Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: V8 powered MR2 build

Hmmmmmm....

Last edited by 4Aaron GE; 08-23-2012 at 11:07 PM.

tommy is offline Redneck engineer/machinist
    ^^^sexy as hell if you ask me!
    TE31 1977 - 2T-B (traded)
    KE20 1974 - Destroked 7A, project "bigblock A meets peanut" Link to build thread (Sold)
    AE95 1990 - 4A-GZE daily driven wagon...

Just going to have a short bumper. Did you photoshop that mr2?

Yeah. Just wanted to see how the proportions would work out. I honestly have no idea how you're going to shorten the bumper. In the 'shop I had to compress the part of the bumper where the horizontal surface started, which means you will probably run into problems with bodylines.

Bumpers are easy to work with

Good to know. We'll all be looking forward to seeing your progress.

Rear frame is ready to be attached to the car:

Happy strut towers:

More work has been done. I had a lot of time off last weekend for my brother's wedding, that kept me busy. But I've trimmed a lot of excess metal off the bottom of the audi frame and have permanently attached the rear underbody of the two frames. They were welded in various places inside, braced inside, then this 16G sheet was bent to fit the underside for a solid frame. I keep putting off attaching it to the car because I keep seeing reasons that it is easier to work on off of the car, but I've run out of excuses so tomorrow *should* be the day I attach the suspension mounts back to the firewall/frame. Also I'm looking for a new rear crossmember, trying to find a deal.

Start of the day messy and not very well connected:

The sheet I cut for the new frame:

End of the day; lots of bending, cutting, welding. Went through an entire spool of weld wire, but the rear frames are almost entirely connected. There are two "flaps" where the oem rear crossbrace is that still need to be bent quite a ways and reconnected to the transmission tunnel and crossbrace (if you can see what I'm talking about lol). Overall I'm happy with the way it turned out, the welds came out real nice and both sides have a very uniform look to them. It's also solid as hell.

You're just killin it, awesome progress so far

1991 Tercel 4A-GEsmallport RIP 09/02/2011 - - 1993 Supra.
    05 IS300 Daily

Ok so I got the suspension/rear frame permanently bolted to the car today. I cleaned up a few edges and welded a few seams but it is in it's final position. I should be able to weld it all up tomorrow hopefully, along with the bracing that is yet to be added to the firewall area. Things are moving smoothly, I found someone with a crossmember, so hopefully I can pick that up this weekend, in which case I'll be bolting in the motor sometime next week So tired, pictures:

Wow,,, RAD...

tommy is offline Redneck engineer/machinist
    That's going to be epic!

Kudos on the work so far
    TE31 1977 - 2T-B (traded)
    KE20 1974 - Destroked 7A, project "bigblock A meets peanut" Link to build thread (Sold)
    AE95 1990 - 4A-GZE daily driven wagon...

All rear end has been measured and fully welded up. One brace piece has been welded in on each side and the strut towers have been attached to the roof again. More welding to come (I've gone through three spools already). At this stage the back end sits in there under it's own weight and can take me climbing on it no problem, seems strong and will only get stronger. The back end is looking wide, and it still gets another two inches on each side to accommodate 10 inch wide rims on 295/50 tires. I'm totally exhausted today, had a few small pieces to cut off and weld together and I just couldn't work anymore. Time to relax and imagine what I should make the outside look like

Interesting side shot, where you can see how well the two frame rails line up:

Some details of the frame welding and lower bracing:

fatasss:

Damn son, that is a sick idea!

REALLY wanting that garage right about now...
    http://i.imgur.com/whGaEBG.jpg

Rotate when Irate

Thanks Spence, it's almost two years I've been using this garage now. Before that I did everything in a portable car shelter, even in the winter, so it's a nice change

Yesterday I reattached the rear panel and frame rails where the bumper bolts in, I also spent a great deal of time making two pieces of frame to attach the old frame to the new frame and make it look pretty. I anticipate that I need to make 2 more frame rail pieces per side and use one more 2x2 steel frame tube to get the rear section finalized. Then I will do the bracing on the inside of the cabin. Some aesthetic steel will be welded into the engine bay to give it a nice feel but I'm leaving non-structural pieces till the end. Still waiting to hear about the cross member, looking for a local one because shipping on these things is a royal pain. Ok so we all love pictures:

It's always amazing to see how ones ideas unfold, the longer wheel base I'd gunna look awesome

1991 Tercel 4A-GEsmallport RIP 09/02/2011 - - 1993 Supra.
    05 IS300 Daily

That is looking great, it was hard to see the final vision in the first shots but you've done a great job putting the 2 halves together. How are you gonna do the rear fenders, custom widebody?

And man among men. This thing is insane. I never subscribe but I need to stay on top of this one

It's been a few days since I've touched the mr2 so I gave it a few hours of my life today. I managed to almost completely weld in two more frame pieces, it's looking pretty sweet. I'm picking up a crossmember tomorrow and spacer for the engine/transmission as well. Just need a clutch/flywheel, axles and hubs

(PS - that's not how I actually talk )

And the finished product:

Nice progress. This is gonna be one sexy beast. How long until we see a couple turbo's on that V8?