Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell me everything you know about the IS300/Altezza

Quote Originally Posted by 616racing View Post
    I was looking at IS300 a while back, I found LOTS of manual trannys in washington state for some reason, I'd say 50% of them were manual.
    Sadface.

When I was looking for mine, most of the manual models were beat to ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Slightly under powered in JDM form. Also the engine needs to be ratbagged to make power.
    Brian, what do you mean by ratbagged? Did you do anything special to your Beams to get it running the was it was?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why anyone would consider a beams motor for the chassis is beyond me. The obvious swap is probably the best swap; 2jz gte (no ****). The stock GE is pretty much useless as a street motor if you want anymore than 220ish hp.

Fun car to grip and drift all the same if thats your MO. Most basic needs would probably be suspension as it is a bit of a raft at 3300lbs:

coilovers
    Front upper camber arms
    Rear toe and traction
    swaybars

It would be interesting to compare the Altezza with the IS300. The 2JZ obviously makes more power and a lot more torque, but the 3SGE is mated to a 6 Speed tranny, which would enable you to utilize more of the power. Also I think the Altezza is better value, as (in my experience) JDM vehicles are in much nicer condition with lower mileage than domestically sold vehicles. 5 Speed IS300 in decent condition with 150k on it is what, like 10g or so? At current prices, a nice RS200 Altezza with sub 100k could be had for probably 7g.

Anyways, I plan on trying out an RS200 next year.

Definitely worth your while bringing one up from the states if you want an IS. The six speed on the RS200 does make it a bit more lively, if you shortened the ratio at the rear you might be able to get the pep up even more. Remember that it's shedding considerable weight without the 2j. And the Japanese have a lot of options for turbo beams setups. That said, out of the box the 2j is going to be a better all around car, and since you won't have to jam on it to get it to move, probably better fuel economy too.

I find the 6speed in the Altezza very short gearing. Just like S2gay

Who's actually driven an is300?

Because I've had one for a couple years and found the stock motor boring from day one. I changed the fin drive from 3.7 to 4.3 and I still find it weak. I can't even imagine a 4 banger in this thing.

Turbo is a must unless you want to do racecar build

Quote Originally Posted by Cal-Soy View Post
    Who's actually driven an is300?

Because I've had one for a couple years and found the stock motor boring from day one. I changed the fin drive from 3.7 to 4.3 and I still find it weak. I can't even imagine a 4 banger in this thing.

Turbo is a must unless you want to do racecar build
    ^^^^ Cal knows what's up. Word.
    JOVER
    F20C Powered 1985 AE86 Corolla GT-S Coupe | 4AGE 1986 AW11 MR2 Fully Loaded! Black on black on black

Hahaha right. You need more than 215 hp and 225 ft lbs of torque in a RWD car for the street.

Suuuuure you do.

If you could knew how to use even 90% of the car's potential on the street, I'd shake your hand

Migs
    Last edited by Migs; 10-21-2012 at 06:40 PM.

1986 GT-S Hatchback, 2002 IS300 5MT w/LSD, 1991 22RE 4x4 Pickup

I did mention that for street use it was fine.

my point was more to the lack of jam on the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Migs View Post
    Hahaha right. You need more than 215 hp and 225 ft lbs of torque in a RWD car for the street.

Sure you do.

Sooooooomeone needs an STi/mental penis enlargement

damnit! you replied before I could un-migs the post!!!! haha

Agreed about the track though. The bar has been raised so freaking high since these cars were introduced.

Just buy an E46 M3
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

I've read that the rs200 beams is Awsome on track, probably not as relaxed to drive daily as the 2j is300.
    I'd like to drive an rs200 as well, with short gears 4.30:1 and the six speed it would be crazy fun.

I think if you have a 6spd tranny, the 4.3 final drive is kind of useless. I actually spoke with an owner of an is300 racecar today and hes running a v160 with a 4.3 final; and he agrees.

the 3.9 does make highway driving easy breezy. Enough jam to pass but still great on gas.

I think if you have a 6spd tranny, the 4.3 final drive is kind of useless. I actually spoke with an owner of an is300 racecar today and hes running a v160 with a 4.3 final; and he agrees.

the 3.9 does make highway driving easy breezy. Enough jam to pass but still great on gas.
    For 6th gear, a V160 with 4.3 is a completely different story to a J160 with 4.3. Having a V160 with 4.3 is the same gearing as a J160 with 3.9.

Just saying, it makes a difference.

Jeff

2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

Wow, car-nerd talk has exceeded capacity in here. You guys must beat women off of you with baseball bats...or 2x4's with nails in them at least.

Anyways, buy an IS (manual), and love your life. Make sure you get one with an LSD, or swap an OEM torsen in if it doesn't have one.

Migs

No, buy the rs200, turbo the beams, weld the diff, get 4.7;1 gears, slam it, cut stuff out of it, drill holes in the inner panels, and slay dragons!
    thats what I would do, but im kinda unstable at times

IMO, the logical choice boils down to 2 things:

1) The purpose behind the powerplant
    (IS3 has higher hp potential, weights more, engine costs more)
    (IS2 has potential fuel savings, less weight, less power overall)

2) How you plan an using the car

IMO, if you can find an IS3 in manual, go for it....otherwise go for the IS2. IS2 will weight less and be better balanced, but the IS3 has more power potential at the end of the day. Both have their pros and cons, but you'll make the best choice once you know exactly how you be using the car.

If I was in your shoes, I'd grab the IS200 simply because I've already been in an IS3, and prefer having that balance out of the car. I'd definitely be on the track a lot more. More compact powerplants I prefer..... in THESE cars at least.

I think if you plan on building a dedicated track car then a turbo beams build would be really cool. However, if this is going to be a summer car/daily driver/occasional weekend warrior, I'd go 2j any day. Its not going to make you happy getting walked by civics and genesis'.

I think if you plan on building a dedicated track car then a turbo beams build would be really cool. However, if this is going to be a summer car/daily driver/occasional weekend warrior, I'd go 2j any day. Its not going to make you happy getting walked by civics and genesis'.
    Hahhaha, unless you fancy being "fancy"... just smoke 'em out with a 2J, as I would say. Let's kill this thread, prease?
    JOVER
    F20C Powered 1985 AE86 Corolla GT-S Coupe | 4AGE 1986 AW11 MR2 Fully Loaded! Black on black on black