Thread: The Funky Cold Corolla - My (Slow) Build Thread

The Funky Cold Corolla - My (Slow) Build Thread

Figured I should start one to document my "build" of sorts.

Some background: I am a 20 year-old student with limited mechanical experience other than oil changes, brake pad/rotor changes, basic maintenance type stuff. But I did take shop class once. When I got my Class 5 I had to choose between buying a motorcycle or an AE86 since I was tired of driving my auto Civic around all the time. But then I told my girlfriend about my dilemma... presto, motorcycle option was removed from my life. So the hunt for an AE86 began.

Searched for a good 3-4 months for a decent GTS, didn't know about DK back then so I wasted a LOT of time on Craigslist getting lied to. It was pretty discouraging and I almost got a motorcycle instead. But luckily for me and my relationship I found a great AE locally.

I am planning to "learn as I go" and gain some serious man points by learning how to, and working on my car myself - with the help of other DK'ers, obviously. I also am learning how to drive manual on this car. Expect slow progress on this build... I am a working student and money (as well as time) is tight. That being said, my vision for the car is to get little issues fixed up, clean her up, slap an LSD and new tires on it, maybe a coilover conversion and also full rust restoration/paint in the future but right now I just want to enjoy the car as much as I can.

February 2014. Got my 1986 Corolla GTS! Thanks to Mike (not sure what his name is on DK but I'm sure he's here). Pic of how she was the day I got it.

331xxx KM on the clock
    120xxx KM on the new 4AGE 16V Bluetop
    Minor rust

The badge of honor:

Last edited by FunkyColdMedina; 04-22-2014 at 05:17 PM.
    1986 Toyota Corolla GTS
    1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited

March 2014:

Still learning stick, lol. I DD a Civic and it's easy to un-learn a lot of stuff, especially with the Toysport light flywheel and the Illegal Garage clutch (pretty stiff). Still, it's fun when I get it right. Been going to a few meets, meeting cool guys like Duy, Les, Justin, Anton, Patrick, Stefen. Learning a lot!

Installed a NRG short hub + quick release, as well as an 350mm Ebay wheel and TRD horn button. Less so for aesthetic reasons and more so because the stock wheel doesn't clear my legs (6'2 and 220lbs is not the best fit for one of these cars). Quick release is my best attempt at anti-theft.

1986 Toyota Corolla GTS

Welcome aboard! There are LOTS of knowledgeable guys on the forum.
    OldSkoolCustoms

More old toyotas then common sense

April 2014:

Finally, something major: TRD 2-Way LSD. Got it from SlipnSlide on here, locks great but isn't annoyingly loud or aggressive for DD use. Feels good to do little slides when nobody's watching, plus my rain traction is much better. That said, next is a new set of tires, worn out Federal 595's just aren't cutting it for uphill starts in the rain. Maybe Toyo T1R? On sale for $228 at Tire Rack.com, why not!

Obligatory abstract shot:

Open diff beside TRD LSD w r&p:

Everything is easier when you have a lift: (courtesy once again of Mike. Great, great guy.)

While the car was up on the hoist we did some minor rust repair and refreshing of the undercoat. And fixed my front passenger brake line which was leaking. Borrowed a Goodridge for the time being, off to Greenline Hose this week for another stainless steel braided replacement.
    1986 Toyota Corolla GTS

Late update:

Got rid of my USDM bumpers. Got a CBY (or a very decent replica) FRP rear bumper and FRP side skirts installed. I am inclined to believe they are authentic as the fitment is spot on... here is the car as she sits now.

I also got a butchered JDM Kouki front... I have no idea why the previous previous owner cut a big farking hole in the center, maybe to improve airflow? But I will be using fiberglass to cover the hole and then Bondo to blend it in with the body lines. Followed by a primer and repaint. Next week I will also complete a HID projector retrofit as well as bolt up my Kouki lip (if it arrives on time, that is)!

1986 Toyota Corolla GTS

Why not go for the cby front Too? It's going to look off balance with that front end

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

CBY has been discontinued I believe. I don't see many of them around

I gotta say love the duck mascot on the dash tho

good work with the build so far its coming along very nicely

tommy is offline Redneck engineer/machinist
    Nice find buddy! Any history on the car? I'm asking cause the model code says it's a USA delivered car and should have a stock 2 pinion LSD... which obvioulsy wasn't there
    TE31 1977 - 2T-B (traded)
    KE20 1974 - Destroked 7A, project "bigblock A meets peanut" Link to build thread (Sold)
    AE95 1990 - 4A-GZE daily driven wagon...

My TRD 2 way LSD was so incredibly loud I hated it! Maybe they get quieter over time or something? Mine was brand new and it made a horrendous racket in parking lots.

Car looks good! Just needs wheels. And this bumper:

Once you have the bumper then you got to get the flares! White paint then 15x9 -26 wheels
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_mszz93h82l1r0mdvuo1_1280.jpg 
Views:	486 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	13269  

Quote Originally Posted by do-boy View Post
    Why not go for the cby front Too? It's going to look off balance with that front end
    Hard to find, IMO. I ordered one of the Malaysian FRP lips for the Kouki front, I'll see how it blend with the rest of the body first before I make a proper decision. I'm tempted to get JDM rear bumper but they are hard to find as well. Hopefully it doesn't look as "off balance" as you say though... that being said the bumper is on loan to me from Herro. So I'll likely have a new one in the next couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Nice find buddy! Any history on the car? I'm asking cause the model code says it's a USA delivered car and should have a stock 2 pinion LSD... which obvioulsy wasn't there
    Apparently the OEM LSD grenaded itself and was replaced with an OEM open diff. It is a US import, I believe.. purchased from Herro. He probably knows more about the history than I do. Lol I just wanted a GTS with minimal rust and tasteful mods :P

Quote Originally Posted by Dugwillis View Post
    My TRD 2 way LSD was so incredibly loud I hated it! Maybe they get quieter over time or something? Mine was brand new and it made a horrendous racket in parking lots.
    It's pretty noticeable at parking lot speeds, but if the radio is on its almost inaudible. Mine was used so has probably been broken in... locks real well though, obviously the intended purpose is racing but the car is a lot easier/better to control in the wet roads of Vancity haha. That bumper would be nice but is way too expensive... that being said I am obviously considering my options for now. Next up will be coilovers and new wheels w/ tires (Varrstoen V2, Work Equip replicas).

Thanks for all the comments, guys!
    1986 Toyota Corolla GTS

Haven't updated in a while. Not a lot has happened...

Put a Zenki front lip on the Kouki bumper, as well as used fiberglass/bondo to cover up the large hole. It isn't great, but will be good for now while I go find a CBY replica front. My car is on the left

Bought a truck, derped it. Didn't really account (no pun intended) for the fact that gas/insurance costs put a massive dent in my expenses. I was spending around $75 for a full tank that got me around 320km. I wanted something more practical than the GTS (read: not as low) with power steering, good radio, all that good stuff. But most importantly, cheap insurance and decent mileage. Pic of truck:

So I got rid of the truck and got this:

Ridiculously clean red SR5. Full black interior, all that good stuff. Used to belong to Duy, who got it from Redpearl. My new 'daily' and yes those are Keroppi neck rests

Don't have many plans for this one, just going to try to keep it as clean as can be, fix the exhaust leak and a sound system. The stock FM/AM deck only picks up the oldies/classical music station and I'm not cultured enough for that
    Last edited by FunkyColdMedina; 07-27-2014 at 12:13 AM.
    1986 Toyota Corolla GTS

---
    Last edited by FunkyColdMedina; 01-19-2015 at 02:07 AM.
    1986 Toyota Corolla GTS