Thread: Machinists in vancouver?

Machinists in vancouver?

I'm trying to find someone locally, a friend or forum member who is a machinist who can help me with a small project. I've asked around a few places, all have gave me the run around saying they charge a minimum 1H shop rate.

Problem is that I only need about 3 minutes of maching done. He'll I'd do it myself If I had access to a lathe. I need to skim a trans adapter plate down by .125"

Anyone know someone who would do simple stuff like this for beer, etc? Good karma for all!

In Toyota, we rust.

Adapter plate on a lathe? That sounds a little dangerous. I have access to both a mill and a lathe but dont have much time to get out to the shop. Ill see if I cant find out if my old man has time to do it for you if you cant find someone else

Not dangerous at all. Its a circular steel plate with a locating ring welded to it. I need the ring decked down to work with my clutch combo. It should fit in a 3 jaw chuck providing your lathe has a large enough swing radius.

In Toyota, we rust.

adamturbo?

Too bad you're so far away

I should ask adam yah, its literally a 2 minute job. Anyone have his contact info?

In Toyota, we rust.

Amt 604 251-3301

Quote Originally Posted by J-Min View Post
    its literally a 2 minute job
    Including set up time?

totally not a 2 min job

what diameter?

My uncle owns a machine shop in Burnaby, High Performance Engines, could try calling him or stopping by the shop if all else fails.

The reason it's not a 2 minute job is because most shops will have something in the lathe already...worst case is remove that job and set up for yours. So a few minutes for that plus a few to change chucks, a few to dial up your piece, a few to remove it and reset for the first job, not to mention dealing with customers. Pretty soon 30-40 minutes has passed, time that could be billed at shop rate. That's just how it goes, I've been the guy on the floor and I've been foreman.

I know all of this. My point is that I could do it in a few minutes on a lathe if I had access to one. Maybe 10 min start to finish assuming a 3 jaw Chuck is already installed And the correct bit is on. It doesnt need to be super dialed or concentric in a 4 jaw chuck. I just need a rough surface skimmed lol. Plate is maybe 10" dia. Ring that I need cut down is like 3.5" id by 4"od. Maybe 3/4" thick and needs to be cut down by roughly 1/8". Its just frustrating knowing such a simple job would end up being so expensive. I guess I'm just used to the shop where I worked previously that did alot of this kind of stufd and was already setup for surfacing plates and sizing large bearings.
    Last edited by J-Min; 08-22-2013 at 03:35 PM.

In Toyota, we rust.

If it needs to be done with very little precision, why not take an angry grinder to it with a coarse flap wheel? Wrap it in tape and mark how much you need to take off, then grind away. Any fine tuning could be done with a single cut file.

Failing that, phone Adam and get it done by him. He charges for the amount of time spent on the piece, so it could be very inexpensive (i think his hourly rate was $65 the last time he did work for me).