Thread: o2 sensor question

o2 sensor question

hey i was wondering if i can install my innovate MTX-L wideband in place of the stock o2 sensor/ make it work with the ecu/run the guage. is that possible?
    OldSkoolCustoms

More old toyotas then common sense

Yeah, the MTX-L is a 5 wire configuration. Power, ground, light dimmer, analog out 1 (0-5v logging), analog out 2 (0-1v) that can act as narrowband simulation, fed back to the ECU.

Brown wire is your 0-1v "stock" input to the ECU.
    Last edited by IllestVillains; 08-12-2012 at 12:41 PM.

cool so just grab myself a diagram for the stock o2 and splice the brown into the input wire then?

thanks man, i wont lie i can turn wrenches but electrical **** confuses me beyond no end
    OldSkoolCustoms

Yeah, that's right. The more accurate higher resolution (wider range) 0-5v will feed the gauge's visual output, the lower resolution 0-1v (brown wire) will be spliced in to replace the OEM O2 sensor's input to the ECU, satisfying the required OEM narrowband signal.

That brown wire scales down the higher res data to OEM spec (0-1v), so just splice it in and it's good to go. Just make sure to follow the required calibration procedure for the MTX-L during installation and it'll be gravy.

Thanks alot man!
    OldSkoolCustoms

Does this work with the innovate 4 wire? And how does it work with a 4 wire oem narrow band o2?

Quote Originally Posted by Duy- View Post
    Does this work with the innovate 4 wire? And how does it work with a 4 wire oem narrow band o2?
    Which Innovate model are you running? The LC-1?

If so, it should be a 4 wire O2 sensor that runs into a 6-wire-out controller (I believe there's also a 7-wire-out controller model, that adds an extra dedicated analog ground).

Yellow is Analog 1, Brown is again Analog 2.

If I remember correctly, the LC-1 unit's analog sources are programmed the opposite way around out of the box. The Yellow (analog 1) wire is programmed for down-scaled narrowband simulation.

Factory 4 wire heated O2 sensors are no different for this type of referencing. Out of those 4 wires, there's still only 1 signal wire to the ECU. The 2nd is the dedicated signal wire ground, the other 2 are power/ground for the sensor's internal heater.

So, if it is the LC-1 model: Replace the factory O2 signal wire in with the Analog 1 wire (yellow, or alternatively, program Analog 2 as narrowband sim) off the Innovate controller, calibrate, and you're set.

Awesome thanks, this really makes it easier than running both o2 and wide band. All I gotta do to make my life easier now is to find a flange to bolt it to the stock location