Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where should i go for fully rebuild an ae86 in GTA

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

where should i go for fully rebuild an ae86 in GTA

i got an ae86 gts hatch. it pretty rusted and the engine is not started. it need a fully rebuild.
    the full chassis may need spot welding and repaint.
    any body knows where should i go to fix it in GTA area?
    i really want bring it back to road

A bank.
    BCWORKS

Where in the GTA are you? Pics? Lots of places do restorations, but a total car restoration costs a lot! I talked to one guy that was restoring cars where I bought mine, he said he was 3/4 done a truck, and they guy had already paid over $200000. I would say fix it yourself and have fun with it!

these cars are more do it yourself projects vs paying someone more than the car is worth to fix it. Not interested in trying your own hand at it?

That being said I can offer cheap paint jobs that look nice, like the one in my signature, and some body work and welding depending on what you need done. Main concern is space and working out of the 2 car garage I cant have it tired up for more than a day or two.

If you have no mechancial ability, tools, shop ect you are pretty much ****ed. Sell it, it will cost 10s of thousands to get it up to par with a bc car that costs 4500.

OR buy mine for 15k
    I am your 4ajesus

A frame off restoration of your Shell alone (not including Doors, Hood, and Hatch/Trunk) will cost you $10,000 for the metal and paint work provided you can remove and reinstall everything yourself. You will pay extra for reinstalling the glass, for various OEM Bolts and weatherstripping, and replacing whatever breaks as you remove it.

The mechanical side of your car is another story.

If you can afford it, then go for it, but I'm curious why with no mechanical experience you chose to buy a car that while relatively easy to work on requires a decent amount of pampering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Serendipity; 11-27-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Because 5th stage just came out.
    I am your 4ajesus

Lol!

Follow my Supra Antics on Facebook ---> HERE!

Go to the states and buy a clean shell. Best decision I ever made Ontario cars are all rust buckets and not worth working on.

I am going to have to do that soon myself!

A frame off restoration of your Shell alone (not including Doors, Hood, and Hatch/Trunk) will cost you $10,000 for the metal and paint work provided you can remove and reinstall everything yourself.
    I get unreasonably agitated when people talk about their frame on a unibody car. In a frame off restoration what would the frame be that you are taking off.

I'd find a better car and use this one for parts.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

What would be the equivalent phrase for "frame off" for a unibody. It is quite possible people use the phrase to express the degree of rebuild without thinking that the ae86 is not a body on a frame. I dont actually put carts before horses for example

Quote Originally Posted by clay72 View Post
    I get unreasonably agitated when people talk about their frame on a unibody car. In a frame off restoration what would the frame be that you are taking off.

Last edited by woodenturn; 11-27-2012 at 09:49 PM. Reason: forgot to include "not"
    1984 blacktop coupe
    1982 Corolla wagon - STOLEN

Quote Originally Posted by woodenturn View Post
    What would be the equivalent phrase for "frame off" for a unibody. It is quite possible people use the phrase to express the degree of rebuild without thinking the ae86 is a body on a frame. I dont actually put carts before horses for example
    frame on?

1991 Tercel 4A-GEsmallport RIP 09/02/2011 - - 1993 Supra.
    05 IS300 Daily

Sub frame off?
    81,84,87, 88 toyota cressida, 84 bj60, 85 bj60, 86 hj60soa, 71 datsun 521 pickup

Quote Originally Posted by clay72 View Post

Get agitated all you like Sir.

"Frame Off" Restoration is a term that fell into use when cars were essentially composed of two pieces; Body and Chassis. It's still used by many true automotive restorers including the shop that has done some resto work on my car. They also restore Mercedes Gull Wings that sell for $1-4M, so I'd be hard pressed to correct them. When in Rome..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Serendipity; 11-27-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Lol oh he showed you clay!

You should probably fix it yourself, learn the basics of body work.

What parts are rotted? Underneath? Fenders? Rear Quarters? Rocker Panels? If you post pics we can see how bad it really is.

thankyou DKs. i will post pic tonit.

Lol I hate it. I hate 300SLs. I hate cars. I hate "true automotive restorers". Hatehatehate.

Anyways looking forward to seeing pics of this car so we can say how rough it really is. Hopefully not as bad as you think Jilun.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car