Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131416 ... LastLast

Thread: "Project Turquoise" aka Tommy's little peanut...

Haha, nice rig, but where's the sippy cup holder?? You should get him into carting!

1970 KE17 Project
    1969 KE10 Slider

tommy is offline Redneck engineer/machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbergerud View Post
    Haha, nice rig, but where's the sippy cup holder?? You should get him into carting!
    Hahaha ! I've thought about carting but I have to deal with his mother first... and that's not as easy as it sounds
    TE31 1977 - 2T-B (traded)
    KE20 1974 - Destroked 7A, project "bigblock A meets peanut" Link to build thread (Sold)
    AE95 1990 - 4A-GZE daily driven wagon...

Nice choice on wheels however they look like Magroad aka Watanabe copies to me (lettering on the face/lip) vs none on real Wats.
    Last edited by PandaCoupe; 04-23-2013 at 09:25 AM.

I didn't take care to dig that deep honestly. Look is good, size and offset too and anyway weren't the real Watanabe Minilite replica to start with...?
    KE20 1974 - Destroked 7A, project "bigblock A meets peanut" Link to build thread (Sold)

friggin best dad ever! haha that rig is radical
    Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    i like to go into lordco and just yell into the mufflers they have in stock until i find one that tickles my fancy
    Wisdom from NeptuneD on choosing mufflers for exhaust note

OMFG i love your build
    lolwut

Thx for the great comments guys.

Don't let anyone tell you that you cannot make something new out of something old...

Those are 25 year old rusty bolts that spent 10 years rotting in a junkyard and when I'm talking rusty I'm talking about Quebec rust, which is sightly worst than Ontario's
    Last edited by tommy; 07-02-2013 at 07:49 PM.

20 hours of machining and porting out the f?cking window... FML

Now lets try this again with a freshly pulled head still full of carbon and oil...
    Last edited by tommy; 07-02-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Atleast you caught that, still a bummer wave.
    BCWORKS

Yep, better now than when the oil turn into a milkshake... still all the CC where worked : valves unshrouded, angle removed, mirror polish and all the port were blended and casting mark removed, all the surfaced were lapped straight, the valve were lapped on the seats and the cam caps honed to perfection... I was going to put the valve train back in tonight...

Soooo f?ck it, I'll clean a new one, lap the valve back on, hone the cam caps since they have light score and put it back with stock ports and stock CC... so the Tom-AGE will be fully stock except for the longer rods... I guess that way we'll really know if it's worth it of not.

1 extra rep point for PandaCoupe : they are indeed Magroad, casted in japan, one of the many Minilite replicas. They are straight no rash and were very cheap so that's all good. They need a nice wash and a respray for good measure but they should fit the peanut like a glove.

In other news, I was having my Doctorate comprehensive exam last Thursday and it turned out to be a complete success So I'm pretty glad about that and that means that I'll have a little extra time to take care of the peanut. Oh and I traded my new paper weight for a complete bigport head that a friend of mine wanted to turn into a piece of art... he'll do it with my cracked head and I'll have an uncracked spare one to work on while I finish building the engine.
    Last edited by tommy; 07-02-2013 at 07:50 PM.

Art hey.
    BCWORKS

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Haha, if you want to be crazy too, all you need is a battery charger (or any DC current under 12v), Hydrochloric acid, ammonia, a couple pack of Twin "fake sugar" and a bunch of old dead alkaline batteries... I should make a DIY when I'll have some spare time
    Yes please!
    I don't really want to buy new hardware for my ssr mkiii.

RETIRED

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    Yes please!
    I don't really want to buy new hardware for my ssr mkiii.
    Sure, I'll see if I can do that tomorrow evening, do a run and take picture then post a DIY somewhere in the tech section.

Soooo long awaited update due to doctorate studies....

Bottom end is ready for complete clean up follow by paint before reassembly. Main cap where match with bearings to give 0.0018" across the board. Crank is almost completely polished. Piston were matched to bore and final cylinder hone was done. Deck is surfaced on glass... hell yeah.

Oh and secret (not so secret now) mod

1/8" restrictor plug in the oil pass going to the head... opening bottom end oil clearances means higher flow need on the crank... and 4AG are known to fill up the head at high sustain RPM so their you go

Tomorrow is cleaning time and probably paint if the weather is fair enough.
    Last edited by tommy; 07-02-2013 at 07:53 PM.

This ****'s got me biting my nails. I wanna see it run so bad!
    If there's one thing I've learned from the first two thirds of the MC Hammer Biography, it's that money never runs out.

Colour match the block to your car! Haha.

What is the restrictor? Just a little rubber guy?
    BCWORKS

I might be wrong, but I think they're hollow grub screws, just tap and set.
    If there's one thing I've learned from the first two thirds of the MC Hammer Biography, it's that money never runs out.

The block is now flat black to hide all the rust... but warren nailed it, it's getting a nice blue coatin tomorrow... but it'll be darker.

For the restrictor, I drilled the hole out from 6mm to be able to run a 5/16 NC tap. Just took an old 5/16 bolt, drilled 1/8" through and cut a little slice at the top to be able to screw it with a flat head screwdriver and tightened it down the hole with some red locktight so it stays there for good measure. Hardest part was to clean that oil pass afterward but it's well worth it

Well I kept busy...

I have setup a clean "assembly room" using a spare bedroom in my basement that serve to pile things we're not using... way easier to keep clean than a workshop or garage

Lost of stuff piling up

And at the beginning of the week the temperatures were high enough for me to start painting...

Here is almost all the aluminium parts chilling on the floor while the paint cures enough before baking time

The tranny...

And the block

Before painting, I thoroughly cleaned the whole engine block with varsol under pressure to prep the outside for paint and get the inside all shinny. I then proceeded to clean all the oil pass with shotgun brushes

And for those who still wonder why, I left a small magnet at the bottom of the container I left under the block to receive the old varsol...

Before :

After :

And this is only the ferrous particles, no aluminium oxide from the lapping compound, or sand from the casting or abrasive particles from the honing stones. I filled 5 coffee filters with those crap afterward. Moral of the story, engines cannot be TOO clean before reassembly
    Last edited by tommy; 07-02-2013 at 07:54 PM.

Mmmmmm Ketchup!

The 7A is now officially destroked

And boy does it feel nice to spin a loose crank. It will almost spin a complete turn on it's own. I don't regret going with 0.0018" oil clearance.

Last edited by tommy; 07-02-2013 at 07:55 PM.