Thread: HELP PLZ water pump seal 4age

HELP PLZ water pump seal 4age

im not sure if there is a thread about this because i do not understand how to use this site but anyways i have a serouse problem with the seal around my water pump it leaks so i ended up replacing it and put gasket sealer on it just to make sure it wouldent leak at all. so i started filling up my rad and topping off the levels of antifreeze and i started to see a little drip of anti freeze dripping of the bottom of the block, thinking it was just a little spill i continued to pour anti freeze into my rad as soon as i filled it up the leak that i had before came back and it was much bigger wayyyy more antifreeze was leaking out. does any one out there have good advice i am really frusterated with my self cause i cant seem to fix the problem PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

there's a o-ring between the back of the water pump and the block
    make sure you sand down both halves of the pump and get all the old gasket material off
    there's 2 o-rings on the bypass pipe
    there is a gasket at the back that connects the pipe that runs under the intake

There's also the shaft seal on the pump itself.

Use a mirror and find the leak. It's not rocket science.

The pump assembly has three gaskets and three o-rings. There's also an upper water neck gasket for a grand total of four gaskets. For the upper bypass pipe o-rings you want to carefully clean up the bore with steel wool or fine sandpaper and install those two o-rings using your spit as an assembly lubricant.

If its pouring out worse than before you worked on it, then logically it's something that you touched.
    - Brian

You replaced the pump, or just the gasket? Hopefully you replaced the pump, because if you didn't the old one is telling you something. Make sure everything is spotless and the o-rings are good on that weird little pipe that sticks out (going from hazy memory here). Throw in a new thermostat too.
    "mmmango!"

Yeah dude the pump is gone do you know of any one who is selling one, how hard are they to rebuild

Your friendly local auto parts store will have a new pump for you. They're not that expensive.

A brand new one from Toyota will come complete with the rear half and is the preferred repair if you're not broke.
    - Brian

do the toyota oem one. i work on my car on a regular basis, noticed some coolant leaking down from my w/p. replaced just the pump and gasket, put it all back together, tossed the old one away and went for a rip. then realized it was the housing oring that goes into the block not the w/p weeping. Burn on me...

the pump is cheap from lordco if you have an account to run it through. rebuilding a waterpump takes special tools that not alot of people are going to have access to. Its not like an alt or starter.

do it once do it right.
    Last edited by oldskoolcool; 01-31-2013 at 08:18 AM.
    OldSkoolCustoms

More old toyotas then common sense

I have called all the canadian tires and lordco in victoria none og them seem to have them

Whats the actual problem, the seal between the block and pump or the pump itself?

I know its far away but i know a local place that rebuilds water pump

http://www.johnstuartpowerbrake.com/

I use to work there, they do good work. They handle lots of old cars, many of their customers are from out of city or even out of province, if you call them, then mail the part to them, they will rebuild it and ship it back to you.

That being said,

I'm surprised Canadian tire cant just source the part though, theres gotta be a local rebuilder shop
    Last edited by Jehuty77; 01-31-2013 at 11:23 AM.

problems fixed i found one to buy, thank you all

i was gonna say if your lordco rep cant find it, he needs to be replaced
    OldSkoolCustoms

More old toyotas then common sense

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolcool View Post
    i was gonna say if your lordco rep cant find it, he needs to be replaced
    Haha yeah i agree no stores in victoria have them in stock its crazy