Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: daily driver FR-S ? Qu?bec

daily driver FR-S ? Qu?bec

So, a while back, I sold all my cars/trucks/crap and bought an FR-S

I'd actually preordered it so I got it in June.

Checking it out for the first time

First drive

Hard to wipe the stupid smile off my face

So drove it all summer, was gone most of the time for work so I didn't get to autocross it yet.

I will be winter driving it so I needed rims.

I still had my old Subaru 2.5RS rims, and they fit.... so....

Sandblasted and powdercoated.

Got a smoking deal on some Toyo Garit KX's.

Installed on the car.

That's about it so far, no real plans yet.

Just drive.

It's amazing how spoiled you can get driving this car.
    Last edited by mech; 11-23-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Nice, let the outof control spending begin!!
    I would have a hard time not going wild ordering every new part that poped up online.

I thought about doing the same thing you did.... But even if I wanted to now, there's a huge waiting list!
    JOVER
    F20C Powered 1985 AE86 Corolla GT-S Coupe | 4AGE 1986 AW11 MR2 Fully Loaded! Black on black on black

Ya I got mine June 4th, I think im putting her away for the winter this weekend though :S

tommy is offline Redneck engineer/machinist
    Wow, I would be scrared to even park it close to the road during winter... damn salt!

I really need to drive those 300km and go see that thing before it's too late
    TE31 1977 - 2T-B (traded)
    KE20 1974 - Destroked 7A, project "bigblock A meets peanut" Link to build thread (Sold)
    AE95 1990 - 4A-GZE daily driven wagon...

Do you plan to rust proof your FR-S

I ask because I'm thinking if i should rust proof mine even though im not going to winter drive it, additionally i've heard they will want to drill holes into the body so they can spray in the rust proofing.

Quote Originally Posted by paulcorolla View Post
    Nice, let the outof control spending begin!!
    I would have a hard time not going wild ordering every new part that poped up online.
    I'll admit I've had some urges, but I've still got the old corolla to waste money on.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Wow, I would be scrared to even park it close to the road during winter... damn salt!

I really need to drive those 300km and go see that thing before it's too late
    You know, I'm not too worried, the cars been well undercoated and I go through a car wash once a week (might be more during winter).

One thing I noticed when working at the shop was that all of our customers who kept their cars clean (and I mean clean underneath, exterior and interior) never had rust problems (unless the car was a piece of ****).

If you wash your car regularly, pressure wash the underside, keep all the drains clean and take the time to clean out the areas that collect junk (like inside the inner fenders) the car should stay rust free, even when winter driven.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehuty77 View Post
    Do you plan to rust proof your FR-S

I ask because I'm thinking if i should rust proof mine even though im not going to winter drive it, additionally i've heard they will want to drill holes into the body so they can spray in the rust proofing.
    If you're not winter driving, then don't undercoat it.

Keep it clean, take care of it and you'll be fine.

I had mine undercoated at Tony Graham Scion. No holes were drilled.

Do a light coat yourself. Wurth makes a friggin amazing undercoat spray bomb.

RETIRED

spray all the seams of the car with oilspray even the rust check **** is decent, manufacturing will never be perfect i got my new taco and u could see where paint was a little weak on the frame welds so i spray bombed them and oil sprayed the tits out of it at work, and no that electronic rust **** isnt the same like a scion owner tried to tell me lol

Wurth also sells HHS 2000 and HHS Lube. Salt water resistant and high pressure lubricants that you'd want to use on all the hinges and exposed bolts nuts.

I took a couple hours and treated my IS300 wherever it was needed or where potential for corrosion could be found.

Your car will rust if you drive in the winter. There's a reason why westerners rarely touch cars from Quebec.

1986 GT-S Hatchback, 2002 IS300 5MT w/LSD, 1991 22RE 4x4 Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by Migs View Post

Your car will rust if you drive in the winter. There's a reason why westerners rarely touch cars from Quebec.
    free weight reduction

everyone like free things right ?

Before the major snow hits I'll take the time to give it a once over with a can of Wurth (like migs and JungleMatic recommend or something similar).

I used to work with one guy who literally undercoated his car with white lithium grease... it was disgusting.

On another note, it's absolutely positively ****ing amazing how much difference having snow tires on this car makes... and I haven't even driven in snow yet.

Painted the center caps.

Lookin' good! Goal is to have one by 2014!
    1987 Toyota Corolla GTS
    2012 Triumph Daytona 675
    2011 Honda Ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by mech View Post
    You know, I'm not too worried, the cars been well undercoated and I go through a car wash once a week (might be more during winter).

One thing I noticed when working at the shop was that all of our customers who kept their cars clean (and I mean clean underneath, exterior and interior) never had rust problems (unless the car was a piece of ****).

If you wash your car regularly, pressure wash the underside, keep all the drains clean and take the time to clean out the areas that collect junk (like inside the inner fenders) the car should stay rust free, even when winter driven.
    ...mmm....not sure I believe that...seems like wishful thinking....
    driving a car in winter in a place that salts the roads will inevitably cause more rust than not driving it.....it will always get into some place that you can't get at....
    Rusting limited through due diligence...sure....rust free?....wishful thinking
    1979 Cressida JZX3 VVTi

2econd Heart Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flipkc View Post
    Lookin' good! Goal is to have one by 2014!
    I'm hoping to buy a 2nd year car as well... keep the Supra for winter driving.

lol jkjk, I'd drive the FR-S in the winter too.

Follow my Supra Antics on Facebook ---> HERE!

my ae86 was meticulously home rust proofed by the guy who owned it before me and said he rarely drove in the snow in quebec and it has incredibly small amounts of rust for a 25 year old car... you just need to stay on top of the rust proofing and ya just avoid the quebec winters as much as possible considering you can insure an car 1 way in quebec for peanuts i would just by a 90's corolla to bust throught the snowy months or better a 90s impreza (what i did)

Looking good Nate
    1987 Toyota Corolla SR5 20 valve megasquirt bucket SOLD
    1985 Toyota Cressida mintier than yo mama's mouthwash with 1JZ + big single turbo