Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vancouver workshop gauging interest

Vancouver workshop gauging interest

Just seeing if this is something you vancouver locals would be interested in? A large commercial space for use to work on your cars. Open most times of night and day and in commercial zone for late night noise not being a problem. Likely equipped with air tools and jacks and stands, possibly a hoist, likely other tools as well. Probably no paint booth, but if its a real hot topic it may be incorporated. Usage by donation. Yea or nae?

something like this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 3.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	333.9 KB 
ID:	11934

light duty mig welder in the mix.. possibly a tig. a floor press could be had as well.

God damn it, I wanna move to Vancouver that's such a sick idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by Duy- View Post
    watcha doing neighbour?
    puttin speed holes in my car

actually i was planning to do this either in Van or Calgary, im undecided still.. know good people in calg but van has that weather..

Yeah that weather is nice there, however our cold weather in the winter and just ****ty weather all year round it seems like builds character haha, if you bring it here I am completely down as I currently have no place to work on my car, I do what work I can either in the parking lot at school on lunch or at home on my back street and I have friends who do not own corollas but would probably love the idea also.
    watcha doing neighbour?

I was just about to post a thread on here to see if anyone had a garage that I could possible start my own build at but if you do this then no need! So I am all for it!
    watcha doing neighbour?

This sounds like a cool idea, I'm down for it but it would also depend on the donation rate.
    '80 MX32 sedan |'83 AE71 wagon |'84 AE86 hatch
    '85 AE86 coupe |'86 AE86 hatch |'86 AE86 coupe
    '88 MR2 S/C |'86 S12 hatch |'88 Silvia K's
    '91 Z30 Soarer '92 JZS147 Aristo |'92 S13 coupe
    '93 R33 Skyline |'98 S14 kouki

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    Is dyno like 200 for the hp if mustang shifts but 300 if corolla shifts?

The quickest way to hate a friend is to share shop space. Just keep everyone's tools seperate and locked.
    BCWORKS

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    The quickest way to hate a friend is to share shop space. Just keep everyone's tools seperate and locked.
    100% qft. I used to have my shop available for friends to use but got so frustrated that I filled it with my own crap so nobody would ask to use it. Tools taken, trash left lying around, oil etc on the floor, one guy in particular had his isuzu trooper sitting there for a couple of months...such a headache. Unless the person who owns the shop uses it to make money as a business and rents the other bays out for a set amount, it won't work for long.

really cool idea if it was financially viable to cover the rent on the space. I would use it for sure.

Depends on the cost, and I've been thinking about the same thing for a while now.

i'd also be down depending on the price

BTW not sure if you are looking at this from a "club" POV or a business. But I did hear of an East Van motorcycle shop that essentially "rents" bay and tool time while running a full service repair shop. So it's essentially a DIY spot with mechanical help. Don't recall the name off hand.

Wouldn't that be kind of hard to do with insurance and liability? Having strangers just "drop in" to work on their car without knowing anything about their experience level or safety standards?

We have that in Calgary - it's called U-Wrench. Very good stuff.
    AE86 | Tacoma X-Runner
    4AGE 20V | 1GR-FE

well it's not the first time i've considered doing this and i have the appropriate paperwork in hand as far as liability goes. it wouldn't be a business but more of a way to subsidize to the cost of the shop. that being said there are people who posses certain talents and should you choose to have me build your exhaust system for an agreed upon rate well that would be great, or if someone is an alignment guy well we'd all get along dandy.

hey what do you guys who go through a lot of tires do for mounting and balancing? Hit up a tire shop im guessing? do you balance your drift spares?

and u-wrench is awesome, but its a little more involved than im thinking, although you never know where things could go

My thoughts are that as much as this is a great idea. You either have to do a key program or have someone that goes there everytime someone needs to use a hoist or a space to work on a car. That being said I know my old man will rent a hoist to people for 40 an hour 60 if you want his advice. Im able to let people use a 2 post hoist for that amount on days im going to my shop. Also alignments look to this guy mostly do after hours/weekends. Also I do tires mount and balance if you guys need. Not trying to whore up the thread just putting myself out there and trying to help give cheaper options for us cheap corolla owners

Great idea and I hope it works out for those people getting involved.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 2

In a perfect world, I like the idea.

In reality, its going to suck hard.

Common sense and manners are simply too random and rare, things WILL get broken, tools WILL go missing or be swapped about etc. Someones "weekend" job will turn into 2 months of a car torn apart in the middle of the shop. People will start grinding, cutting, or worse, sanding bondo in one corner while someone else is trying to put a motor together in the other corner..

I've done this twice. The first time was kind've a cluster ****... The second time has been fine.

Find some space with one or two people you trust completely.. Set out the rules right off the start on usage of consumables, cleanliness, tool storage etc.. and then enjoy gettin to **** around with cars with a couple buddies around.

Anything more is a recipe for disaster.

Brett
    '87 AE86 - GTSR5 - Daily Driver
    '72 RA21 Celica - 'Ill build it one day'
    '73 RN27 Hilux - Restomod in progress
    '80 MX32 Cressida - Next in the project queue
    '91 SV25 Camry All-Trac - Winter DD