Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adj. HKS Cam Gears x Triflow Colt Cams on a stock 4AGE on the DYNO

Adj. HKS Cam Gears x Triflow Colt Cams on a stock 4AGE on the DYNO

After setup and tuning on my F20C powered Corolla, we put my buddy's missile car on the dyno. The 4AGE has about 10,000 km on a 2 year old refresh. Bluetop.

http://www.onpointdyno.com/?p=2928&fb_source=pubv1

Initially it made a pretty healthy 94HP with the cam gears dialed to zero.

We tried a bunch of combos but -7 degrees intake and +6 degrees exhaust cam and backed the timing a bit from 17 degrees to about 15 degrees btdc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GeorgeAE86-700x466.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	11061

It's going to be different for everyone but my buddy is pretty stoked about the results!
    JOVER
    F20C Powered 1985 AE86 Corolla GT-S Coupe | 4AGE 1986 AW11 MR2 Fully Loaded! Black on black on black

$1500 for 10hp, what a deal! lol

I can't wait to build my 16v though. Hoping to get 150. Anything more will be amazing.

RETIRED

I'm glad the tune went well. Not bad for a Bluetop!

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    $1500 for 10hp, what a deal! lol

I can't wait to build my 16v though. Hoping to get 150. Anything more will be amazing.
    ^pretty much says it all. I'm doing a 16v build too, hoping for 146 whp but it's going to be the most stupid amount of $/hp I've ever spent.

I honestly do not feel any resentment about stuffing a F20C in the 86... to be fair though, the guy didn't ever spend that much.
    JOVER
    F20C Powered 1985 AE86 Corolla GT-S Coupe | 4AGE 1986 AW11 MR2 Fully Loaded! Black on black on black

Over 10% hp gain is nothing to sneeze at. Too bad its not 10% of a bigger number.

I need to make a honda B-series rwd swap kit then i'll be rich.

Reverse rotation is a PITA though.
    Last edited by clay72; 04-12-2013 at 07:43 AM.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

There is a company who makes reverse rotation rwd gearbox config. It costs a fortune. Might as well buy a nissan
    I am your 4ajesus

I don't know diddly squat about hondas, but would it be possible to turn the head around, rig the cams and get the honda motor to spin the right way?

Im surprised with those numbers.
    my stock motor with intake and 2" exhaust made 104.2 to the wheels.
    my other setup made 126.4HP 99ftlb running mad rich like cruising AFR was 12s. So with a better tune it probably could have made more ponies.
    it had HKS 272 cams, ST ITBs, vipec V44.
    Just go K series with S2 tranny. I can get a K series for free with bent valves.

^
    did you use the same dyno to get those numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    I don't know diddly squat about hondas, but would it be possible to turn the head around, rig the cams and get the honda motor to spin the right way?
    the whole crank assembly spins backwards until the k series. means if you somehow fit a b18 in a rwd set up, and mated a w58 or any rwd tranny, first gear would take you backwards
    Last edited by Duy-; 04-12-2013 at 08:40 AM.

yah, I'm thinking that the only reason the crank spins backwards though is because the starter turns it that way, and the cams are ground so that it has to run in that direction.

It's my thought that if you turned the head around on the block the cams could be made to spin in their original direction with respect to the head by making the crank spin backwards. (edit: also turn the pistons around otherwise the valve reliefs wont match)

edit: maybe a dumber idea than i thought, the oil pump is driven off the crank in most models according to a google image search... you'ld need to dry sump it or seriously ghetto rig it to get any oil pressure I'm thinking.

other, somewhat different idea:
    using the 7.5" rear end with a toyota 7.5" front axle 3rd member - or maybe even the whole axle if the diff is centred... that may make the car go forward, but the transmission may not like spinning backwards (thrust loads would be opposite, you'd have to ensure the tranny is built to handle extreme deceleration loading)
    Last edited by Sparkie; 04-12-2013 at 09:01 AM. Reason: making more awesome

[QUOTE=Duy-;442738]^
    did you use the same dyno to get those numbers?

Yes. Both dyno jet

that seems like quite a bit of money though
    600$ hks cams
    200$ itbs
    700$ for vipec?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    yah, I'm thinking that the only reason the crank spins backwards though is because the starter turns it that way, and the cams are ground so that it has to run in that direction.

It's my thought that if you turned the head around on the block the cams could be made to spin in their original direction with respect to the head by making the crank spin backwards. (edit: also turn the pistons around otherwise the valve reliefs wont match)

edit: maybe a dumber idea than i thought, the oil pump is driven off the crank in most models according to a google image search... you'ld need to dry sump it or seriously ghetto rig it to get any oil pressure I'm thinking.

other, somewhat different idea:
    using the 7.5" rear end with a toyota 7.5" front axle 3rd member - or maybe even the whole axle if the diff is centred... that may make the car go forward, but the transmission may not like spinning backwards (thrust loads would be opposite, you'd have to ensure the tranny is built to handle extreme deceleration loading)

I think a back-to-front body swap would make more sense, and you'd have rear steering for added fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Duy- View Post
    that seems like quite a bit of money though
    600$ hks cams
    200$ itbs
    700$ for vipec?
    More like $1500 for vipec V44 lol
    I bought entire setup with a tranny and spare motor. So I was happy. ha no problems keeping ip and passing blacktop 20Vs and ****. Decided if I wanted more power, I needed high comp pistons and change final gear. So said **** it, and went with beams.

lol "rotundus" on the board made 127 whp with a 20v blacktop on limp mode. dynojet corrected numbers.

curious how much power your beams put to the wheels, do you have any of your dynograph to share?

lol "rotundus" on the board made 127 whp with a 20v blacktop on limp mode. dynojet corrected numbers.

curious how much power your beams put to the wheels, do you have any of your dynograph to share?
    I will this summer. I just street tuned it last year. I need to fix my fuel setup. I wasn't running a regulator lol. I should have numbers posted up by June in my build thread.

Quote Originally Posted by bcae92 View Post
    I think a back-to-front body swap would make more sense, and you'd have rear steering for added fun.
    or you could just turn the axle upside down and re-weld all the link mounts. That would lack the practicality of a front/back swap, but avoids pesky forklift steering!

also, apologies for threadjacking with this one.

F20C I do have it going for 210 RWHP

Beams on its own should manage a 170-180 on the wheels seeing that it's rated 30-40 less from factory.

Quote Originally Posted by JOshua a View Post
    Im surprised with those numbers.
    my stock motor with intake and 2" exhaust made 104.2 to the wheels.
    my other setup made 126.4HP 99ftlb running mad rich like cruising AFR was 12s. So with a better tune it probably could have made more ponies.
    it had HKS 272 cams, ST ITBs, vipec V44.
    Just go K series with S2 tranny. I can get a K series for free with bent valves.
    That's a healthy 4AG! I'm sure there is more ponies that can be found with more tuning. George's time on the dyno was restricted and by the last run the transmission had puked the trans fluid onto the floor. I bet the biggest differences is in the hardware you were running.
    JOVER