Thread: Healthy dose of 8/16 bit gaming and...drifting?

Healthy dose of 8/16 bit gaming and...drifting?

So this is the regular time of year when I usually drag out all the old video game systems and play the hell out of them before xmas. Think Turbografx16, ps1, NES, Atari, blah blah.

Anyway, I always end up playing an crapload of Ridge Racer and Ridge Racer Revolution. It occurred to me that these games were the first I ever played where you could actually drift (unless you have a good imagination with Victory Run or NES Micro Machines). The physics are brutally unrealistic in Ridge racer and rr rev but man it sure was fun pulling a ridiculous drift or reverse 360 drift. Anyone else play these once upon a time?

Again, no skills needed. the game would keep you in the middle of the track once you initiated. Discuss.

Or you could have said "sorry, my kidnap victims keep kicking my elbow, it made me drop my crack pipe and swerve"

-bangnscrape

Micromachines on the nes was rad. They defied most logic but made for some great entertainment. Bmx on California games, skate or die plus everyone's favorite Mario 3 used up a lot of my early years
    81,84,87, 88 toyota cressida, 84 bj60, 85 bj60, 86 hj60soa, 71 datsun 521 pickup

+1 for California Games. I could never get past the last jump in BMX; I always face planted. Loved being chased by the shark in surfing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha ha! I used to tape me drifting on Micromachines on the VHS, and dub punk music over it. Even then NES was way out of date but it was still a long long time ago. In Excitebike I also figured a way to build my own track where I stayed in the air the whole time.
    "mmmango!"

RC pro-am. Slide city

Quote Originally Posted by joey jo jo View Post
    Ha ha! I used to tape me drifting on Micromachines on the VHS, and dub punk music over it. Even then NES was way out of date but it was still a long long time ago. In Excitebike I also figured a way to build my own track where I stayed in the air the whole time.
    1984 blacktop coupe
    1982 Corolla wagon - STOLEN

You need some Shutokou Battle '94, both #1 and #2. Released for the Super Famicom in Japan. It was the same graphics and physics engine as F-Zero and Mario-Kart, but with Skylines, Supras, Silvias and MR2's. Note there are a ton of great japanese racing games we never saw for the PS1 and plenty of Roms and Emulators kicking around for them.

SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

Plenty of Roms and Emulators..... and then no link

lame

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoQuinn View Post
    You need some Shutokou Battle '94, both #1 and #2. Released for the Super Famicom in Japan. It was the same graphics and physics engine as F-Zero and Mario-Kart, but with Skylines, Supras, Silvias and MR2's. Note there are a ton of great japanese racing games we never saw for the PS1 and plenty of Roms and Emulators kicking around for them.

1984 blacktop coupe
    1982 Corolla wagon - STOLEN