Thread: Ken's AE86 Beast!

Ken's AE86 Beast!

THE BEAST!!!

This is a long over due thread, I got this car 3 years ago from some greedy guy trying to flip the car, he bought it off simonb(a member on dk from way back).

It originally was built by JimmyHoffa (an old member here on the boards), or atleast thats what i know about it.

When it came up I was looking to pickup a built AE86 since my only other car was my beater SR5.

This car was originally an SR5 thats been converted to a 20v.

Cars got some decent parts on it:

Engine
    1. 20 Valve silvertop
    2. VW velocity stacks with Unifilter foam stack filters
    3. custom 2.25" stainless section bent over-axle exhaust with 2.5 inch cat (sounds good, a bit loud over 5000rpm)
    4. Zenki GTS rear end with TRD 1.5 way LSD
    5. Custom one piece driveshaft from Malmberg (Pulled it for now)
    6. Megasquirt I standalone ECU running MSnSExtra code with Ford EDIS coilpack
    7. Honda igniters - Hitachi E12-303
    8. Innovate LC1 wideband o2 sensor
    9. OBX header (2inch downpipe section rebuilt in 2.25 and fits the same as OEM) (heatwrapped)
    10. ACT clutch and pressure plate
    11. Fidanza light weight flywheel
    12. lightened stock Crank pulley (front row machined off)

Chassis
    • all sound deadening removed
    • all rust repaired and POR-15ed

Suspension
    • fully adjustable 4-link and panhard bar
    • Cusco engine & Trans mounts
    • Cusco camber plates with custom machined spacers
    • KYB AGX short stroke MR2/Camaro shocks
    • Ground control coilover front with 6.0kg/mm Eibach springs
    • TRD Racing rear springs 4.3kg/mm
    • Prothane Eurethane bushing kit
    • Manaul power rack (looped lines)
    • Battery relocation kit in the hatch

Brakes
    • Russell Stainless Steel braided brakelines
    • All new brake hardlines
    • New Brake Master Cylinder
    • New Clutch Master Cylinder (installed) & Slave (not installed)
    • 4 rebuilt calipers
    • Slotted Brembo front rotors (<4000km and 2 months)
    • New Eurorotor rear blank rotors(<10,000km and 4 months)
    • All new e-brake cables
    • Spin turn knob

Interior
    • Stewart Warner oil pressure gauge 0-100psi
    • 15" Grant Formula GT steering wheel with Momo hub adapter & Momo-Grant adapter & extension kits
    • Custom short-shifter with Delrin shiftknob
    • Custom aluminum pedals
    • Pioneer Head unit with stock front speakers & infinity rears

Previous owners pictures of the car:

I picked it up in ottawa and drove her all the way home to hamilton the same day, 5 hour drive, crazy ass day, had an extra T-50 in the hatch, extra wheels, everything, it was rediculess. Got stopped halfway home (at like 3am) by cops saying my plates belong to a white Hatch not a red one, LOL, lucky for me the cop was understanding and let me go.
    Anyways Here's a few pics when i got her home:

A pic taken with my buddies AE86 and my girlfriends pink AE86 right after we got her home

Since then the car pretty much went into stealth mode, I've posted here and there for tips on fixing its many issues but that aside it hasn't driven much at all, being tied up with my other projects i've put 1500km on it in the 3 years since i owned her, the longest stint being taking it to bomanville track.

At some point I decided to paint it panda, a decision I sometimes regret, don't get me wrong i love the black and white panda, but the more i see red AE86's, the more i think I should have left it red, regardless I did all the work myself painting the car including prep and paint, turned out ok, not perfect but pretty decent for a do it yourself.

Made it out to a few meets and autocross here and there

Last year i took her to neetronics where they did a proper tune, car starts up in the cold now and runs pretty decent.

Still i get the odd issue here or there where the engine would cut out for no reason at all, pull up to a stop light and the engine just dies, one time i was crusing down the road and went to accelerate, no response, look down, 0RPM, WTF!!, the engine just cut out mid drive. im guessing loose connection or something, it fired right back up but still very odd.

Anyways its actually been sitting in the garage since last October, I just pulled her out to take it for a spin today, ran great and sounds amazing.

I've decided I want to actually drive this car more and not have it just be a waste of money but before i can do that, i need to fix a few problems.

1 being an insane amount of vibration on deceleration, it literally vibrates through my ass and up the seat. I have no idea whats causing all the vibration, my suspicion would be the exhaust rubbing up against the body but i don't see any obvious spots.

The other issue being the wiring job in the engine bay, the car starts and runs so i cant really complain but it just looks so bad and i just envision something vibrating loose at exactly the wrong moment.

Here's a few pics:

I've held off on sending it to a shop to get fixed thinking i'd get around to fixing them at some point but I've been so busy I've just never got around to it, The previous owner wired in a sh*t ton of relays and hacked the harness up, i took a look and it looks like the rear harness is still SR5 with just the nessicary wires run to turn on the fuel pump, i'm guessing they did the same with the engine harness thus all the relays.

I might look into seeing if Dr.Tweek or someone else can build me a harness that connects to my setup, I'm guessing if thats the case I might have to change all the body harnesses(under dash and such). Is there any easy way to tell if i got a GTS or SR5 under dash harness? The other option is just find someone who knows their sh*t and get them to clean up the wiring, even just tucking away the ugly wiring would be an improvement.

Video of me test driving it today(Do youself a favour and fast forward to 1:40, before then is just me blabbing on)

Footage of it on the track last year

Footage of me driving at autocross my buddy recorded, first time ever taking the car out to any event, i was chicken sh*t to push it
    Last edited by Jehuty77; 08-27-2012 at 06:17 AM.

My blood is all over this car lol. Those are my old wheels that were terrible. To fix the engine bay you should just rewire it from scratch completely. The reason for the relays is A, fans, B it was carbed. My advice is now that you have it running leave it the **** alone. The second you start rewiring, messing with grounds I promise it will run like ****. That copper ground bar is genius.

Does this car still have heim four links on my diff? Brians gonna vomit when hes sees you panda'd his car. Gj getting it running finally.
    I am your 4ajesus

PS: Buy a painless efi fuse/relay block and build from there. Leave the rest alone, the entire body and dash has its own power source from the battery to the under dash fusebox.

As you change the wiring, you will change the voltage seen at the ecu, also ensure that he same powersource hits the injectors and ecu so there is no voltage offset. Expect changes in your dead time settings, dwell setting and battery correction settings depending on how much of a voltage difference there is.

I completely rewired my entire EFI system in about 2 weeks.
    I am your 4ajesus

Quote Originally Posted by TTC View Post
    My blood is all over this car lol. Those are my old wheels that were terrible. To fix the engine bay you should just rewire it from scratch completely. The reason for the relays is A, fans, B it was carbed. My advice is now that you have it running leave it the **** alone. The second you start rewiring, messing with grounds I promise it will run like ****. That copper ground bar is genius.

Does this car still have heim four links on my diff? Brians gonna vomit when hes sees you panda'd his car. Gj getting it running finally.
    Yeah its still running the heim four links, i know you said switching back to the oem style would reduce vibrations, I haven't changed them since everyone i speak to tells me to keep them.

Regarding the engine bay wiring, Even just cleaning it up would be an improvement, I don't necessarily want to hack it up if i don't have to but I want to clean it up atleast.

Car runs like a champ though and sounds so good that videos dont do it justice.

I've kept it in good shape, the bodys so rust free it makes my other AE86's cry.

Love it.

There's more rust on this thread than in the entire province of BC... nice!

yup, there goes one of the wheels... it fell off because so much vibration, it's gotta be exhaust related.
    Last edited by REN69; 08-26-2012 at 06:22 PM.

Follow my Supra Antics on Facebook ---> HERE!

Man, it's good to see my old car is still getting some love. Looking at that wiring in the engine bay makes me ashamed. When I first had it running it was a lot tidier, but then I changed a few things and had more interest in driving it than making the engine bay pretty again. Then I sold it and a lot of wiring was altered. The Honda igniters made a big difference in how it ran after that. If I were to do it again knowing what I know now I would definitely do echo an COP setup like I now have on my 1.5JZ.

Tom is spot on about the **** tons of relays. Headlights are relayed straight to the battery, fan is on a relay, pretty sure I had to put in a relay for the fuel pump since the 4A had a mechanical one. The ground strap/bar is something I've stuck with through pretty much every car I've modded and has never let me down. Clean grounds are key (as I learned through trial and error). If anything I should have extended the grounds from the passenger's strut tower to the front left corner and put the ground bar there. Totally rewiring the car with a painless kit would be the best way to make it clean, but will take forever and will likely be a big PITA.

If anything this car was a long series of lessons of trial and error and how not to do things. I like to think I learned a lot and fixed a lot of things along the way, but looking back at it now there was so much more I wanted/needed to do with it. Glad to see it ended up in good hands.
    1987 Toyota Corolla SR5 20 valve megasquirt bucket SOLD
    1985 Toyota Cressida mintier than yo mama's mouthwash with 1JZ + big single turbo

thats pretty friggen cool man

1991 Tercel 4A-GEsmallport RIP 09/02/2011 - - 1993 Supra.
    05 IS300 Daily