Thread: How a rack spacer works...

How a rack spacer works...

Hey,

So I searched the tech reference section and nothing in there on how a rack spacer works so here is a nifty drawing I made in MS Paint to illustrate it...

The Red shows the teeth on the rack that aren't being used normally, then when the spacer is installed, they are being used.
    The Yellow show where the rack spacer goes.
    The Blue is the plastic (usually) washer that limits the rack travel normally if not a steering stop elsewhere.

An alignment will be required after the installation of any sort of rack spacer as you do effectively lengthen the rack and thus need the tie rods to be adjusted shorter to compensate.

Any comments, corrections, questions... go!

Cheers
    Bryan
    Bryan
    DK Moderator

good post.

I'd like to add that you should be certain that the extensions are properly secured. Thorough cleaning, degreasing and red loctite is recommended.

From the factory there are stake washers that are smashed in place to prevent the steering rack ends from unscrewing. Rack spacers prevent the use of these stake washers.

Also, a shorter 5mm rack spacer can be installed on most racks without issues. Only some racks can use the bigger spacer.

Remember that if you do this mod, make SURE that it can't unscrew. Otherwise you will crash. haha.
    - Brian

As Brian stated, the Yellow spacer, can be a washer that's OD fits inside the ID of the rack tube and spaces the inner tie rod out. Basically this gives you more travel by not allowing the inner tie rod to thread in as far as it normally would, <- The main idea behind any rack spacer.
    Bryan
    DK Moderator

The same can be achieved by shortening your rack housing.

RETIRED

Or by being Awsome!

I love a well built rack...

Mine are actually tack welded in place to ensure they don't back off. Don't forget to recenter your rack afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastaracer View Post
    ....Don't forget to recenter your rack afterwards.
    Key! And often overlooked!

Great post old rollas,it been a while huh.This should be in the tech reference.

What I was thinkin'...
    Bryan
    DK Moderator