Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: V8 powered MR2 build

Photoshop concept, needs a spoiler:

So it's going to be FRS everything except the rear quarter glass?
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

No, just taillights, front bumper and body shape around the wheels. It's hard to picture it or photoshop it because so many little things here and there will be different. I might change the concept a little more tonight to try and get it how I want. I really want it to look like a new car, with Toyota styling, similar to the fr-s, but different enough to be a different car. The fr-s has a long front nose and short rear, whereas the mr2 has a long rear and short front nose. It's a complex process and I'm sure I'm about to get a butt load of band-wagon haters, but I've never done this sort of "conversion" before completely altering the styling of a vehicle.

mr2 tail lights were looking amazing though...frs taillights kinda suck
    1979 Cressida JZX3 VVTi

2econd Heart Garage

I agree, mr2 kouki tails are rad.
    If there's one thing I've learned from the first two thirds of the MC Hammer Biography, it's that money never runs out.

Yea the mr2 taillights did look nice, I'm just having difficult seeing how I can create the arch shape I want and still incorporate the oem taillights, they have very soft lines for straying so far from the mr2 body shape.

I'll also have to agree that my personal preference is for the SW20 tails, but this is your project so do what makes YOU happy.

However all I can picture when you're done is something that sounds and looks a little like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUPCwolLrsY

and it is ****ing radical
    I hate Corollas but I don't think I can do better with anything else

Now I'm glad I posted up the concept. I really like the feedback I'm getting on this so far. It would be nice to keep the sw20 tails as a hint to the beast underneath, I've been wrestling this idea back and forth and I guess I'm still a little undecided. more photoshop time...

One from the front end. Giving a lot away here but this is really what I want it to look like (plus a drop vent in the hood for the rad but I got lazy with mouse clicking). It makes such a huge difference when I'm photoshopping and I move the front wheels back and the back wheels back, suddenly the proportions scream mid rear and it looks like Toyota designed a new mr2 to go with their fr-s. Or maybe I'm just being a little arrogant with my photoshopping to think it rivals a factory toyota design

Quote Originally Posted by 76RA24 View Post
    wow, that looks amazing! SARD MR2 FTW
    1979 Cressida JZX3 VVTi

2econd Heart Garage

The SARD mr2 is much longer than mine. It looks nice for a LeMans car, I was going to originally turn my mr2 into the SARD street version of the MC8R, but I don't have an english wheel, and I don't want a fibreglass car. There is a v8 mr2 being built in the UK by a very talented fabricator that is aiming to be a SARD mc8r replica.

Toyota is coming out with two new RWD sports cars, so an MR2 to go with the FRS is a good guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugwillis View Post
    Toyota is coming out with two new RWD sports cars, so an MR2 to go with the FRS is a good guess.
    Haha yes I saw this a few days back. I believe the statement was they were in development above and below the FRS price/power point, but no talks of production yet. I'm excited to see the new concepts in the next few years as I'm sure we will see a production model (supra for sure, 99.5%) eventually. For now, my interpretation of the new mr2 will have to satiate my hunger for an affordable mid-rear coupe

Did a quick design of the rear end:

You obviously have a vision to what this car will look like.
    I personally would sway a little further from the frs design. Not because it doesn't look good, but because some people who haven't followed your thread may write off all your hard work, as just another kit car. This is obviously not the case, but "the internet" may think you have may a incorrect copy of a frs, instead of seeing that you have in fact designed your own car and incorporated oem style

Quote Originally Posted by 3184life View Post
    You obviously have a vision to what this car will look like.
    I personally would sway a little further from the frs design. Not because it doesn't look good, but because some people who haven't followed your thread may write off all your hard work, as just another kit car. This is obviously not the case, but "the internet" may think you have may a incorrect copy of a frs, instead of seeing that you have in fact designed your own car and incorporated oem style
    ^^^this
    if you do the frs thing, it may just look like a bad frs copy...instead of an amazing mr2 modification

you know when people change civics into bmw m3 with bodywork and it just looks cheesy/bad
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jpeg1.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	11822Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jpeg2.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	166.5 KB 
ID:	11823
    1979 Cressida JZX3 VVTi

2econd Heart Garage

I think the hardest part is finding a complete straight FRS parts car and being able to afford it.

And I am against it for selfish reasons because I am convinced it would take at least a year, probably more to completely rebody the MR2 that way and get all the gaps and fitment right, and I want to see this car get done. But as has been said, it's your car, time, and money.

I run out of patience just thinking about reskinning the doors like you'll have to. And having to create new mounting structures to mount all the pannels. You'll really need a whole undamaged FRS. Or 2, each with one end smacked up.
    Last edited by clay72; 08-24-2013 at 04:35 PM.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Along with the rest, I think that retaining the sw20 tails would be ideal... Keep them high and as far apart as possible, the wide stance will be emphasized by the wide set of the smaller lights, lending itself to a very modified mr2 look. From an artistic standpoint, it will look more natural (but by all means, do what you feel is best, since, so far your choices have not let you [or us] down).
    If there's one thing I've learned from the first two thirds of the MC Hammer Biography, it's that money never runs out.

I agree with keeping Sw20 tails.

Quote Originally Posted by pitobread View Post
    I saw this guy eat a whole bag of Jalape?o cheezits in one sitting. After that moment I would trust him with my life.
    1982 Toyota Hilux Pickup- Daily
    1982 Toyota Corolla Wagon- Track car