Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121315 ... LastLast

Thread: "Project Turquoise" aka Tommy's little peanut...

You're crazy.
    BCWORKS

tommy is offline Redneck engineer/machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    You're crazy.
    Yeah, I hear a lot of that on a daily basis

Anyway, decided I needed a workout so I got an old broken glass on my pool table and brought out the lapping compound

The block was dead straight so it came out pretty well in no time. The head however hasn't been milled and was a little more warped than I expected.

Look between #2 and #3 and between #3 and #4

So this is what I was left with after washing the lapping compound... but my back had had it's share of workout so I called it a night. I'll probably finish it today or tomorrow if I'm not too sore.
    Last edited by tommy; 07-02-2013 at 07:19 PM.
    TE31 1977 - 2T-B (traded)
    KE20 1974 - Destroked 7A, project "bigblock A meets peanut" Link to build thread (Sold)
    AE95 1990 - 4A-GZE daily driven wagon...

Awesome, I'm a big fan of the home machine shop. I use flat glass for motorcycle heads all the time!
    "mmmango!"

So rad!!
    Can't wait for the results of this build!!

Yessssss!!!!!!
    We do this to valve bodies all the time.
    Such a great way to take out surface imperfections!

Finished... but damn ! Valve body and single cylinders are fine, but a freakin' 70lbs engine block is not an easy task... combined with the fact that I weight 117lbs, it took a couple of beers to keep my body temperature in check and I sweated almost all of it back.

But yeah it was worth it. The surface is pretty awesome, ready for a TRD 0.8mm MLS head gasket

Next step is lapping the valve on the seats in order to get it ready for a hot bath to wash all the shaving and lapping compound from there... and god knows how much of those are stuck everywhere. Then it's paint time and I'll be ready to reassemble everything and get ready to finish up the bottom.
    KE20 1974 - Destroked 7A, project "bigblock A meets peanut" Link to build thread (Sold)

The oil pump story...

I ordered all the missing part for the rebuild on monday, some non-critical stuff from rockauto and the more critical stuff from lithia toyota since it's cheaper to buy there and pay for shipping than to cross the street an buy stuff at the local stealership. Anyway turns out I ordered my oil pump on rockauto since they stocked original Aisin pump that are the real toyota pumps with "toyota" buffed out with a grinder... at half the price. So yesterday a lady calls from rockauto saying that the pump is no longer available, they called every warehouse and none are left. They offered to sell me a DNJ (rockauto home brand) but could even tell me the country of origin... chinese oil pump...? No thanks !

But my Toyota order already shipped so I'd have to pay double plus pay for shipping twice... so I ran downstairs and brought out a couple old oil pump I had to check what I had and in what condition they were in. I had a couple 4AGE oil pump but coming from bluetop engine, the pumps with the square tooth gears that are prone to shatter at high RPM... and the oil pump from the 7A. Opened that one and here is what it looks like

7A-FE on the left, bigport 4A-GE on the right

The bigport with square t

The gears are known to disintegrate in pieces when subjected to high rpm... so toyota changed the design to a "wave" type gears starting with the smallport engine and used that design until the end of the blacktops. Here is my 7A pump

I pulled the gears to compare them

And compared the measurements with those

http://www.hachiroku.net/forums/show...t=15957&page=3

The only difference between the smallport/20v pump and the 7A is the thickness of the gear which make the smallport pump push higher volume. The design is exactly the same, wave count is 10/11 on both so both should be able to handle the same rpm level. Since I don't have any oil skirter to feed, the fact that my pump pushes less oil than a smallport pump shouldn't matter, even more, it will have less parasitic drag at high RPM and less oil dump through the bypass port to be mixed with air while returning to the pan. And I'm not running crazy bearing oil clearance so I have no need for a high volume pump.

Also since the block was so clean coming from a granny's auto car, and upon closer inspection the pump looked very tight, I decided to blueprint it back to original condition and port a couple critical area while doing it... I'll save over 200$ at the same time... and I trust my "blueprinting" skill a lot better than I trust some chinese women's skills at making a pump out of cheap alloy

The rest is coming nicely together.
    Last edited by tommy; 07-02-2013 at 07:20 PM.

This is great. Keep it up.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Well, I blueprinted my pump and decided to bring out the dremel while I had it open.

I cleaned up the casting and removed the edge near the ports.

I also smoothed the angle near the outlet where it normally turns sharply to enter the engine bloc

Now

Stock (on the bluetop pump)

So that's about it, my main and rod bearing showed up as well as my small port piston rings. I'm still waiting for my Toyota order : head and flywheel bolts, tranny seal and TRD HG (shipped from oregon couple of days ago). Oh and my ARP rod bolts are also in transit...

Apart from that, I experimented a little with electroplating. I wasn't able to copper plate steel very well (I wanted to brass plate my bolt by plating them with copper followed by zinc) but I'll just zinc plate them... but while experimenting I successfully copper plated aluminum and mean it is perfect. So I might end up with a "copper top" engine in the end.

That's about it, I'll make a couple runs of zinc plating on my bolts and brackets so I can begin reassembling the thing. I'll keep you guys updated.
    Last edited by tommy; 07-02-2013 at 07:21 PM.

So you are zinc plating stuff at your house?
    BCWORKS

Yep, but I've only been testing things out lately (small runs using small baths and small parts). I'm putting in a pull fan in my workshop today to vent the nasty hydrogen outside so I can begin mass plating. Oh and that will be usefull for cleaning parts with HCL inside. If everything works fine, I will probably plate a bunch of brackets and bigger things like disk and hubs. And the good part is that it cost me under 15$ to get all I needed to make a gallon of electrolyte... and plating copper on aluminum is even cheaper

Meanwhile in a clandestine lab hidden in a dark corner...

Last edited by tommy; 07-02-2013 at 07:22 PM.

Hahaha, highschool chem is cool again!
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Excellent
    "mmmango!"

Well, I played with amp and electrolyte and finally got things dialed in...

Rusty crap that was on the car - acid cleaned to get it to bare metal - plated

Don't talk about the thread, a little brass brushing and all of the dark stuff goes away like magic
    Last edited by tommy; 07-02-2013 at 07:23 PM.

I repeat. You're crazy.
    BCWORKS

I repeat. You're crazy.
    Haha, if you want to be crazy too, all you need is a battery charger (or any DC current under 12v), Hydrochloric acid, ammonia, a couple pack of Twin "fake sugar" and a bunch of old dead alkaline batteries... I should make a DIY when I'll have some spare time

Well, lots of news, no real update...

Enkeis were sold saturday to a nice chap that's restoring a FB. Soooo I bought these (teaser shot, I'll have them saturday)

14x7 ET+8 Watanabes wrapped in 195/60r14 Azenis

All the T50 bolts are zinc plated, some of them were badly pitted but the core was untouched so they should be as strong as new, just a little uglier but the are rust protected and will be hiding under the car anyway... better than old rusty one if you ask me. So I'm just waiting for the temperature to rise a little at night so I can paint the case (along with all the engine parts) and leave them to dry overnight. Once that is done, a lot of things will get reassemble and a lot of things on the list will gets scratched.

Oiling system will be heavily modified, I don't trust a crank mounted pump for a any reliability at high sustained revs...

Last week end, I had a lot of things to do on the house but I was lucky to have my new/futur assistant mechanics... I let the picture speak.

So all the sound deadning that I that I lifted this winter in -40 temperature is now gone and the floors are all cleaned. It's not as bad as in newer cars but I still removed a good 5lbs of that crap

So while I'm pretty busy, I'm waiting on the weather to warm up, can't wait to get going on that thing and I don't think I'm the only one...

Last edited by tommy; 07-02-2013 at 07:29 PM.

That's sweet man. You will be trying to keep up with that crazy little dudes plans in no time.
    BCWORKS

That's sweet man. You will be trying to keep up with that crazy little dudes plans in no time.
    Oh yeah and you have no ideas, I'm not out of the woods yet... I welded him a driving simulator for christmas using an old AE102 seat. He's 5 and spends all the rainy days dressing up and tuning old Datsun and AE86 on Forza 4...