Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Serendipity's comprehensive AE86 5 speed swap.

Yeah my truck was running redline and shifted great, I switched to cheaper bulk oil and the trans hates it.

seriously ^^ Run redline lightweight shock proof. I had a beyond notchy trans in my skyline and swapped out the old motul for it... wasn't butter, but damned close.

Shiny new transmission looks nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Rastaracer
    Needz moar pics!

Pics of wiring harness and what you did to get it start properly, perhaps?

Great references and writeup, in any case!
    Corollas just aren't Corollas anymore.

I'm currently working 16 hour days, but promise to get more pictures up when my schedule eases.

Reverse light modification updated.

Thank you, this thread helped me out very much on completing this swap. The information and part numbers were much obliged.
    Last edited by rumsawatti; 07-09-2013 at 08:44 AM.

Serendipity's comprehensive AE86 5 speed swap.

TEAM M FACTORY 5TH GEAR FOR THE T50

While I had the 4-AC and Transmission out in preparation for my 20V swap, I decided to take my Trans to Bullfrog and have them install the taller 5th gear I bought from Team M Factory. It was overdue as I had been driving with my 4.778 GTS Rear End for a few weeks, and the highway RPM was uncomfortable for my 4-AC.

Once the Blacktop was installed, we took the Corolla for a test drive. At 110Km/Hr, our RPM was humming comfortably at 3600. We had calculated our projected highway RPM using Team M Factory's Online Gear Calculator (http://www.teammfactory.com/gear-calculator), and confirmed it by using a GPS Speedometer App. Subsequently, our Speedometer read 130Km/Hr proving that our Twenty Tooth Speedometer Gear was out of sync for a 4.778 Final Gear. We will discuss our solution in the next topic.

The Team M Factory 5th Gear reduces the highway RPM by 500, resulting in a 12% increase in highway fuel efficiency. The reduction in engine noise is also an asset.

The only drawback to using this Aftermarket Gear is that it has a perceivable whine under 3000RPM, which gradually declines in decibels as the RPM increases. When I spoke with Duy, the only other person I know who's installed the Gear, he too confirmed his gear is noisy. Is it possible the Gear may settle? We shall see. I already put 2300Km highway Kilometers on it last week, and nothing has changed.

CORRECT SPEEDOMETER GEAR FOR A 4.77 FINAL GEAR

While referencing Marvinng's thread (http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.p...78-final-drive), we decided that it would be best to change our twenty tooth Speedometer Gear to a twenty-two toothed Gear.

Here are the part numbers we need:

1974-79 TE/KE Corolla:
    22 Teeth Plastic Gear 33403-19175

1983-87 GTS AE Corolla:
    5 Tooth Metal Drive Gear 33481-12030

A CURIOUS FLUID LEAK FROM THE FRONT SEAL

Before my engine swap took place I noticed that my clutch was slipping a bit after some city driving. I adjusted the Pedal free play which helped, but the clutch eventually started slipping again, this time after more intense "stop and go".

When I pulled the trans to install my new Fifth Gear, I saw that the inside of the bell housing was covered in oil. I mistook it for my Rear Engine Seal (as it was the last seal I hadn't replaced), but after reinstalling the Trans, I know now that its Transmission fluid. My Engine oil is red, and the fluid that is still escaping from the Bell Housing looks and smells like Redline..

Does anyone have any ideas why the Front Seal and/or Gasket is leaking? They're brand new. Asides from damaged or faulty Seals, what else could be the problem?
    Last edited by Serendipity; 08-11-2013 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    Vote to change Adrian's name to wiskers.
    BCWORKS

Cause hes such a worrier?

1970 KE17 Project
    1969 KE10 Slider

Serendipity's comprehensive AE86 5 speed swap.

MY CHANGE TO REDLINE MT-90

I can't say enough good things about this fluid. Since I switched from Motul, the shifting has been like butter, right from a cold start.

Motul performed well only once I had driven the car for about a half an hour, which leads me to believe it has good heat properties for a race fluid. I'm not a racer, so Redline it is!
    Last edited by Serendipity; 08-07-2013 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity
    33403-18175
    Not sure where that number came from, but it's not a good number anywhere in the world I can check with. Looks like it's probably got a typo or something.

Regardless, whatever driven gear you choose to run will need the correct drive gear as well, just something to be aware of. SR5 and GT-S are not the same.

Jeff

2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

Corrected! Thanks Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    TEAM M FACTORY 5TH GEAR FOR THE T50

After testing the first generation Team M Factory 5th gear and speaking with Patrick from the company, I understood that the noise was coming from the way the gears were cut. Their gear was designed to withstand 350hp, which was way more than this poor old Toyota transmission would ever see. Since I was not consulted on the first Gen design, I was not able to tell them my opinion. That’s said, I did commission a second generation fifth gear with cuts that were closer to OEM spec. The result was an absolute quiet ride. Problem solved.

When I had the transmission apart to install the second generation fifth gear, the tech told me that my transmission was leaking from the OEM paper gasket on the input shaft side. We threw it in the garbage! In its place he used a good sealant, and it has never leaked since.

Hey man, I've been referring a lot to your 5 speed swap thread on your ae86 because im currently swapping mine. First off, I just wanted to give you a huge thanks because your thread has helped me so much. I was wondering if you were ever able to create the PDF template of the manual transmission tunnel?