Thread: Fuel Pump Relay Switch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fuel Pump Relay Switch

I am trying to determine why I am not getting power at the fuel pump on my '76 Celica GT (original owner). I tested the pump at the battery and it works fine. Right now I am looking at the fuel pump relay switch but I don't have a wiring diagram to show which wires are which. I have found that not all of the wires at the relay switch are lighting up my circuit tester and am tracing these now to see where the problem may originate. Quite possibly this is where the problem lies. Incidentally, the engine runs fine if I spray gasoline directly into the carburetor.

The fusible link at the battery is toast and I can't find one at the wreckers. Is it safe enough to wire a fuse in at the same location?

I would be grateful if anyone has any advice to offer. My automotive skills are clearly at the novice level.

Thank you.

http://digital-angel.net/1977%20Celica%20EWD.pdf

I'm not sure how similar the 76 is to the 77's wiring, but this might help.
    1990 Supra Turbo

The link you attached was excellent. Thank you greatly.

check the grounds, it's usually the grounds. Or perhaps a shorted wire along the way to the FP. You can always rewire a new relay in there. First thing I do when I buy a toyota.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugwillis View Post
    check the grounds, it's usually the grounds. Or perhaps a shorted wire along the way to the FP. You can always rewire a new relay in there. First thing I do when I buy a toyota.
    Thank you for your suggestions. The relay switch is likely the problem. I supplied power to it (from a nearby fuse to the b/w wire from the ignition), but am not getting any power out. Can you tell me how you 'rewire a new relay'? I can't find a replacement switch anywhere, so I am hoping there is another solution.

I don't know very much about doing this (obviously) so this may be a dumb question, but can I simply supply power to the (yellow) wire leading out of the switch towards the fuel pump to see if there are any problems between the switch and the pump?

Thanks again for your reply.

I think we were talking on the phone last fall about your car... Ive been meaning to give you a ring the last few weeks and see if it was still around..

Havent a wiring diagram in front of me at the moment.. but good chance theres an oil pressure switch in the fp circuit as well... to kill fuel delivery in the event of an accident.

Will see what I can dig up tomorrow..

Brett
    '87 AE86 - GTSR5 - Daily Driver
    '72 RA21 Celica - 'Ill build it one day'
    '73 RN27 Hilux - Restomod in progress
    '80 MX32 Cressida - Next in the project queue
    '91 SV25 Camry All-Trac - Winter DD