Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 53

Thread: Dual calliper/ dedicated hand brake

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Calgary/Purgatory
    Posts
    5,348
    Quote Originally Posted by 616racing View Post
    I don't quite get why you would want double calipers??? Why not just run inline master? Am I missing something??
    When you yank the ebrake it pressures the system and your brake pedal gets harder. Throws you off if you're trying to do both. It's weird.
    You can run different pads off the ebrake calipers as well. Something that locks up better than a race pad.
    It looks gangster.
    Your unsprung weight goes up making a solid rear even more useless.
    It's pointless for such a small car.


    RETIRED

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Aldergrove, BC
    Posts
    769
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    When you yank the ebrake it pressures the system and your brake pedal gets harder. Throws you off if you're trying to do both. It's weird.
    You can run different pads off the ebrake calipers as well. Something that locks up better than a race pad.
    It looks gangster.
    Your unsprung weight goes up making a solid rear even more useless.
    It's pointless for such a small car.
    LOL ok got it.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Victoria, b.c.
    Posts
    2,721
    Quote Originally Posted by 616racing View Post
    I don't quite get why you would want double calipers??? Why not just run inline master? Am I missing something??
    If the ebrake stuff ****s up then you still have regular brakes. With a hydro on the same caliper as your regular ebrake/brakes if something fails you lose all brakes. Also because Racecar.

    Quote Originally Posted by pitobread View Post
    I saw this guy eat a whole bag of Jalape?o cheezits in one sitting. After that moment I would trust him with my life.
    1982 Toyota Hilux Pickup- Daily
    1982 Toyota Corolla Wagon- Track car

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Calgary Ab
    Posts
    2,649
    Inline master will become illegal in drifting soon, as fd does not allow it. So all other organizers will follow suit.
    Because they like to use them as a model of safety and organization.

    Plus using an inline hydro, while at the same time pressing the brake pedal, you get some weird movement and the chance of locking everything up temporarily.
    A pinion ebrake would be kinda neat, but places a lot of stress on your r&p. not sure if I would do that.
    I happen to have a pair of mk4 rear calipers, and ss hoses, already

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Victoria B.C.
    Posts
    1,692
    If somebody could make a special ebrake cyl that diverted the line pressure ahead if it into something, allowing the front brakes to move, it would be better. Kind of like a hydraulic switch plus some equalizer thing to the front circuit.

    1970 KE17 Project
    1969 KE10 Slider

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Stoneham Qc
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by paulcorolla View Post
    Inline master will become illegal in drifting soon, as fd does not allow it. So all other organizers will follow suit.
    Because they like to use them as a model of safety and organization.

    Plus using an inline hydro, while at the same time pressing the brake pedal, you get some weird movement and the chance of locking everything up temporarily.
    A pinion ebrake would be kinda neat, but places a lot of stress on your r&p. not sure if I would do that.
    I happen to have a pair of mk4 rear calipers, and ss hoses, already

    it's not legal in dmcc since last year... our car didnt pass tech with inline master...

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Shemale lover
    Posts
    4,763
    Didn't see page two.

    I have pushed in our own drift league to make having a real emergency brake a must. Either two 100% separate systems. One hydrolaulic and one cable. Or two of whichever.
    BCWORKS

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Beyond the Sun
    Posts
    1,288
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    Didn't see page two.

    I have pushed in our own drift league to make having a real emergency brake a must. Either two 100% separate systems. One hydrolaulic and one cable. Or two of whichever.
    That's a great idea in terms of safety.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Shemale lover
    Posts
    4,763
    There has been a few people that have pulled their cable e brakes when they have installed an inline hydro.

    Some people have such a high attention to detail that you can't poke at the reliability of their build. But I'm sure that 1/100 willwoods master will surprise explode and cost you your brakes. Obviously there is another side to the build quality spectrum too...

    I fully back that rule.
    BCWORKS

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Victoria B.C.
    Posts
    1,692
    I don't think that really addresses the real problem that the inline acts like a line lock while engaged, and can do the same for the fronts through the tandem mc if one brakes and then pulls up on the lever.

    1970 KE17 Project
    1969 KE10 Slider

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    854
    Is there an mk4 caliper write-up on here?

    Quote Originally Posted by paulcorolla View Post
    Inline master will become illegal in drifting soon, as fd does not allow it. So all other organizers will follow suit.
    Because they like to use them as a model of safety and organization.

    Plus using an inline hydro, while at the same time pressing the brake pedal, you get some weird movement and the chance of locking everything up temporarily.
    A pinion ebrake would be kinda neat, but places a lot of stress on your r&p. not sure if I would do that.
    I happen to have a pair of mk4 rear calipers, and ss hoses, already
    1984 blacktop coupe
    1982 Corolla wagon - STOLEN

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Calgary Ab
    Posts
    2,649
    Well I have mk4 calipers and ss hoses, but I never put them on the car.
    The plan was to put them on my 86, with an inline brake bias knob to the rear brakes, and have a better cable ebrake.
    As my 86 has no functioning ebrake, front cable is broken, and both calipers have very jank, non working ebarke mechanisms.
    But I just havent gotten around to it, just got calipers and then had hoses made that go from the vw banjo bolt to the 10mm double flare on a corolla.
    the routing for the ebrake cable is what has really held me back, I just dont see a good way of mounting it.
    one day I guess.

    But, as for motorcycle brakes, I might go look this weekend, if I find some with thick rotors, I'll update.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    854
    Maybe this is relevant?

    dual caliper with two ae86 rear calipers

    http://aztoyota.org/forum/index.php?topic=500.60
    1984 blacktop coupe
    1982 Corolla wagon - STOLEN

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    2,094
    This is the aerospace components kit on a crown vic:


  15. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    victoria
    Posts
    1,417
    I think this is a great topic and is worthy of instating into "racing" rule books or the simple reason of complete brake failure.
    I've always been a fan of having the stock cable brake in working condition.
    Funny that you bring this up Paul it's something I've been thinking more and more about recently and will be high on the next to do list probably more mid season.
    I think I know what I'm leaning towards for callers also.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Calgary/Purgatory
    Posts
    5,348
    Or don't do it at all and end up with the same thing and money. Put a bigger lever on your stock setup, be done. Whatever.


    RETIRED

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by woodenturn View Post
    Maybe this is relevant?

    dual caliper with two ae86 rear calipers

    http://aztoyota.org/forum/index.php?topic=500.60
    That looks like a good idea. I wonder if cutting two sets of stock brackets and welding the opposing caliper mounting halves to each other would work.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    victoria
    Posts
    1,417
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    Or don't do it at all and end up with the same thing and money. Put a bigger lever on your stock setup, be done. Whatever.
    Been there, broke that.
    I'm sure with the perfect combination of OEM needle bearings in the calipers with non-27 year old cables, a larger size rear disc and a cold biting rear pad with non super sticky rears it would work perfect.
    Your cable setup must be the 1% that works flawlessly.
    I would mind an extra pound or two over the rear wheels anyway.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    saskatoon SK
    Posts
    732
    pinion brake would work great with any welded or lsd application

    -ground clearance would be suspect, and added weight in center of diff instead of at wheel ends.

    -braking force would be roughly double the effect of same size rotor on wheels due to diff ratio. brake rotor spins at 4x wheel speed. heat would be a factor.

    -i'm sure it would actually work great. probably isn't tunnel/floor clearance either.



    also, i would have to be the SECOND guy who has awesome oem ebrake... shrug...

    -Brett- a corolla...

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Richmond, B.C.
    Posts
    5,225
    Quote Originally Posted by 666 View Post
    I would like to do that as well.....but first I need disc's lol
    drums make the best e-brakes. If your car is just for drifting, then might as well just use drums.

    Also simply installing some really grabby pads for the rear discs can make you happy with the stock set up.
    Last edited by Rastaracer; 04-16-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •