Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Funny adventures in electrical engineering

how would you go about overclocking the ecu?

swap out the clock source, upgrade the injectors/fuel pressure to compensate for the shortened pulsewidth, profit from wicked fastness. the big problem is that for every percentage of additional rev limit you run into a percentage of additional lean-ness. less fuel and more timing and more rpm are a bad mix, so I'd recommend upping the fuel pressure or the injector size. red top injectors (210cc according to my research) are a great match for a 15% overclock.

I've actually got some new crystals for the bluetop pcm specifically at my house, maybe we can make one faster for more jollies? all you need are some 210's

I am excite. Did a tiny bit of assembler in college and was amazed when I got something to compile and make flashing lights, then promptly forgot it and moved onto java. I subscribed to your git though, might find it useful when I get into megasquirt one day. I think it runs off of assembler code as well.

I can click the AFM for more fuel and advance the static timing to get it back. yes?

afm more fuel maybe, and you should retard the static timing (ask and i'll get into it tomorrow).

honestly i dont know how the afm is dealt with in the code, and later toyotas have load limitations on the afm: it will saturate after a certain point. i KNOW larger injectors/fuel pressure increases will work, so that's why i recommend it.

also, timing will be adjusted based on load. an undesired side effect even if it does work out, it would be suboptimal.

Good News everyone!

I have created an electrical equivalent of the bluetop processor that is re-programmable AND has more ram and rom (flash) capacity. The prototype is pictured below.

The actual bluetop microprocessor is on the left hand side of the tan board, then it's "glued" to the flash (top right) and ram (bottom right) with the latch and nand gate in the middle (top, bottom respectively).
    The green circuit board serves as a breakout board for an atmel CPLD which I've programmed to replicate the IO ports that are being "used" to talk to the external ram/flash. I'm pretty impressed with the CPLD especially as I didn't really know squat about programming CPLDs sunday morning and here we are thursday night and I've got exactly what I wanted, without plagiarizing a thing from the internet.

tech specs on the new unit (old spec)
    Rom: 32k (4k)
    ram: 16k +192 bytes (192 bytes)

What this means now is that I can connect my abomination back into the bluetop pcm and have complete authority over what happens, though the reality is that I'll just tweak the rev limiter and let Nitin try it out.

So now instead of
    Weeee nee nee nee
    He can make it go
    Weeeeeee nee nee nee POP!

Depends where you put the rev limiter, and the timing advance.

Still gotta find the cruise/WOT tables, if it is tabular... It almost seems that the AFM value is just scaled and applied to the injectors, but there's a lot of farting around, so there could still be a table hiding in there. Though really when you think about it, AFM's shouldnt really need tables to compensate for VE, they measure VE directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post

Still gotta find the cruise/WOT tables, if it is tabular... It almost seems that the AFM value is just scaled and applied to the injectors, but there's a lot of farting around, so there could still be a table hiding in there. Though really when you think about it, AFM's shouldnt really need tables to compensate for VE, they measure VE directly.
    So next you should get it to run with pnumatic valves

Quote Originally Posted by woodenturn View Post
    DK should ban such nonsense. 2 cents~ sr86 www.dorikaze.net/showthread.php?32933-Elizabeth

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post

This makes sense to me, though there may be a table of coefficients for the scaling that can be modified or learned?

1970 KE17 Project
    1969 KE10 Slider

Quote Originally Posted by Cbergerud View Post
    This makes sense to me, though there may be a table of coefficients for the scaling that can be modified or learned?
    I'm not sure this ECU learns. every boot it initializes a GOOD chunk of its ram. Now this ram is nonvolatile as long as power (battery backup, not keyswitch) isnt removed, but I don't see any safe power down signals going in (somewhat required) or any other code which enshrines a few bytes in this manner.

I'd expect at least a decision based on IDL/cruise/WOT thresholds from the TPS (and engine rpm, later toyota pcms use it for WOT) to choose those coefficients to scale the AFM reading. Honestly, and both of you who are following the Git can attest to this, I havn't done any disassembly for the last week. After finding the ignition stuff and part of the fueling stuff I committed to the hardware side (mostly to justify this 100$ dev kit I bought)

Though now that we have 32k of flash and 16k of ram (and the final product will have 31.5k ram) We could just simply ADD learning and a whole bunch of other features. There's a spare pin on the micro I keep eyeing because I want to make it a spare ignition output - the pcm already knows which cylinder it's firing, we could do DLI with wasted spark by adding just a few more components.

I feel like you should be getting paid for this.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Quote Originally Posted by clay72 View Post
    I feel like you should have done all this with a stock 1jz ecu so you could get paid for it.

RETIRED

Quote Originally Posted by clay72 View Post
    Haha, I havn't done anything for anyone yet to get paid for it. All I've really done is open source'd the bluetop ecu for the community and made a few "discoveries" about how a bluetop works, and built myself a customizable bluetop pcm (which isn't even done yet, It is gonna be a few more hours before that cookie crumbles).

Provided there's interest in customizable bluetop pcm's I can whip up a PCB and assemble a few patchboards like a toms or mines ecu, and maybe even write some extra firmware so that you don't have to have an eeprom writer to make edits. Then I can sell these boards (or more likely sell the board with installation) and people can get tuning adjustments on the side.

As I had mentioned at the start of this thread bluetop PCMs are the least valuable in the stack of pcms I have to work with, and I think it shows that while I knew what I was doing at the start of this journey, I know a lot more now closer to the end of one ecu, which makes it easier and safer for the rest of them. I have here with me a blacktop pcm, a 3s-ge pcm and a 1uz-fe pcm, and blain was kind enough to gifty-loan me a redtop pcm. so...
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    I feel like you should have done all this with a stock 1jz ecu so you could get paid for it.
    ..if you have stuff you want disassembled and frankencoded, all you have to do is come up with the part and wait for my free time to trickle on though.

So while we're here, and this thread is becoming more and more on topic, who wants a really ghetto version of hondata for their bluetop?
    and what is the most popular toyota ecu that I SHOULD be working on if I should be getting paid for all of this?

and lastly, thank you all for your kind words and support, It has kept me motivated to work on this all these nights.

1UZ would be a biggie.

I have an extra 1JZ ecu though
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Yeah 1U would probably be the one to go for. Their stock ECU seems to have a dull tune.
    BCWORKS

Blacktop ECU !!
    1984 blacktop coupe
    1982 Corolla wagon - STOLEN

Nah blacktop already runs great.
    BCWORKS

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNDDDDDD done! well, not totally, but there is now a proof of concept Bluetop ECU, with modified code to boot:
    -removed mode check for watchdog functionality (necessary, otherwise watchdog will reset processor every ~100ms)
    -removed checksum check, because removing the mode check caused a checksum fail
    -pushed rev limiter check up to 9003 RPM, because why the **** not?

The part:

The result:

Yup, running off my function generator I can hit 9000RPM (150Hz on the injector there, at 1 injection per revolution) and it cuts fuel. In that photo the function generator was jittering, so the value would bobble about 9003 RPM and cause that sweet rev limiter sound (BAWP-BAWP-BAWP).

Who's got a bluetop they want to guniea pig for me?

Wanna fly out to BC? I've got about 4 bluetops that I'd be more than willing to let you rev the **** out of. Heh.
    '80 MX32 sedan |'83 AE71 wagon |'84 AE86 hatch
    '85 AE86 coupe |'86 AE86 hatch |'86 AE86 coupe
    '88 MR2 S/C |'86 S12 hatch |'88 Silvia K's
    '91 Z30 Soarer '92 JZS147 Aristo |'92 S13 coupe
    '93 R33 Skyline |'98 S14 kouki

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    Is dyno like 200 for the hp if mustang shifts but 300 if corolla shifts?