Page 1 of 10 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Funny adventures in electrical engineering

Funny adventures in electrical engineering

I wrote an assembly program to read the program out of the AE86 bluetop ECU. After assembling the program I took a look at the bytecode output, and the VERY FIRST instruction is [drumroll]

0x86

that made me happy. Those of you who really like to nerd it up will be pleased to learn that 0x86 is the immediate incarnation of "ldaa" for the HD6301/HD6303.

visean is offline Yo, troubled night in the John
    Cool!

So... now what?
    Bryan
    DK Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Old 'Rollas View Post
    So... now what?
    that's why this one is in off topic - less commitment to detail
    after that post i made an eprom eraser out of a UVC air purifier from canadian tire (works awesome) programmed an eprom and began wiring the d151801 from the bluetop pcm to the eprom. the problem is there's 16 address lines, 8 data lines and 3 control lines I have to plumb from one side of my breadboard to the other, then pray to whoever listens that none of those connections are ****ty. hopefully tonight I'll get that done and start pulling data from the UART, then onto disassembly, map identification and capability assessment. after that I can make a piggyback board with some flash and maybe ram too and you can get tuning options, but they wont ever be as good as something like a dedicated standalone.

Want my spare small port ECU to play with? It may have one bad connection, but someone tried to fix it. I have no problem being a test car! Besides, who even has an blue top in their car now a days?

small port might be a later toshiba 8x processor, completely different, and part of stage 2 of my project. I've got pcm's for the 3s-ge, the 1uz-fe and the 4a blacktop of which the last 2 i know are the toshiba 8x (less documented).

I'm starting small with the bluetop because the pcm's are free-er than dirt and the ecu is easy to work with, and aside from the pinout everything else is going to be transferable. eventually id like to be able to tweak the blacktop/silvertop/uz pcms to sing and dance and play trombone.

though you bring up an interesting point, who has a bluetop in their car anymore... eventually i'd need a lab rat to help me test some mods, maybe make a few extra ponies with fuel and timing. or change fuel cut to ignition cut so it shoots fire at redline.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    or change fuel cut to ignition cut so it shoots fire at redline.
    Mr. E still has a bluetop and might be a little interested in something like that lol
    I hate Corollas but I don't think I can do better with anything else

just 'cause this thread got some attention, here's a progress update: all the chip enable and logic plumbing hooked up, now for the muxed address/data bus:

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    just 'cause this thread got some attention, here's a progress update: all the chip enable and logic plumbing hooked up, now for the muxed address/data bus:
    looks awesome, you might wanna look at those instant touch solder guns, so you don't burn the board as much. Looks sweet, great work. I'd hook up a Bluetooth adapter they're super easy to wire in and you can update without plug np. There is a couple good DIY on the MS website.

Quote Originally Posted by woodenturn View Post
    DK should ban such nonsense. 2 cents~ sr86 www.dorikaze.net/showthread.php?32933-Elizabeth

This is cool.

I have no idea how to do any of what you are doing.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Quote Originally Posted by LastLatvian View Post
    looks awesome, you might wanna look at those instant touch solder guns, so you don't burn the board as much.
    That burn mark was a MOSFET explosion from a digital amp project. the whole board is jankey from years of abuse, but it's my widest one, and i need the width to hook up so many ICs.

and as for knowing how to do what I do, well I'd hope 9 years of post secondary education is good for something, not to mention being a nerd (read: virgin) straight through high school. So my loss (or lack thereof ) is your gain, I GIVE YOU SCIENCE! data/address bus is hooked up, verifying timing now.

HAPPY UPDATE!!!

I've trapped the processor in an infinite loop, meaning there's a bug in my code, meaning it's actually executing my code !!!

Super happy update: I have successfully read out the code from the micro, and disassembled it, and sure enough it looks like real code. Took 2 minutes and 48 seconds at 244 bits per second (I went slow to make sure there weren't any errors)

So here's the files! I suppose since this is starting to become technical and relevant I should close this thread and start a new one in the right section, or just get this one moved.
    cap.bin - the binary
    cap.asm - The disassembly of said binary.

now I don't expect everyone to make use of these, but they're here.. I also need better file hosting.

Cool beans
    I have like 4 blue top ECU's haha

Well when you get to stage 2, and want to attempt a small port, I volunteer! Also, you can pull apart the spare ECU I have and see what is actually inside if you want. I can bring it when I get back to Canada and come over to get my block drilled... That sounds dirty for some reason...

Quote Originally Posted by clay72 View Post
    This is cool.

I have no idea how to do any of what you are doing.

Haha this was my though exactly.

Sparkie, I have a 1990 GTFour jdm Sard-tuned 3S-GT ecu if you wanted to dig into it. I'd want it back though.

Subscribed.
    - Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bcae92 View Post
    Sparkie, I have a 1990 GTFour jdm Sard-tuned 3S-GT ecu if you wanted to dig into it. I'd want it back though.
    this sounds a little interesting. I suspect that again the later ecu's are all toshiba 8x processors, and if your sard tuned pcm is a factory pcm that has been modded there will be a daughter card on top of where the cpu mounts with 3 or more chips soldered to it, the eprom would probably be socketed as well for tuning options. would you be able to take a picture of the inside of the ecu for me?

part of the reason im working with the bluetop stuff is that it doesnt seem to be well hacked like the later ecu's, and again because theyre cheap as dirt and I want to train myself up to working with the more important ecus. also you bluetop boys still need some tuning options for cars that have to pass emissions inspection.

the later ecu's have all been looked at quite extensively, here are some resources that I've been working from:
    http://kaele.com/~kashima/car/toyota-r.html
    http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...embly-Analysis
    http://toyota.kgbconsulting.ca/wiki/Pinout_64_pin
    http://forum.pgmfi.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67
    http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.p...t=0#msg_117002
    https://www.assembla.com/spaces/7M_TCCS/documents
    http://www.kgbconsulting.ca/~gregk/

so im not alone and in the dark, infact it almost feels like im standing on shoulders when i go to work on the newer stuff, but i'd like to get a simple, inexpensive tuning option available quickly, which is something i dont feel is coming from the other guys.

You sir, are a champion among men.

This came from my parts car with only 85K on it...