Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: TRD suspension setup

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Surrey BC
    Posts
    269

    TRD suspension setup

    Hello everyone,

    My corolla gt-s is sitting on stock suspension atm and trying to keep the car a "toyota" and also lowering it, I decided to go with trd suspension items.

    I have found some trd shocks on rhdjapan.com as follows: (Is that a good price? (just a side question lol))
    http://www.rhdjapan.com/trd-4-way-ad...e85-ae86-62102
    http://www.rhdjapan.com/trd-8-way-ad...e85-ae86-62803

    I also found some trd springs as follows:
    http://www.rhdjapan.com/trd-racing-s...e85-ae86-65771

    It says they are "racing" springs. I will be using the car for daily driving only. No racing. So i'm not sure if that is what I need to get. Again, I want to lower the car as well so I'm not sure if those are "lowering" springs. The main thing I'm looking for is durability i.e. I don't need high maintenance parts.

    Please advise. Thank you.
    Last edited by Space; 06-03-2013 at 03:44 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    2,984
    you're going to be immensely limited to what you can get if you wanted to go with Toyota parts only. just because the car uses stance coilovers or agx or koni suspension doesn't make it less Toyota. this feels like it's going to be a long thread so lets start with what you're looking for

    lower ride? how much lower?
    lowering for looks or performance?
    daily driven preferring something on the soft side or stiff?

    I've had trds, they were good until the blew but I would never pay full retail for them, I would put that money to my current shock of choice: koni

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kumamoto Japan
    Posts
    2,515
    Aren't TRD struts and shocks made by Tokyco anyways? I would agree with Duy for sure, aftermarket suspension is the way to go! If you want it Toyota and aren't racing it, just cut the springs!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Surrey BC
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by Duy- View Post
    you're going to be immensely limited to what you can get if you wanted to go with Toyota parts only. just because the car uses stance coilovers or agx or koni suspension doesn't make it less Toyota. this feels like it's going to be a long thread so lets start with what you're looking for

    lower ride? how much lower?
    lowering for looks or performance?
    daily driven preferring something on the soft side or stiff?

    I've had trds, they were good until the blew but I would never pay full retail for them, I would put that money to my current shock of choice: koni
    On stock suspension, my corolla looks like a 4x4. lower as in uh..http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-yx60MtptaW..._0/s1600/1.JPG
    lol.
    Not going for looks. I'm driving the car pretty much all day so I have way too much body roll on corners which is why I will also be getting some sway bars.
    I don't mind how stiff the ride is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blade7 View Post
    Aren't TRD struts and shocks made by Tokyco anyways? I would agree with Duy for sure, aftermarket suspension is the way to go! If you want it Toyota and aren't racing it, just cut the springs!
    Cutting the springs is like disrespecting the car for me. .-.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Calgary Ab
    Posts
    2,649
    If you are driving all.day every day, TRD race will not be fun

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    1,346
    Quote Originally Posted by Space View Post

    Cutting the springs is like disrespecting the car for me. .-.
    Really dude, I think that might be the single lamest post I've ever read on here...you rocking snowflakes too? You should just take your car to the Toyota dealership and get them to install new everything... Every bushing, ball joint, brake pad, air filter, exhaust....then get them to paint that cool Japanese tofu logo on the side. Then you can have my motley crue, too fast for love cassette and blare that from the stock radio... And pretend it's 1986. Because only Toyota ever made"real" "good" parts for these cars... Trust me it'll be worth it.

    Get your head out of the anime son.
    Quote Originally Posted by b-rock View Post
    -1 for mean spiritedness.

  7. #7
    narfy's Avatar
    narfy is offline gigidy gigidy... ooo right!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Regency Toyota
    Posts
    9,438
    in the past, i've run 6kg front and 3.9kg rear TRD race springs. due to price, replacement difficulty, lack of durability and warranty, i'd probably never go with TRD shocks. if i were to do one again, i'd go with koni short strokes... 8610-1437race and camaro rears... high adjustability, great durability, great damping and probably the smoothest, most fluid shock absorber you will ever drive...

    i would have the front strut casings shortened ABOVE teh spring perch (AMT can do this) and have spacers made (AMT can do this as well) so that the strut sits perfectly placed within the casing so that the spring does not fall off the perch when the car is lifted...

    good luck...
    VZN185 - 32" BFG AT, OME suspension, ARB bumper, lightforce lights, TRD trans cooler, TRD exhaust, AMT sliders, budbuilt plates...
    ZN6 - stock with HIDs and LEDs...
    fng@regencyauto.com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Calgary Ab
    Posts
    2,649
    I would suggest finding someone local to you with a stiff suspension set up and going for a ride in their car.
    There are many different TRD spring rates.
    TRD street
    TRD USA
    TRD race 8,6,5? Front (there may be more I'm going by memory)
    TRD race 3.9, 4, 5, 6, 6.5, 7 rear (as above, just the rates I remember)
    Plus a few different TRD shocks.
    Most TRD shocks are tokico, and as such don't have the best reliability,
    There are a billion combos, and also more and more parts and mods to add as you lower,
    If you want it to be a good ride for daily, just a bit lower, eibach pro kit, and some kyb blue shocks, with sway bars would be a good starting point.
    With the stiffer springs there is little need for sway bars, and lots of people completely remove the rear bar.
    There is lots of info in these forums, search research and learn from the vast experience of dorikaze members

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    v isl
    Posts
    4,649
    RHD japan's shipping has become so expensive it's a huge waste of time to order anything on there.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Posts
    2,491
    Go eibach, my buddy owns a set if your interested.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Surrey BC
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrabbitslim View Post
    Really dude, I think that might be the single lamest post I've ever read on here...you rocking snowflakes too? You should just take your car to the Toyota dealership and get them to install new everything... Every bushing, ball joint, brake pad, air filter, exhaust....then get them to paint that cool Japanese tofu logo on the side. Then you can have my motley crue, too fast for love cassette and blare that from the stock radio... And pretend it's 1986. Because only Toyota ever made"real" "good" parts for these cars... Trust me it'll be worth it.

    Get your head out of the anime son.
    Sorry, But I think you're the one who needs to get your head out of this thread. I never said Toyota made the best parts. Never even mentioned "anime" except to show how low I wanted my car to be as that was the best example I could find. IF you knew how to read a goddamn thread, you would understand that I am asking where I can find the TRD springs. I appretiate other people mentioning other brands but what I really asked was where I can find TRD springs. Your post is the most irrelevant here.

    If you're not going to help, why even bother wasting your time? Everyone has their own opinions about their cars. You want to beat up your car. I want to love my car. Problem?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Posts
    977
    +1

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Surrey BC
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by paulcorolla View Post
    I would suggest finding someone local to you with a stiff suspension set up and going for a ride in their car.
    There are many different TRD spring rates.
    TRD street
    TRD USA
    TRD race 8,6,5? Front (there may be more I'm going by memory)
    TRD race 3.9, 4, 5, 6, 6.5, 7 rear (as above, just the rates I remember)
    Plus a few different TRD shocks.
    Most TRD shocks are tokico, and as such don't have the best reliability,
    There are a billion combos, and also more and more parts and mods to add as you lower,
    If you want it to be a good ride for daily, just a bit lower, eibach pro kit, and some kyb blue shocks, with sway bars would be a good starting point.
    With the stiffer springs there is little need for sway bars, and lots of people completely remove the rear bar.
    There is lots of info in these forums, search research and learn from the vast experience of dorikaze members
    I have done some research but I can't seem to find the street springs from trd that you mentioned. Any ideas?

    Are there any places other than rhdjapan.com where I can find trd shocks and "street' springs?

    Thank you for all your input.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    2,984
    they're basically Eibachs prokits

    Trd USA?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    403
    PRAISE THE LOWERED!......Hallelujah!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Surrey BC
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by Duy- View Post
    they're basically Eibachs prokits

    Trd USA?
    USA, Japan. Whichever one still makes it? Pretty sure america doesn't make them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Prodah-G View Post
    PRAISE THE LOWERED!......Hallelujah!
    lol

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Calgary Ab
    Posts
    2,649
    Ya just get some eibach pro kit.
    Jeff Lange got some proper trd Japan street springs years ago.
    He is the oem, all oem all the time.
    I don't know if they can still be ordered.
    You have to be pretty resourceful to get some of these parts.
    Especially the less than mainstream spring rates.
    The 8/6kgmm standard of drift is pretty easy to get, but the softer springs are not marketed by the same dealers as they are not be top seller.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    1,346
    Quote Originally Posted by Space View Post
    Sorry, But I think you're the one who needs to get your head out of this thread. I never said Toyota made the best parts. Never even mentioned "anime" except to show how low I wanted my car to be as that was the best example I could find. IF you knew how to read a goddamn thread, you would understand that I am asking where I can find the TRD springs. I appretiate other people mentioning other brands but what I really asked was where I can find TRD springs. Your post is the most irrelevant here.

    If you're not going to help, why even bother wasting your time? Everyone has their own opinions about their cars. You want to beat up yourl car. I want to love my car. Problem?
    Yup.
    You told us you're not going for looks then showed us a picture of how low you want to go in the quite simply the cheesiest, played out, fan boi way possible... Never once mentioning a spring rate or a descriptive word defining the type of ride you want accept to say that you don't mind stiff.... You also say that you want trd only even after it's pointed out to you that other companies actually make the trd suspension parts. Seems like you're the one with the reading problem, or at the very least a comprehension problem. You also say that cutting your springs is disrespectful to the car... So in your eyes guys like tsuchiya were disrespecting their cars when they cut the springs... And I have apparently beat mine up by cutting the springs. That sounds so misinformed and unlearned that it's comical to me. I hope you enjoy your eibach pro kit trdfanboi... But I hope you enjoy cutting at least the rears when you find you're still no where close to the pictured car. But the funniest thing about this you could have all of this information with a simple search of this site or many others... Thanks for wasting everyone's time.... I can't wait to beat on my car when I get home.
    Quote Originally Posted by b-rock View Post
    -1 for mean spiritedness.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Posts
    977
    -1 for mean spiritedness.
    Last edited by b-rock; 06-03-2013 at 02:54 PM.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    5,277
    For what it's worth, nobody else makes the exact part TRD Japan sells. Sure TRD has other companies make their parts for them, but you're not going to buy the exact same part from anyone else (TRD USA excluded). KYB makes TRD Japan's shocks. (TRD Japan / Toyota Technocraft is basically the same as factory parts as far as quality and specifications go, meaning they typically have the company in Japan that made the original part for the car make a version to a different specification or similar. It's essentially a "factory" performance part, versus TRD USA which is known for rebranding other aftermarket accessories with the TRD logo.)

    Still, I'm not sure if TRD suspension is what you're looking for. Can you give us an idea of what kind of driving you want to do, and what kind of ride quality you're looking to get? The TRD Street suspension drives very nice, but is probably not stiff enough for what you are looking to get. TRD Race stuff is probably better, but getting harder and harder to find, it might be easier to find something more available unless you have a specific reason to want TRD parts.

    Jeff

    2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •