Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 35678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: V8 powered MR2 build

I'm getting a few days this weekend to work on this thing. I like to try and keep organized when building cars, and I have a lot of lists, so here's one of them with a quick rundown of things to come (and some fancy art by the gf):

mind blowing build

7 hours in, woohoo!!! Just worked on inner quarters today, behind the air ducts.

Passenger side before:

Driver side mocked up in paper:

Driver side steel:

tommy is offline Redneck engineer/machinist
    Man that is turning awesome, can't wait to see the progress during the weekend.
    TE31 1977 - 2T-B (traded)
    KE20 1974 - Destroked 7A, project "bigblock A meets peanut" Link to build thread (Sold)
    AE95 1990 - 4A-GZE daily driven wagon...

I'm praying this thing gets a proper set of wheels.....gonna look amazing
    1979 Cressida JZX3 VVTi

2econd Heart Garage

Picking my rims up tonight, 3 piece Weds 17x9 +8 front, 17x10 +8 rear

Nothing new, just picked up my rims tonight. Test fit one and took pictures (Put a rear on the front, doh!) Also premiering photos of the front end! Lots more work to go there. But enjoy for now! I know, so many exclamation marks in this post!!!

Is the lower edge of the front bumper lower than the rockers like it looks? Is it going to restrict how low you can be?
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Yea it's lower than the rockers, it shouldnt affect my ability to go low, there is some work to be done to the rear of the fenders to get that line to continue past the wheel. That and I'm not a slammed fan; lots of potholes, speed bumps, and ****ty driveways here in ontario. This car is being built to be driven, it's not a show car so no need for useless undercarriage scrapings.

Every time I see this thread update, all I can think is...

"The most exciting time of the day is finally here!"

All I can say is keep up the good work dude
    I hate Corollas but I don't think I can do better with anything else

Quote Originally Posted by widebodystarlet View Post
    That and I'm not a slammed fan; lots of potholes, speed bumps, and ****ty driveways here in ontario. This car is being built to be driven, it's not a show car so no need for useless undercarriage scrapings.
    Yea, I agree. Everytime my bro tells me my car needs 'moar low'...I remind him of the ****ty roads here....I like low...but not so low it compromises driveability.

As good as the car is looking....it's crazy to think it will be nothing compared to how fun it's gonna be to drive!
    1979 Cressida JZX3 VVTi

2econd Heart Garage

Whose doing the geometry and suspension design?
    I am your 4ajesus

All the suspension is basically stock for now, save lowering springs. The rear sway bar is upgraded as well.

Those wheels look sick, really fill the wheel wells appropriately.

from the pic i think you will regret not sectioning that bumper best thing is get it on all 4 and get it to the ride height you want. from the pic it looks like you'll have to monster truck it just to have the front bumper an inch of the ground

I definitely won't be finalizing the bodywork on the front until I get the new wheels on and the car resting on 4 corners. It's tough to see how things will be as the bumper is just sitting on there at the front in the picture. To make the fenders/quarters fit I had to take about 2" out of the vertical height of the panels, this implies I probably have 2" too much at the front (and potentially the rear). I've seen a few easy ways to get my ground clearance back, there is a lot of extra material on the bottom edge of the front bumper. I should also note that the driver side below the indicator on my bumper is kinked a bit, so that part of the edge hangs lower. Time will tell

Yeah, modern cars have such tall noses for crash reg compliance relative to the MR2. Maybe you can just section the front arches and move the bumper up? Or baybe it would be best to use the MR2 nose.

I'm sure you've got a plan.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

What is this plan you speak of? lol. Normally what I do when facing a problem like this: Become extremely intoxicated, spend 15-20 minutes staring at the problem from 10 different angles each, make random folds in paper, tape it down to the car, more staring, make a new paper patch from the first paper patch, tape it down, take pictures of awesome looking paper patches, dream about driving the car, forget what I was doing, stare at the patch a little bit more, finally make it out of metal...

Ok, it does kinda sound like a plan, maybe not the best one but it's worked so far

Haven't been here in a while and catching up on your post I yelled "holy ****!" in my kitchen. Rad stuff as usual. Carry on.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I built some rocker panels yesterday. They came out quite good and are helping link the fenders and quarters together. The lower rear portions of the front fenders arent complete yet, so there is still a lack of flow from fender to rocker, but it is looking much better now.