Thread: 4AGE SP Motor as a Marine Motor?

4AGE SP Motor as a Marine Motor?

I thought id share this because it made me Lol'ed

These motors are usually connected straight to a prop on a long shaft and are called mud motors. Very popular ranging from lawnmower engines to huge turbocharged diesel motors in other countries.
    Last edited by 4age-ftw; 01-08-2013 at 06:17 PM.

i have seen 4ages on small boats before, they are actually prety quick. like 40+ mph quick. i was thinking of doing it in a 18ft aluminium boat. and good thing is with a strong 4age you and run them hard for a long time! the other thing is you have the T50 on it and a steep and large pitch prop and use a lower gear like 3rd or 4th, then crusing at a lower rpm you use 5th.
    -Cam-

85 RA64 Celica 22RTE CT26
    91 MX83 Cressida stock

And I thought people only used them for boat anchors!
    Quote Originally Posted by b-rock View Post
    -1 for mean spiritedness.

Whatever floats your boat!
    "mmmango!"

Good call on the smallport.
    BCWORKS

Quote Originally Posted by Jackrabbitslim View Post
    And I thought people only used them for boat anchors!
    no that's 7M's

Found this looking around...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00695.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	163.1 KB 
ID:	10520
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00697.jpg 
Views:	636 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	10521

Thread... http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/tec...ng-4age-2.html
    Last edited by REN69; 01-08-2013 at 07:05 PM.

Follow my Supra Antics on Facebook ---> HERE!

Ironically a 7M is probably a better suited boat motor.. has a broader power band and more low end torque. Using a multiple ratio transmission in a ghetto straight shaft setup is okay but not for real world boating, fishing, sport driving, etc. Props are only designed to run at a certain max speed, about 15,000 ft/min on the leading edge of the blade(dependent on the style of the prop and boat its pushing) Spinning it faster than designed results in cavitation. Spinning it slower results in very poor efficiency. Boat motors run at basically full load the entire time. Driving a boat is more comparable gearing wise, to riding a BMX uphill- all the time. Want to go faster? Increase the pitch of the prop. Prop specs for a boat are based on RPM at WOT, setting it up for third gear means it would never make it to fifth, etc.

Some industrial setups (diesels in work boats) use a large diameter prop with a higher pitch, and a 2 speed transmission for low end grunt at low prop speed and higher prop speeds for cruising, since diesels just don't rev high enough- but this is somewhat uncommon.
    Last edited by J-Min; 01-08-2013 at 07:24 PM.

In Toyota, we rust.

There is an entire racing series for boats dedicated to the 4ac.
    SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

Quote Originally Posted by J-Min View Post
    Ironically a 7M is probably a better suited boat motor.. has a broader power band and more low end torque. Using a multiple ratio transmission in a ghetto straight shaft setup is okay but not for real world boating, fishing, sport driving, etc. Props are only designed to run at a certain max speed, about 15,000 ft/min on the leading edge of the blade(dependent on the style of the prop and boat its pushing) Spinning it faster than designed results in cavitation. Spinning it slower results in very poor efficiency. Boat motors run at basically full load the entire time. Driving a boat is more comparable gearing wise, to riding a BMX uphill- all the time. Want to go faster? Increase the pitch of the prop. Prop specs for a boat are based on RPM at WOT, setting it up for third gear means it would never make it to fifth, etc.

Some industrial setups (diesels in work boats) use a large diameter prop with a higher pitch, and a 2 speed transmission for low end grunt at low prop speed and higher prop speeds for cruising, since diesels just don't rev high enough- but this is somewhat uncommon.
    Well, having more transmission ratios is never really a bad thing except for weight/cost. The efficiency of a prop depends on how fast it is turning compared to how fast it is moving forward. There is a vector sum of velocities with an angle. When this angle is too far away from the prop pitch angle, the prop works ****ty. So, with a transmission (or an engine with a flat torque curve and wide powerband), you can run a huge high ptich prop, giving you tons of pulling power when the prop has to move slow yet do a lot of work, yet still go fast as the prop can keep the ideal speed ratio with the forward motion of the boat. A narrow powerband would mean you would just need more gears. Is that necessary on a little canal boat with a 4ag? Probably not. A toyoglide would be better! :P

In airplanes and wind turbines, they fix this problem with variable pitch props rather than transmissions. Boats don't tend to be as optimized plus theres a host of issues like corrosion and prop damage where its just nice to have a chunky propellor that can take a hit rather than a complicated system of underwater linkages lol
    Last edited by Cbergerud; 01-09-2013 at 02:20 AM.

1970 KE17 Project
    1969 KE10 Slider

Quote Originally Posted by 4age-ftw View Post
    I thought id share this because it made me Lol'ed

Longtail boats in Thailand