Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beams or 4agte?

Beams or 4agte?

Hey so ive been getting everything ready for a swap but havent decieded on the engine. I like the idea of having a stock beams over a 4agte but i already have most of the parts for it.
    And since im putting a full ae86 front end into the car the bluetop would bolt in for the most part. Then i could swap in a 4agte later.

Or is it worth it to just set everything up for the beams right away?

Beans, they're yummy.

no really, do BEAMS... just ask Josh, lol.

Follow my Supra Antics on Facebook ---> HERE!

BEams. So sick of turbo fussyness.
    I am your 4ajesus

Warrens 4agte seems way more potent that any beams corolla I've seen.

beams turbo. done deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Shooter View Post
    Sometimes I let my catnip hang out of my fly. They always go for it.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

White AE86 -1987 - My Daily
    Phase I
    Exterior - Mostly Complete 90%?
    Interior - Cleaned up and together.
    Engine - Drives well, needs power though..

1UUUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I mean, it just had to be said.

4A-GTE will require less chassis modification - Josh has his subframe lowered n inches, where n is a really bad number, then had to have a custom oil pan made because the beams factory pan was playing raccoon catcher and road resurfacer.

Josh, weigh in on this one! I know your car is siiiiiiiick, but this gentleman needs to know what he's getting into with the beams.

Lowering the subframe is out of the question. I really want to avoid that. And ive been reading about 1uz's and i see alot of people have a problen cooling them. This would be going in my te so it would have to fit in there. But 1uz is not out of the question either i actually already have one sitting in my buddies garage. And if i do 1uz i would do a cage right away. Dont really feel like twisting a chassis.

4agte you need a better diff and tranny depending on how much power you want to run. Beams you don't need to upgrade the diff. At least for mine I don't, and I clutch kick 4th with stock diff and it takes it. Beams no doubt is expensive. But 200hp NA sounds so good. Plus it's reliable compared to boosted setups.
    P.S you need to lower crossmember. Or else you need to cut your tranny tunnel, and possibly hood. Assassin10000 on the boards had to cut the fins out of his hood.
    I lowered my crossmember a inch and a quarter. I got 50mm RCA's plus my beefy T3 knuckles and my suspension geometry is good. No under steering at all!

Quote Originally Posted by JOshua a View Post
    I lowered my crossmember a inch and a quarter.
    Next time, take it to the butcher shop! we'll get that crossmember out of the way for you without any lowering

[QUOTE=Sparkie;453867]Next time, take it to the butcher shop! we'll get that crossmember out of the way for you without any lowering

Problem is my motor is so damn tall. I would have to cut up my tranny tunnel, and if I raised my motor any higher my stacks would hit my hood lol

the 1uz fits a lot nicer in e7 compared to the ae86 just so you know

1UZ into corolla isn't too hard. Requires trans tunnnel mods, switch to R&P steering, and about 3/4 inch subframe drop to get it under the hood. Obviously some modification of the exhaust manis too.

And a bigger rear end.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Pauls BEAMs corolla is pretty sweet, but it's also running standalone, nice filters, custom header etc. I think a 4agte would be easier to find parts for which almost seals the deal completely for me....and turbo motors have more room for HP improvement/change on the cheap. You're kind of stuck with what you have, if you go BEAMS. Same thing with 1uz.

In Toyota, we rust.

If you have the money it's just high rpm noise box or torque. You don't get both.

Smallport turbo with a 2560rs at 12psi gets you 200whp and over 160ftlbs from 4-8000rpm.

Beams will get you 190whp at redline on stock ecu. Anyone have realistic torque figures?
    BCWORKS

130-140 tq

I think we should make an official beams thread maybe.
    It is a large motor, very tall, and the bell housing is also large compared to a t50 or even w58

I haven't tried to put one in an 86, but in the mango it absolutely would not fit without either removing the front sway bar and moving the radiator forward, or cutting firewall and tunnel.
    The oil pan is also very deep, the motor can be placed pretty low once some trimming has been done to the aluminum part of the oilpan. But then the front tin section of the pan is very low

I looked at the stock wiring for a bit, downloaded diagrams, ect
    Most of the used engines I've seen have cut harness even when the advert says uncut harness, and are usually missing the map sensor and airbox.

The options are getting better for standalone systems that can control dual vvti, aem, vipec, and adaptronic can all handle it easy. I hope mega squirt can soon too.

I could go on and on, beams is awesome! And has more than enough power for a very fun 86
    But it is expensive to get running and fit into the car.
    Little things like return less fuel system, require a solution

The fuel system is easy. I put a return line into the fuel rail and used an outboard pressure reg. the fuel rail has plenty of spots to install a return line, there's m10 plugs to do just that.

Wiring diagram isn't too bad, the harness on mine wasn't cut because the ecu sits up in front of the engine. They often just unplug that thing.
    - Brian

When properly installed a BEAMS powered corolla is super nice to drive. It is a quiet engine that anybody can get into and drive to the store without getting a pre flight check list like some clunky beater or race car.

What are your goals? Street car or race car? Sweet car or beater car?

And what chassis are we talking about?
    - Brian

Curious about a previous post... Why consider turbo Beams when you could just use a 3SGTE? I know it wasn't really put out there, but I would think it would be a little easier option for the turbo idea, just find the 6 speed trans from a beams!

Warren posted the numbers. End thread?