Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171820 ... LastLast

Thread: "Project Turquoise" aka Tommy's little peanut...

tommy is offline Redneck engineer/machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    When I went to accomplish a similar feat with my 1uz piston+rod assemblies I found that the factory toyota parts were all ?1 gram. In fact, 6 assemblies were the same mass, and one assembly was a gram heavier, one assembly was a gram lighter. I was very proud to be a toyota owner that day.
    Same here compared to the other nissan junk :P

Now I think it's time I mentioned something: I think about this build at least once every three days, and I've told my coworkers and even my wife about it... WHY DOESNT IT RUN YET!!!??? I have a compulsion to hear this thing run and therapy is just going to be too expensive - so make it happen!
    Hahahaha I have no excuses... sorry

The amount of custom work on that engine + the fact that I'm the world's worst...

Quote Originally Posted by Dugwillis View Post
    Perfectionist
    Lead to everything being painfully slow.

Hopefully the longblock should be assembled by the end of the weekend but I still need to do all the custom oil crap and work on some more custom water routing stuff before I can begin to say that it's done.

Don't worry, I spend most of my spare time on it... unfortunately I don't have a bucket load of spare time
    TE31 1977 - 2T-B (traded)
    KE20 1974 - Destroked 7A, project "bigblock A meets peanut" Link to build thread (Sold)
    AE95 1990 - 4A-GZE daily driven wagon...

Well somedays go better than others

Assembly's total weight is 950.8g...

And this is my super uber custom patented ring compressor

...yep, it's just an old peanut butter jar...lol

Why?

Because Peanut :P

Last edited by tommy; 08-03-2013 at 04:17 PM.
    KE20 1974 - Destroked 7A, project "bigblock A meets peanut" Link to build thread (Sold)

Penut butter jar! wicked awesome! I use steel packing band stolen from the home depot dumpster - custom ring compressor every time.

And excellent progress on the motor. this is going to be sweet! do you expect any fitment issues due to the taller block?

Penut butter jar! wicked awesome! I use steel packing band stolen from the home depot dumpster - custom ring compressor every time.

And excellent progress on the motor. this is going to be sweet! do you expect any fitment issues due to the taller block?
    Thanks!

For fitment I don't think the 15mm taller block will be an issue. After all that just a little over half an inch and by looking at some pictures of 4AG swapped 2nd gen, their seems to be lots of room between the engine and hood.

Well, starting to look like a proper engine again...

gze intake with a carb on it, never thought of doing that

1991 Tercel 4A-GEsmallport RIP 09/02/2011 - - 1993 Supra.
    05 IS300 Daily

pretty stoked to see this run
    If there's one thing I've learned from the first two thirds of the MC Hammer Biography, it's that money never runs out.

cams?

Quote Originally Posted by 4doors View Post
    cams?
    Well, I just heard a rumor that the stock cam will not live long enough under the cam covers to see the startup... @ answ3r...

Anyway, took a step back to take two forward...

I removed all my setup to relocate the mechanical oil pressure gauge fitting and drilled and taped the sandwich plate for it. The stock 1/8BSPT hole will receive the 3K pressure switch so I'll be able to tap into the wire under the dash to feed it to a naturally closed relay to power the electric fuel pump... if oil pressure is loss, the light in the dash turns on and the relay will open cutting power to the fuel pump... nice thing to prevent fuel from spilling in your face when you crash.

Uh, won't that stop your fuel pump from working when you are attempting to start it? I suppose there are workarounds...

1970 KE17 Project
    1969 KE10 Slider

Quote Originally Posted by Cbergerud View Post
    Uh, won't that stop your fuel pump from working when you are attempting to start it? I suppose there are workarounds...
    I'd always though of situation like this as a feature - the engine wont start until it makes some oil pressure on the starter, better for engine wear I'd imagine (baseless speculation alert!).

however adding a feed from the start circuit to the relay would work around that problem nicely as well, or an override button...

I'd always though of situation like this as a feature - the engine wont start until it makes some oil pressure on the starter, better for engine wear I'd imagine (baseless speculation alert!).
    Yeah but the starter might not like that...

however adding a feed from the start circuit to the relay would work around that problem nicely as well, or an override button...
    Yeah, that's the plan either find an elaborate relay like the circuit open relay in the AE86 but that works opposite (AE86 powers the fuel pump when it receives a signal not the opposite) or just wire a second naturally open relay that bypass the first one and take it signal from the start circuit.

Although since the carbs have a small reserve in the bowl, I might just wire a hard switch and use it to prime the fuel system before starting, that would be even simpler

I bet it would start on what is in the float bowl.
    my fuel pump died on the mango once, on the way to the track! but I had a gas can and a water bottle.
    I just poured gas into the floats, and drove, It would go for quite a while at low rpm with just the float bowls.
    The only time it would be an issue would be after a long time sitting, and the bowls evaporate

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Although since the carbs have a small reserve in the bowl
    *self facepalm* i forgot about the carbs. I was thinking fuel injection. it'll be fine except on hot days where its parked for a week.

Well well, here's what I did tonight :

Welded a baffle in the center of the lower pan. I also stole Paul's idea and put a hinge to stop oil from moving too fast in the front section during hard braking but to allow it to return faster to the rear part when getting back on the throttle. On the right side is a modified 1$ fitting from the plumbing store that is 3/8 NPT inside, it will serve to bolt my oil temperature gauge. On the other side is the same 3/8 NPT plumbing fitting that I modified to bolt on a modified oil strainer that will live in the rear section

And here is the modified strainer that bolts to the modified plumbing fitting which has a flared fitting bolted to it

But the best part is this, a real windage tray

Alright, I know it's pretty ugly inside there, but who cares when it'll look like that soon... yep, that's just a leak test with some crappy oil I had in the shed.

And here's the test fit :

It's a little cleaner outside, here is the fitting for the temperature gauge on the intake side

And here on the exhaust side, you can see the fitting out of the strainer just above the pan drain plug and on top. A little farther back is the banjo bolt for the cooler return line, shouldn't be too clogged up.

Last edited by tommy; 08-12-2013 at 11:59 AM.

Oh well, some extra work, I had just finished adjusting my valve lash...

Is that windage tray going to allow oil to flow down fast enough?
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Quote Originally Posted by clay72 View Post
    Is that windage tray going to allow oil to flow down fast enough?
    Very good question indeed... it's only blocking the area straight under the #1 cyl and it's not sealed on the side so the amount of oil that drops on it compared to the amount of oil that slush under it a couple order of magnitude... In the middle I made that little 3/8" hole and hammered 2 channels to force oil to go through there. The area around the hole is also hammered so no oil that drops on the tray should stagnate there for long. In all honesty, I may drill half a dozen 1/4 hole around the one that is there just to be safe, but with the 1.6L crank in the 1.8L block, the crank's counter weight are still very far from it. Speaking of that, I'll check first but I may be able to overfill the sump with an other L of oil and still be way cleared of the crank... yeah!

Lift? I dunno about 10k on those.

RETIRED

8.25mm... drops right on the stock valvetrain.

10k rpm? Nope, not even close

I got a great deal on them I'll just drop them in and rev the crap of that engine, using the floating valves as my rev limiter and if the block prove to take it like a champ then I'll drop some "real manly cams" in later down the line.