Thread: DIY Tin Can - OIL Catch Can

DIY Tin Can - OIL Catch Can

I thought id share on how to oil catch can. This is good for motors that have lots of blow by or if your running hard alot and oil tends to get pushed out through the pcv/crank vent filling your intake manifold and oozing out through your afm. Only costs $1-2 to make if you have the materials etc, but if not it will cost around $20 for jb weld and paint. If you are lazy there is ones on ebay going for $25 which is better than this but if you are like me and like to build stuff for fun then this is for you. Only thing I didnt include to this is a fluid level indicator but can be added later on.

List of things you need:

-Can of beans or what ever
    -Alum Crank case breather pipe (around 10mm wide) from B&S lawnmower or equivalent
    -JB Weld
    -Bolt, Nut and o-ring
    -Drill with drill bits
    -Can of paint (not required through)
    -Package of steel wool

Now get your can of beans, and empty it (feed it to your dog, throw it at your sister or what ever) and clean it out real good.

Then depending on your can, you have to cut around half as long of your cans length and add another inch on the end to make it a nipple for inlet. After that make another 1" and 1/4" piece for the outlet. Now drill 2 holes, one in the center for the inlet and anywhere else on top for the outlet then jb weld both tubes and let it cure.

After curing is done, drill a hole at the bottom lip then jb weld a nut to make a drainage plug so when its full of oil, you can drain it.

The next step is get your steel wool, and fill the can half way or till it touches the inlet tube.

Last step (if your not going to paint it) is to tape your cover and then jb weld around it to seal it up, then let it cure and you got a oil catch can!

For the extra step if you want it to look pretty, mask it up and then paint it any color of your choice, red, blue, black, silver etc. I painted mine same color to hide the gray jb weld.

Then your all DONE!!!

Not bad if you have room under your hood for a can of beans...but I don't. Honest. No extra room at all.

I have some room on my fire wall so going to zip tie it there then its good to go

Hey dave maybe you can fit one of those really small tomato paste cans? Lol
    81,84,87, 88 toyota cressida, 84 bj60, 85 bj60, 86 hj60soa, 71 datsun 521 pickup

Or just do the super easy way, vent to atmosphere? lol Then as you lose oil, your car gets lighter!

Quote Originally Posted by shancerlelby View Post
    Hey dave maybe you can fit one of those really small tomato paste cans? Lol

Bahaha yes. I should do something though, lots of oil going into the intake tract.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade7 View Post
    Or just do the super easy way, vent to atmosphere? lol Then as you lose oil, your car gets lighter!
    If you watch my video, you'll know how much blow by it has. its so bad it makes the car run like crap and makes oil ooze out all over the air filter.

Thats why you vent it out, like I have a K&N filter on mine, not sure if I added pics to it in my thread... But just look crank case vent filter in google and you will see a little thing that just plugs on. Mine was pretty gummy, and then when I had the small port intake welded up, there was no longer a spot for it, so I had no choice but to vent it this way. Either way works, and I was meaning for for the type of person who has no space in there engine bay.

Meh. Buddy of mine put a bicycle bottle cage in the engine bay and used a Gatorade bottle. Easy to remove and drain.

You get points for craftsmanship that's for sure.
    - Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Blade7 View Post
    Thats why you vent it out, like I have a K&N filter on mine, not sure if I added pics to it in my thread... But just look crank case vent filter in google and you will see a little thing that just plugs on. Mine was pretty gummy, and then when I had the small port intake welded up, there was no longer a spot for it, so I had no choice but to vent it this way. Either way works, and I was meaning for for the type of person who has no space in there engine bay.
    Thanks.

tommy is offline Redneck engineer/machinist
    Venting to atmosphere is stupid. Sorry but that's what it is. Not only by uselessly throwing oil down the road for no reason but by using vaccum from the intake your actualy reduce crankcase pressure instead of loosing power by making the pistons push air out.

Your design is nice but a little crude, but hey, it works! What i would change is plumb a return line to your oil pan instead of making a drain hole so oil freely return to the sump when it gets in you catch can. Oh and I'd remove the steel wool. Does nothing real good and you don't want to suck some through your intake. Just use a separator between both IN and OUT fittibg with some holes drilled through and that'll do the job.
    TE31 1977 - 2T-B (traded)
    KE20 1974 - Destroked 7A, project "bigblock A meets peanut" Link to build thread (Sold)
    AE95 1990 - 4A-GZE daily driven wagon...

cranckcase vacum is a good thing. It promotes good ring seal and helps reduce pumping losses as mentioned. drag guys do slip cuts in the exhaust to get vaccum at high load/wot because every little bit helps with overall power.

The steel wool allows for more surface area for the oil mist/vapor to come in contact with and be collected. most high end catch cans use this and screens or chambers to help pull as much oil out as possible.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2
    1987 Corolla GTS Hatch | 1985 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1987 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1992 Tercel CE | 1992 Paseo | 2003 Corolla CE | 1974 Corolla 4 Door | 1978 Corolla Coupe | 1979 Corolla Hatch SR5 | <3||||||1990 Miata |||||| <3
    I like Toyota's wanna fight about it?

Would this work with a finer steel wool?

i wouldnt. those stainless scrubbers the op used are like a dollar.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2
    1987 Corolla GTS Hatch | 1985 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1987 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1992 Tercel CE | 1992 Paseo | 2003 Corolla CE | 1974 Corolla 4 Door | 1978 Corolla Coupe | 1979 Corolla Hatch SR5 | <3||||||1990 Miata |||||| <3
    I like Toyota's wanna fight about it?

Also, fine steel wool breaks down easily...ever rolled some between your fingers and watched the fines it produces? Great trick putting it on the back of someone's neck, itches forever....

Quote Originally Posted by jjbourne View Post
    Would this work with a finer steel wool?
    I wouldnt do that since it breaks up easiley if your planning to put it inline with the intake