Thread: BC Vehicle Inspection Reports + AirCare

BC Vehicle Inspection Reports + AirCare

So, BC chums, I've been giving some consideration to moving to the lower mainland, and really, I'd like to take the Supra with me. However, this always presents an interesting conundrum re: vehicle inspections from out of province.

Now, obvious things like glass and lights and safety equipment and instrumentation and steering et. al. are...well, obvious. But my experience in the past with these things has always been that any excuse to fail a car is a good excuse. My Supra's in pretty decent nick, but some things are still of concern.

As far as exhaust is concerned, my understanding is that lacking a catalytic converter is what you might call a "very bad thing." Presently, my system DOES have the factory cat installed, but there's a leak somewhere I've been trying to track down. If I were to fix that leak and leave the stock exhaust on, I imagine I wouldn't have a problem. If I were to replace the exhaust, does anyone know if a high-flow cat would be enough to get me by? This is concerning both for the inspection and AirCare, obviously.

Furthermore, how sticky are they for things like engine leaks? My experience in Alberta has always been that if anything, anywhere, is apparently leaking (even things like a little bit of diff seal seepage), you're pretty much done for. I've got a...thing, somewhere, near the front timing cover that's got a bit of leakage going on, and I think my diff axle seals are a little bit out of sorts. I have gaskets to do a lot of these things already, but some of them are a particular pain in the ass. Is this an "engine brite it and hope nobody notices" sort of thing, or am I going to end up re-sealing my entire goddamned motor just to get this thing to pass?

Incidentally, if anybody knows a place to get this sort of thing done where the proprietors AREN'T going to try to stick me with a hugely ridiculously enormous repair bill to get it to "pass," this knowledge would be greatly appreciated. I do generally take care of my things, and am not tremendously fond of getting screwed.

tl;dr: Tell me everything you know about registering a non-BC vehicle in BC

PS: Brett and Chris, I am quite interested in your input.
    Last edited by azrael; 06-01-2012 at 07:55 PM.
    1990 Supra Turbo

to move the car here it will need to pass a out of province basically inspecting that everything works as its supposed to...not excessively rusty, lights, brakes, tires,oil leaks, exhaust,ect. as for aircare.. just run it through with stock exhaust and build another set up with whatever you please. I do not run a cat in my car. there are even loopholes in the aircare system.
    im probably missing some stuff, but someone will fill in.

2jzge 5spd Mx83 Cressida

You won't need Air Care until next year (as long as this was not an ex-BC car, I assume it isn't). Just buy one year of insurance and pay in full. Just make sure it passes the VI.
    Last edited by Mr.Tru3no; 06-01-2012 at 11:42 PM.

It's always nice to read a well written post! Kudos!

Aircare for light vehicles is being turfed. Hooray!

Out of province inspecs are very inconsistent. Some (few) technicians apply some common sense to their inspections and some as I found out recently will try and fail based on things like a very small tear in a seat. We just put solidstate's car in yesterday and some things reasonable came up. The service advisor acted a little weird though. He wanted to fail it based in things that he didn't understand about this 41 year old vehicle. Thank god the advisor's word meant nothing.

One of my favorite trouble spots is sweating struts. I will not call a sweating strut. To mean it needs to have drips. Some guys call them anyway. Simple things like brake clean right before the inspection can mitigate crap like that.

I like to make sure it stops, steers, and idles. Due to having worked previously in a truck shop, I have avoided the icbc course like the plague so I can't really help you with an inspection but maybe chat with Brian. He's a good tech and honest.

Or you could have said "sorry, my kidnap victims keep kicking my elbow, it made me drop my crack pipe and swerve"

-bangnscrape

our shop doesn't do OOPs. however, if it passes basic safety stuff, you should be good to go. Talk to Narfy about which shop he might suggest for an OOP.

As for aircare, I LOVE what they've done to remove smoking vehicles from the road. All those old stinky oil-burning caravans are gone. There are simple things that can be done to pass a good vehicle thru aircare if there's a failure.

As with any other tech, I'd like to see mandatory vehicle safety inspections to fix cars with missing brake lights, obviously bald tires, etc, instead of emissions testing. But that's my personal opinion...
    - Brian

I love all the input here. There are definitely some things I know I need to do before I go (new tires, new windshield, fix the exhaust, etc.) but it's good to know that it seems a little less silly than the Alberta OOP.

Personally, I'm a fan of a mandatory minimum standard of mechanical wellness for a car to be registerable, because driving is serious business. What irks me is when well-kept cars get failed just because their old.

Keep it coming, if anyone else has more to add.
    1990 Supra Turbo