Thread: AE86 is trolling me

AE86 is trolling me

Recently purchased 85 GTS coupe. Had a blown engine, replaced it.

Ran fine until last week it suddenly was hard to start when cold. Would only fire if you held the gas pedal down when cranking. Other than that it ran fine.

Today it started to stumble on the highway, misfiring really badly. Check engine light came on. Pulled over and tried to diagnose it, but it kept giving me the all clear code.

Here's where it gets weird: When you turn the key off and then on while running diagnostic, sometimes the CEL doesn't come on at all, or flashes super quickly and totally at random.
    (IE: 7 flashes in one second)

I turned around and the car ran fine all the way home, with CEL coming on once in a while, and then turning off. Tried diagnostic again when I parked and the same thing, totally random nonsense.

I've ruled out fueling, it's an ignition problem.. Are these symptoms of a dying ignitor, or perhaps coil? It has fresh plugs, wires, cap/rotor, timing set.

CEL coming on while cruising but not showing a code while stopped and checking is usually indicative of a bad o2 sensor on these engines
    Owned too many different modified toyotas to list LOL

Yeah that was my thought as well, but it has a new 02 sensor, and running w/o one shouldn't cause the car to run that poorly...right?

intermittent MAF signal?
    If there's one thing I've learned from the first two thirds of the MC Hammer Biography, it's that money never runs out.

Water in the gas? Sometimes its the simple things. It doesn't really answer to all the symptoms though. Coolant temp sensor could be bad, it and the maf have the biggest impact on fuelling. Maybe temporary out of range readings are throwing the light on but not storing a code?

1970 KE17 Project
    1969 KE10 Slider

Check your maf, I opened mine and gave it a clean. The motor ran way better at idle and midrange. Maf is 26 years old
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 3" turboback Stage 2 Daily
    1985 Corolla GTS Beater drifter with trd 2 way lsd etc
    1987 Corolla GTS in storage
    Follow my Instagram @tincanturbo for random car stuff

Ok. I'll check the ecu coolant temp sensor, and the AFM. I was thinking perhaps AFM as well.

Thing is, it's broken down like 300 km away. So I'm putting parts in a bin to take up there, haha.

well since we're just guessing, I'll throw bad injectors out there

I cleaned and sorta 'bench tested' about 10 injectors, and then chose the best 4, installed with fresh o rings etc. New fuel pump, wiring, lines, filter as well.

It's got an MSD blaster 2 coil. Maybe that has crapped out. Nobody has any insight to what's going on with the CEL ? It's totally erratic and random flashing, or either a solid, or not on at all. (When in diagnostic mode)

Can you get a code out of it? I put my flash code on a toggle haha, just flip it and start reading the number of flashes. Once I had a similar prob, turned out it was just low coolant. I've also melted off an o2 wire.
    "mmmango!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dugwillis View Post
    Nobody has any insight to what's going on with the CEL ? It's totally erratic and random flashing, or either a solid, or not on at all. (When in diagnostic mode)
    Could water have gotten at the PCM? poor connections would cause all sorts of injection and ignition trouble, and maybe the connection to the CEL is corroded as well?

i was thinking o2 wiring from the start, they get pretty hot and brittle. i think spencer may win the prize on this one. maybe throw a multimeter in that parts box when you go to retrieve it.
    Quote Originally Posted by b-rock View Post
    -1 for mean spiritedness.

maybe try a different ecu? see if problems persist with a different one
    Last edited by YYZ78; 05-12-2013 at 10:50 AM.
    1979 Cressida JZX3 VVTi

2econd Heart Garage

I was having a problem where my engine took forever to start up when it was cold, and when it started it would run all bogged down and rough for a few seconds then go right back to running normally. I changed my MAF and air filter this week and the problem is gone, also pulls better. Give your MAF a clean

I'm back at home after a failed attempt to rescue the car.

I went up with a shiz load of parts and just started changing things out as I couldn't find my multimeter at home. New 02 sensor, afm, igniter, coil, injector resistor box, cleaned all the grounds, bla bla. Same problem persists, doesn't want to start unless it's like the 5th attempt at WOT. Absolutely will not start unless WOT. Once it's running it's heinous... then for some reason will run just fine, then stumbles and dies.

After some hard hard thinking I realize this is the same problem the car had before I swapped the engine out. Which means the problem is in the wiring or something to do with the CAR not the ENGINE. (Yes the previous engine had a blown ring and burned TONS of oil, but the dead ring wasn't the main reason it was running so poorly).

When I first put the 'new' engine in and tried to start it, the starter stayed on. I unplugged the Cold start injector plug and that problem went away. (Read that tip on here before). After that the car ran fine, for about 1000 km. One day it was harder to start, and felt really low on power/stumbly.

Some people are wondering if the C.S.I is flooding the engine? I know it's running really rich. So perhaps the thing is stuck open. I finally got the car to display a code...
    Code 11: Either A/C switch problem, or IDL points in the TPS are off. When I unplug the TPS it doesn't affect the way the car runs.. still doesn't want to run period.

I've spent way more time working on this car than driving it. This sucks.

http://s113.photobucket.com/user/dug...BE9BF.mp4.html

1987 Corolla GTS Hatch | 1985 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1987 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1992 Tercel CE | 1992 Paseo | 2003 Corolla CE | 1974 Corolla 4 Door | 1978 Corolla Coupe | 1979 Corolla Hatch SR5 | <3||||||1990 Miata |||||| <3
    I like Toyota's wanna fight about it?

D'oh.. i'm posting in too many forums.. mods can delete i guess.. losing my MIND OVER THIS THING haha