So I was racing last weekend and the car was running great right up until I was leaving the track after the cooldown lap of the final race. As I was rolling off the car just began losing power and wouldn't respond to throttle inputs. If I maintained throttle position it would roll along, but as soon a I tried to add more throttle it would slow down.

Once I was stopped I could start the car, but it would run for about 2 seconds and die. After about 10 minutes I was able to get the car to run and idle in the pits, but it was idling rough at times and would stumble when trying to apply throttle. I could hold the throttle wide open and it will only rev to 5,000 rpm and just sit there, popping and spitting.

So just now I tested it and the car is running very similar, stalled a few times and is stumbling when I try to rev. I cleaned out the dizzy to make sure that wasn't the issue and it's still running the same. Jumpered the check connectors which gave me a Code 2, from what I can tell looking at the online manual that's Open or Short Circuit in Vacuum Sensor Circuitry ... which I do not get since these cars are MAF, perhaps it's the wrong manual? I have no effing idea where my Haynes manual is as I've moved twice in the past year.

One fun thing to throw in the mix. Once I jumpered the check connector the car was running perfect. Idles and revs like there is no problem whatsoever. WTF is going on?
    Matt H.

Unless there's the possibility it's code 22 and it's a water temp sensor code. I have rigged up the connector for this since the wiring connector was missing when I bought the car. It would not start in cold weather and ran like ass before I rigged the wiring to connect to the sensor, but it always ran just fine after I connected it. It's possible this might just be a leftover code from a month ago before I fixed it, but why would I start getting a CEL now when the car was crapping out?
    Matt H.

Well, this might be the quickest solve ever. Went back out to check the timing and it was right at 10 deg. Pulled the jumper and the car runs and revs fine now. Maybe I didn't wait long enough for the brake clean to absorb all the moisture in the dizzy. Hopefully she's all good now.

Thanks DK!
    Matt H.

That's why they pay us the big bucks!
    "mmmango!"

Gotta love the phantom Corolla fix.

JDM ghosts at work. Thank God of Bomex
    Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    i like to go into lordco and just yell into the mufflers they have in stock until i find one that tickles my fancy
    Wisdom from NeptuneD on choosing mufflers for exhaust note

But I spoke too soon. Car started doing the same thing again when I went out to race today. I've replaced the cap and rotor, cleaned the dizzy, replaced the fuel filter (lots of rust coming out of the old one) and will probably replace the fuel pickup sock as well.

When I first start the car after sitting for a bit it picks up revs no problem. Then after running for about 20 seconds it begins to stumble and miss. It will idle mostly fine, with only a very occasional miss. It's seeming more like a fuel starvation issue now. When I bang on the tank with the car idling it stumbles and pops. Try to rev it up after it starts acting up and I'm getting backfires out the intake.

Ideas, thoughts? I really want to get her out there for tomorrow's race.
    Matt H.

have you tried to drive the car yet? .. i have the same problem with my car when i floor it .. it stumbles and pops at like 4-5k rpm and when i drive it i have to fether the throttle to get up to 50-60kms/hr?

ive asked some people and they've all mentioned to make sure the throttle position sensor is set properly.. iuno mebe you should check out ur tps?

hope it helps

Yeah, tried to go out for a practice session and it just sputtered and popped the whole way around the track before I pulled off. You know how the set the TPS off-hand?

I ordered a Walbro 255 and a new dizzy today. Figured if I'm going to drop the tank to change the pickup sock, then I'm going to upgrade the pump.
    Matt H.

Yours sounds like timing or ignition related
    Check your base timing

Quote Originally Posted by project-d View Post
    have you tried to drive the car yet? .. i have the same problem with my car when i floor it .. it stumbles and pops at like 4-5k rpm and when i drive it i have to fether the throttle to get up to 50-60kms/hr?

ive asked some people and they've all mentioned to make sure the throttle position sensor is set properly.. iuno mebe you should check out ur tps?

hope it helps
    Owned too many different modified toyotas to list LOL

Base timing is set at 10 degrees. It will rev like there is nothing wrong after starting it when it has been sitting for a bit, no hesitation, revs quickly to redline, but after about 30 seconds it will begin stumbling and popping again.
    Matt H.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromedragon View Post
    replaced the fuel filter (lots of rust coming out of the old one) and will probably replace the fuel pickup sock as well.

When I first start the car after sitting for a bit it picks up revs no problem. Then after running for about 20 seconds it begins to stumble and miss.
    sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Adequate gpm's at idle, inadequate under acceleration or higher rpms.

Check your fuel pressure under acceleration. This is difficult to do when driving, but you can check when stopped if you have a b&m fuel pressure gauge screwed on top of the filter.

The reason it may be fine when first started may be due to a pump sock clogging with debris...

You may need to replace your tank, or at least wash out all the rust flakes
    - Brian

That's the plan. Walbro and install kit are on their way. Going to drop the tank and clean it out in a couple days and get the new pump installed. I always figured this was the case, but just didn't have time to get the tank out from under there. First kid is weeks, if not days away.
    Matt H.