Thread: Setting side bearing preload for FWD tranny

Setting side bearing preload for FWD tranny

In the process of getting the 6spd swapped in, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this and can advice on how to set/measure side bearing preload on the diff for a C56/C52 tranny. Lots of info online for setting preloads on a rear diff for the AE86 using shims, not so for the FWD corollas.

Thanks in advance!

Its not really ever measured. There just needs to be some preload. FWD diffs don't have crowngears but instead just a helical gear because they run directly off the countershaft. this makes it so getting pthe preload perfect is not needed.

Or you could have said "sorry, my kidnap victims keep kicking my elbow, it made me drop my crack pipe and swerve"

-bangnscrape

Thanks for the input Sunray, it does make sense that the preload for a rear diff application is more crucial..

Mating the C56 bell to the C60 and checked up with Toyota and there are so many sizes of shims to choose from. No indications if they cross over or otherwise. Well I guess then its time to put it together and try to get some semblance of preload like the manual states if there isn't a real need to get it spot on.

Ask on TN, there's a few guys who did this to their AE92s... there's a sticky somewhere, or a link at least (I did it a while ago).

Follow my Supra Antics on Facebook ---> HERE!

Thanks Ren, that sticky was for a C160 out of the BT, but it was definitely a good one, helpful in sorting out the driver-side mount modification and all. On a side note, did Minesh have a 6spd attached to his ST?