Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scion Tuner Challenge FR-S Edition Team VCMC!

Scion Tuner Challenge FR-S Edition Team VCMC!

2012 Scion Tuner Challenge FR-S Edition
    Team VCMC

Competition:

3 Tuner Challenge Teams have been selected to compete in this 14 month challenge ? 1 from each region (British Columbia, Ontario, and Quebec)

Teams selection will be based on the following: credibility within the automotive scene, profile within the local automotive scene, proven knowledge and ability to professionally modify a vehicle for performance competition, and demonstrated passion for motorsports.

Provided with a brand new Scion FR-S and $15k in cash, teams will be modifying and competing in an FR-S in a series of 11 automotive challenges ? that looks to showcase not only the merits of the car as a performance oriented, highly modifiable sports car, but to showcase the talents of each team and their ability to strategize and execute a modification plan to win as many of the challenges put in front of them

Challenges will range from motorsports to more lifestyle oriented challenges:
    • Autocross: Toronto (August 26th 2012)
    • Driving Skills: Montreal (September 2nd 2012)
    • Drag Racing: Edmonton
    • Drifting: Edmonton
    • Ice racing: Montreal
    • Media Challenge: Vancouver
    • Time Attack: Vancouver
    • Gymkhana: Montreal
    • CSCS Endurance Challenge: Toronto
    • Show and Shine: Toronto
    • People Choice Award: Online

The winner of the challenge will be determined through a points system where teams will finish 1st, 2nd or 3rd in each of the challenges and awarded points based on their finish in each.
    The team with the most points at the end of the 11 challenges will be crowned the 2012 Scion Tuner Challenge winner and wins the prize of owning the Scion FR-S they have been working on
    A 12 part webisode series will be filmed following the teams competition and behind the scenes at all events!

Team VCMC looks to represent and embody the Grassroots motorsports community. The 2012 Scion Tuner Challenge FR-S Edition will let our team show the strengths of our club, the members, and the people who love racing. We want to connect with everyone who spends all week waiting to go racing on the weekend. Team VCMC will also focus on what all true racers yearn to do: WIN!!!
    The Team VCMC car will be extensively tested. This season alone club VCMC has more than 13 events scheduled for 2012. These days include both autocross and on track lapping days. The car build will be modeled off the current SCCA Solo Street Touring class with a hint of Street Mod for weight reduction. The official challenge rules are very relaxed, but we feel the ST model allows us to exploit a street tire perfectly, and allow for further evolution.
    Most importantly we want to test, test, test the car. Trusting and understanding the car before the major events will help us win. No part will ever make it to the competition if it hasn?t been tested and proven to make us faster. Of course we care about looking good but team VCMC believe in function over form. Luckily, the FR-S platform is already very appealing to the eye!

Team VCMC has formed a partnership with Shift Autosport located in Burnaby for this challenge. Their build experience and tuning expertise will be a huge asset in the technical buildup of the Scion FR-S.
    Shift Autosport has been a staple in the Metro Vancouver grassroots racing scene and know what it takes to compete as the guys race themselves. www.shiftautosport.ca

Complete details on car build, challenges, videos, promotional contests will all be posted on the VCMC website! But be sure to follow us here for live updates:

Richard Basford

Saw the Quebec one at my buddys on Saturday, pretty freaking awesome

It was a pleasure meeting many of you at the 8/6 meet and I wanted to make sure we had some great content before starting a post on the Dori-Kaze forums!

For your viewing pleasure:

Challenge #1 Webisode!!!!!!

Testing Testing Testing!!!

Multi Angle of our FR-S autocrossing!!

Front suspension of during an autocross run!!!

We have much more content on our FACEBOOK but done forget to check out the website:

If anyone has any questions about the challenge, the car, setup or ANYTHING, I'd be happy to help in any way!

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by mech View Post
    Saw the Quebec one at my buddys on Saturday, pretty freaking awesome
    Agreed sir! They have produced a very good looking car! Danny is a properly nice guy too!

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by VCMC-stc View Post
    Agreed sir! They have produced a very good looking car! Danny is a properly nice guy too!

Richard
    You guys seem to be off to a pretty good start as well, best of luck!

Thank you sir! It is going to be a very long and interesting competition.

Richard

also welcome to the boards!!
    *hugs*

narfy is offline gigidy gigidy... ooo right!!
    that's some serious subframe movement and or flex... i wonder how much the average car's subframe flexes or moves... that being said, i realize u guys are running monster stickies...
    Last edited by SupraFiend; 10-04-2012 at 03:59 PM.
    VZN185 - 32" BFG AT, OME suspension, ARB bumper, lightforce lights, TRD trans cooler, TRD exhaust, AMT sliders, budbuilt plates...
    ZN6 - stock with HIDs and LEDs...
    fng@regencyauto.com

Quote Originally Posted by narfy View Post
    on a slightly more serious note... that's some serious subframe movement and or flex... i wonder how much the average car's subframe flexes or moves... that being said, i realize u guys are running monster stickies...
    Good eye Narfy, while the autox conditions exaggerate the subframe bushings movements I wouldn't be surprised to see similar travel during 'spirited' driving. We installed a set of Whiteline subframe bushings which have made a big difference, I'll post a comparison video as soon as we record it!

Richard
    Last edited by SupraFiend; 10-04-2012 at 03:59 PM.

Working as a Scion Canada brand ambassador this summer, I have nothing but good things to say about all the Scion FR-S challenge competitors as well as the people that make it happen in front of the camera and behind the scenes. It doesn't hurt that all of our girl, brand ambassadors are hella cute too!

It's too bad you aren't choosing a particularly good car, sunray for the sole fact that you think it may carry a certain "stigma" associated with some "type of people". I'm always a fan of the underdog and the sole reason I live for driving an AE86 is that there just so happens to be cool people that get it, ie Dori-Kaze that have a sense of humour and keep things light... calling someone out on the boards, doesn't gain much respect, no matter how OG or weight you carry around here, so be nice please (Richard too!).

Richard, I look forward to seeing the VCMC team do well. I can't choose sides, but I look at your FR-S and I know, it's most aligned with what I like compared to the other 2.

Who wants to see a time-lapse video of me and Pat Cyr stripping an FR-S chassis bare?
    JOVER
    F20C Powered 1985 AE86 Corolla GT-S Coupe | 4AGE 1986 AW11 MR2 Fully Loaded! Black on black on black

I'd love to see that!! Can't wait to see Pat's build! Hopefully he brings it to one of the Challenges next year!

Richard

Team VCMC Suspension Cam!!!!!

Have you ever wondered what suspension looks like during an autocross run??

Left rear suspension! Check out the subframe movement and tire flex!!

Front left suspension!

More coming soon as we have installed Whiteline front and rear swaybars and bushings since these videos were taken. We're especially excited to see the difference in subframe movement with the Whiteline rear subframe bushings installed!!!

For the most UP-TO-DATE info on Team VCMC LIKE us on Facebook: www.Facebook.com/VCMCstc

Richard

narfy is offline gigidy gigidy... ooo right!!
    richard, thank you for posting the subframe video up... was that before or after the whiteline bushings went in?
    VZN185 - 32" BFG AT, OME suspension, ARB bumper, lightforce lights, TRD trans cooler, TRD exhaust, AMT sliders, budbuilt plates...
    ZN6 - stock with HIDs and LEDs...
    fng@regencyauto.com

I think the stripe is lame, and sort of boy racer. Good luck though!

Quote Originally Posted by narfy View Post
    richard, thank you for posting the subframe video up... was that before or after the whiteline bushings went in?
    That video shows the before Whiteline parts added. We got video this weekend from post installation, really excited to show everyone that one, it is very cool to see them side by side. Will post up asap.

Quote Originally Posted by 616racing View Post
    I think the stripe is lame, and sort of boy racer. Good luck though!
    Agreed it is, but hopefully not too over the top. Thanks for the support!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by sunray View Post
    He had a clearly unfair advantage and many organizers even commented on how inappropriate it seemed to collect prize money and a plaque for an event designed to advertise the car, whilst simultaneously attending the weekend to compete and advertise the car.
    You're completely entitled to your opinion on me but I'd like to clarify something. I did not receive a plaque that day for taking 3rd in the competition.

I spent that day in the Team VCMC FR-S testing with R-Comps on. I did the same number of runs as anyone else on that course before taking a run in a stock FR-S with TC on the Primacy tires.

For the last 10 years I have been autocrossing at various levels of concentration, culminating in a trip to the US nationals in 2011. As well as competing I spend a lot of time jumping into other peoples cars and teaching at the VCMC Velocity program, UBCSCC Autocross 101 and at local events. Jumping into a car and driving fast with no previous experience in it is a skill and I have confidence that it could have been ANY car that day and I would be able to compete at the top.

To put my comments in context the other two drivers to beat me that day were Glen Hernandez a multiple trophy winning national caliber driver from Washington and my co-driver from 2011 Andre Millette who accompanied me to Lincoln Nebraska for the US Autox Nationals.

If anyone is interested in learning to autocross or hone your skills I'd highly suggest UBCSCC's Autocross 101 taking place this weekend at Pitt Meadows Airport! UBC puts together a great learning environment ever year with knowledgeable instructors.

More info here: http://www.ubcscc.com/ubcscc-autox-101-sign-up-open/

Richard

Whiteline Suspension Upgrades!!!

VCMC is proud to be officially sponsored by Whiteline Performance Suspension! To show off some of the fantastic products Whiteline has sent to us for testing, Team VCMC put together a side by side comparison of the rear suspension. One thing Team VCMC and a lot of people online noticed is just how much movement there was in the subframe during our previous video. Once we installed the Rear Crossmember Mount Insert Bushings we could feel the difference right away and you can see the difference in the video!

You'll also notice we changed from the stock 13mm rear swaybar to the Whiteline 16mm which lessens the body roll across the rear end and definitely activates more grip!!!

Keep up to date on our facebook: www.facebook.com/VCMCstc

Also make sure to check out our website: www.TeamVCMC.com

Richard

From a strictly promotional perspective, team VCMC is rocking it... A sponsor's dream. Keep up the good work.

IMO, this whole competition is pretty hokey, but maybe it's just because I'm not involved at all and brings up some bad memories of "Ontarioism". They could use a producer who actually has a clue. The concept is sound, the competitors are talented, and Pat is my homey. But all of it just looks super, super contrived.

I swear Belec is going to jump out of the bushes somewhere in another episode... lol
    Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    i like to go into lordco and just yell into the mufflers they have in stock until i find one that tickles my fancy
    Wisdom from NeptuneD on choosing mufflers for exhaust note

Quote Originally Posted by VickersGTS View Post
    From a strictly promotional perspective, team VCMC is rocking it... A sponsor's dream. Keep up the good work.

IMO, this whole competition is pretty hokey, but maybe it's just because I'm not involved at all and brings up some bad memories of "Ontarioism". They could use a producer who actually has a clue. The concept is sound, the competitors are talented, and Pat is my homey. But all of it just looks super, super contrived.

I swear Belec is going to jump out of the bushes somewhere in another episode... lol

Thanks so much VickersGTS!!!

I have to admit, there are definitely points of the competition that are marketing 'hokeyness' (ball in a cup challenge springs to mind, the video for that is coming out soon). That being said, it has some really cool aspects such as the true motorsports events. We are really excited about ice racing, time attack and the CSCS challenge!

Scion choosing us as a team was a bit of a risk, we are kinda the 'unknown'. Way out in BC, motorsports focused, and not big reputation. Hopefully we've proven that it was a good decision and continue to do so.

If not, meh, they gave us a car and some $$$; we're having fun!!!

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by VCMC-stc View Post

If not, meh, they gave us a car and some $$$; we're having fun!!!

Richard
    Where's the "Like" button on this thing?

Automotive marketing is hilarious and rarely makes any logical sense. Just to have something like this happening in Canada is all but unbelievable. Milk it for all it's worth and have a riot doing so!

- Migs

1986 GT-S Hatchback, 2002 IS300 5MT w/LSD, 1991 22RE 4x4 Pickup