Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151618 ... LastLast

Thread: "Project Turquoise" aka Tommy's little peanut...

Yes please do a diy for the plating process, very interested. Also, center of crank pulley cast?

tommy is offline Redneck engineer/machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by 4doors View Post
    Yes please do a diy for the plating process, very interested.
    Sure, as soon as my old man brings my camera back from Copenhagen...

Quote Originally Posted by 4doors View Post
    Also, center of crank pulley cast?
    Probably but the weld will not really hold anything. I'll use a longer bolt to sandwich everything on the crank snout. The weld is mostly to center both pulleys on the crank. The crush from the bolt torqued to 100 ft/lbs will make sure nothing goes flying throught the hood

P.S. and aren't steering knuckles cast too... and people drive on short re-welded ones all the time...
    Last edited by tommy; 06-06-2013 at 06:49 AM.
    TE31 1977 - 2T-B (traded)
    KE20 1974 - Destroked 7A, project "bigblock A meets peanut" Link to build thread (Sold)
    AE95 1990 - 4A-GZE daily driven wagon...

ah I see what your up to I would feel better about it with a bolt through both as well. keep it up.

Yeah, as a matter of fact I was going through my bolt stash and stock engine to tranny M12 bolts are exactly the right lenght, just need to add a beefy washer and zinc plate that too.
    KE20 1974 - Destroked 7A, project "bigblock A meets peanut" Link to build thread (Sold)

Decided to make a how-to thread on electroplating zinc instead of a video... anyway I have a annoying voice so it's probably better....

Enjoy!

http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.p...197#post446197

Well, Anws3r was kind enough to send a couple oil pump along with my solid diff pinion spacer that I forgot to take a picture of... what a beautiful thing it is!!!

Anyway, I went on to identify those pumps and decided to take a couple picture if it can help others here.

So there you have it : Bluetop pump - redtop/20v pump - 7A pump

From the front, apart from the fact that the FE engine has a different line for the timing belt cover, nothing can differentiate the other 2 pumps apart.

Now it's easier to differentiate the bluetop pumps, the back cover is very different... the 7A and redtop rear cover is interchangeable (I mixed them up because one was in worst condition than the other, you just need to check the rotor gap)

And this is why : the bluetop pump has a square tooth design that is known to be inferior and tend to crack because of the crank's harmonics at high RPM, the redtop and 7A pumps have the same sinus wave design

And a close up reveal that they are both the same dia and number of waves...

But the red top rotor is wider, providing extra flow for the piston squirter (bluetop pump has the same thickness as the 7A pump)

So there you have it. I decided to clean the redtop and store it for the future... since I'm gutting the pump and using only the housing for the pressure release and the front seal, might as well "scrap" the least desirable pump so I used the bluetop one...

Here are the modifications :

Plug with under 0.003" interference, I dump a couple drops of red lock tight on top and presurized the inside for it to move down if their was a crack or something... now it's really oil tight

And just to be sure that the plug doesn't go flying at 70+ psi of pressure, I made it a little too long so it won't get past the inner lip of the stock pump rotor so even if it moves down it will not move out of the hole... and I drilled and taped a hole in the side with a little bolt red locktighted in just for good measure

And there you have it, anaerobic sealer is curing and I'll wash it well before bolting it in front of the tom-age

And in other news, my crank pulley is getting balanced but my machinist didn't have to tooling to overbore my rod small end so I either find someone else who can or try it myself... although I don't think my redneck machining with a press drill process is good enough for piston wrist pin soooo....
    Last edited by tommy; 07-02-2013 at 07:04 PM.

More custom work tonite. My stock dash is only equiped with a dummy light for the oil pressure... that will not do so I bought a mechanical oil pressure gauge to fit in a pod. Since the port for the stock sender is in front of the block under the exhaust, the plastic tube or any rubber hose is not a viable option... and SS braided hose are way over rated (read expensive for what they are). Plus the stock port is 1/8 BSPT and my fitting for the gauge are 1/8 NPT (like 99% of them)... sooo here's what I did :

I took the 7A pressure switch that is already threaded to fit the block and ripped everything inside. I grabbed an old dry brake hose from my old front brakes and cut two female M10 flared fitting for 3/16 line. I welded one of them inside the old switch and bended a brake line...

...all the way to the back of the block to the second flared fitting that is welded to a small bracket an to a 1/2" shaft that I drilled and tapped with 1/8 NPT to be able to bolt the fitting and plastic hose there right trougth the firewall... out of the way from the cherry red header.

That's it, just need to clean everything up and zinc plate all of it while I finish reassembling my second head. Things are moving along!
    Last edited by tommy; 07-02-2013 at 07:04 PM.

Zinc! come back zinc!
    1972 Mango
    1993 Toyota 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by solid_state View Post
    Zinc! come back zinc!
    hahaha nicely done! Old Simpsons quote always wins
    "mmmango!"

Quote Originally Posted by joey jo jo View Post
    hahaha nicely done! Old Simpsons quote always wins
    +1

Well, photobucket account's bandwidth busted after 2 week into the month... sucks! I have compressed the pictures and replaced everyone of them in the album. It now takes 10 times less space and doesn't change anything at the current resolution. It should cure that problem...

In other news, the rods are back from the machine shop, small end cuts, bushing pressed, oil hole bored... all I need to do is hone for oil clearance, cut a cosworth notch in the big end to oil the pistons and balance everything... luckily, by the time photobucket reset, they might be done in time for a photo update.

The head is also all assembled, cams clearance done so it's awaiting patiently for me to finish these rods and throw all the internals back in the holes.

So all in all, the rods set me back around 400$ total for them, parts and the machining which is still under half the price of some cheap custom rods made to specs. I'm pretty glad about that.

Imageshack.us
    Bryan
    DK Moderator

They'll be back on the 10th... and will probably stay like that except if the monthly views to my thread goes up 5 times what it is right now... which won't happen

Big ends have been notched, working on the K50 at the time... yeah I know, warren already told me but I may put that little sucker behind just because...

I installed the Magroads on the front and boy does it suck, I'll have to cut at least 1 and 1/2 coil out of the TRD 6kg/mm springs that are in fron tjust to bring it back to acceptable height, it's that crazy.

More updates to come, will wrap it up with picture as soon as they get back online.
    Last edited by tommy; 07-02-2013 at 10:53 AM.

Well, pictures are back, I finally changed host for imageshack like Bryan suggested.

Sooo here are the modded rods :

Bushed small end with toyota 20mm brass bushing, oil hole bored, all that's left to do is hone them to get perfect oil clearance

Notched big end to get oil under the pistons since the toyota bushing has the oil hole on the wrong side blocking the oil pass on the nissan rod big end

Notched both side just because... should be enough to cool the pistons and get oil on that floating pin

And I'm probably going to catch hell for this but screw it...

One of the four M12 bolts line up and both dowel pins. Red top 212mm flywheel doesn't clear but 200mm bluetop one clears with the clutch and pressure plate on. Only thing I have no idea yet is the starter clearance and if it mates with the 4A ring gear.

Even the clutch cable hole lines up through the threaded hole supposed to recieve the forth M12 bolt. I'll just remove the dowel pin just under there, drill and tap the hole and it'll become the new location of that intake side M12 bolt.

Input shaft lines up, I don't want to use thick aluminum plate to make the adapter plate since I don't want to back the input shaft too much out of the pilot bearing so I'll probably use 1/4" plate steel.

Oh yeah, almost forgot... /flame suit on
    Last edited by tommy; 07-02-2013 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Oh yeah, almost forgot... /flame suit on
    Do what you want man...
    1972 Mango
    1993 Toyota 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by solid_state View Post
    Do what you want man...
    That was the plan :P

Well tonite I machined an insulating spacer to get between the GZE intake and the head. With the holley's primary facing forward, the throttle linkage is sandwiched between the carb and the head, right in the PCV way. I'll do something about the PCV but even so it was a little to tight for my taste. With that 1" spacer, it'll do the trick and help isolate the intake and carb and prevent heat soaking.

Last edited by tommy; 07-07-2013 at 06:59 AM.

Here's a quick mockup to check how everything fit with the spacer. I'll just cut the PCV fitting and weld a 90? toward the back of the head to get a hose to hug the cam cover until the firewall before going to the catch can.

Oh man.
    BCWORKS

Is this one of those things where if it works, you're a genius, but if it doesn't we all just shake our heads and walk away?

1970 KE17 Project
    1969 KE10 Slider

Quote Originally Posted by Cbergerud View Post
    Is this one of those things where if it works, you're a genius, but if it doesn't we all just shake our heads and walk away?
    Maybe... but honestly I don't really care if people think I'm a genius or just stupid... I just like to do things my way even if it's going against everyone... well I guess I'm just stupid

Anyway, decided to leave the engine alone today and work on something else to stop having comments like this once and for all :

Quote Originally Posted by joey jo jo View Post
    just please lower that car soon!
    I guess better late than never...

But I do agree, this is unacceptable!

The car was riding on TRD 6kg/mm "lowering" coil... yeah right!

Lowering coil?

So here is the remedy :

Cut 1.5 coils out of the 4.5... leaving 3 coils.

But hey you can't argue with this.