Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eric from Calgary TWO EIGHT SIXES

Eric from Calgary TWO EIGHT SIXES

Hello Dorikaze, i have been creeping the forums here for awhile and i thought now would be a good time to introduce myself as my second corolla is finally starting to come all together, but to start off my dad is kind of legend when it comes to old Toyota's and dorikaze. i was raised with him racing his red 86 on road course.. other older Te70s on ministock.. practically i was his pit crew every weekend changing tires.
    heres a picture of what is his car looked like this year
    [IMG][/IMG]
    while being raised on the track i really didn't even know how rare and unique these cars were untill my dad handed this one down to me when i got my liscence.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    It is kind of hard to tell but it did have the classic old toyota fender rust aswell it had paint chipping off from when an autocross with "tape ontop" of the car to help with aerodynamics.
    This is where i began to start to do very first bodywork and to try to make my car look pretty for the summer
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Just a 7$ dollar spray can but i thought it turned out quite well for a first attempt
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I was extremely lucky to have such a clean car in the first place with original decals and all.. after i got my car cleaned up thats when i started using it as my daily driver and started doing my very first autocross events. it was pretty difficult at first but the more seat time and practice i got the faster my times improved.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    For general modications to the car is a regular 4AG with 264 HKS Cams with aftermarket 4-2-1 header/exhuast.
    It is a blast for street driving but for next summer i may take it out for autocross to be in a more relativity my horsepower/skill lever for competition.
    As the summer came to an end i picked up this rust bucket that wasnt running and pretty gross and decided to fix it up for a winter beater.
    [IMG]
    [/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    It was pretty nasty.. i started by grinding out as much rust as possible. My father and i decided to cut the entire rusted quarter off and replace it with one of our quarters on a parts car that wasnt as rusty
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Replaced rotten arches with metal
    [IMG][/IMG]
    theres the ectreme body work. whiel working on that got it running all it really needed was a full pump and to be retimed.
    but i will learn more of how it actually drives when i get on the road.
    AS OF TODAY!
    finished ALL my body work and got it primed oh man it feels good ive been doing body work two months nonstop.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    And thats my humongous intro, hopefully to have the black paint on by sometime this weekend or early next week
    Last edited by Eric Truen0; 10-19-2013 at 02:31 PM.

I know this guy!
    Hmmm just got his licence, father is old school racing legend....

Sounds like some sort of Canadian takumi...
    Primer stage is looking siiiick! Can't wait to see it at the shop!
    You are making me want to get a hatch now... Thanks for that
    http://i.imgur.com/whGaEBG.jpg

Rotate when Irate

Good stuff, nice work on the red hatch!

Wow, and I thought my Corolla was rusted, it ain't got nothing on yours! Makes me kind of excited to get the bodywork on mine all done.

Welcome!
    '80 MX32 sedan |'83 AE71 wagon |'84 AE86 hatch
    '85 AE86 coupe |'86 AE86 hatch |'86 AE86 coupe
    '88 MR2 S/C |'86 S12 hatch |'88 Silvia K's
    '91 Z30 Soarer '92 JZS147 Aristo |'92 S13 coupe
    '93 R33 Skyline |'98 S14 kouki

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    Is dyno like 200 for the hp if mustang shifts but 300 if corolla shifts?

Haha canadian takumi for sure! Nice cars Eric.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keiichi Tsuchiya
    The Hachiroku really brings out the beast in you.
    It's like the moon that changes a man into a werewolf.
    That is the magic of the Hachiroku.

More information on the track cars setup please.
    I am your 4ajesus

Thanks for all your feedback,
    i got another layer of primer on this morning before work after i sanded the car with 1200 to get it really smooth. hopefully it will look real nice so i can paint it with my single stage black paint tommorow morning, if not monday evening.
    this is my FIRST full restoration and it was alot of work comaprign to what it was before im really excited to see how it turns out.
    and as for my dad's track car im still learning alot about cars so i dont know all the specs. pretty much all of it is custom in there but you could ask him yourself on here as well his name is "gary" and he has a mango build log on here as well.
    heres our cars

[IMG][/IMG]

So jealous, and not only of the clean one, but your "winter beater" has less rust than my car!!! Nice work!

Sweet rides. Are you in the south in calgary?

Your Dad is awesome, I have to drop by GTS Racing and talk to him about a few things.

Ray
    AE86 | Tacoma X-Runner
    4AGE 20V | 1GR-FE

I am jealous. This kid is goin to have so so much fun over the years with these corollas and has great support/learning behind him. Excited to see all this and good for him. Good luck and Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by 1wheelpeel View Post
    Sweet rides. Are you in the south in calgary?
    yes i am located in south Calgary,
    So after a night of partying i was anxious to get up this morning to paint my car. could be part of the problem as of why it didn't turn out as nice as i wanted but here it is:
    there is quite a few runs and orange peel could be caused by some gun/paint issues i had or just me in general but either way I'm quite happy about my first full paint job.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Sweet first paint job! What was the ambient temperature in the garage when you painted?
    My first paint job also turned out similar

Quote Originally Posted by woodenturn View Post
    DK should ban such nonsense. 2 cents~ sr86 www.dorikaze.net/showthread.php?32933-Elizabeth

im not exactly sure the temp. in the garage but it was +13 in calgary today
    you're first paint job looks sweet !
    hopefully mine will look better when its dry and i start putting all the pieces back together. i think i want to wait three days before i put anything back on it/take off my masking.

Cool. I'm in the south as well. nice progress with your winter beater. I'll guess I'll see you around

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Truen0 View Post
    im not exactly sure the temp. in the garage but it was +13 in calgary today
    you're first paint job looks sweet !
    hopefully mine will look better when its dry and i start putting all the pieces back together. i think i want to wait three days before i put anything back on it/take off my masking.
    I'd ask what your dad says but normally when I paint I remove the tape within about 4-8 hours so it doesn't bond to the tape.

Quote Originally Posted by woodenturn View Post
    DK should ban such nonsense. 2 cents~ sr86 www.dorikaze.net/showthread.php?32933-Elizabeth

I like to pull tape as early as I can. Usually in an hour or two.
    The edge of the paint will then curve over nice because it's still not fully dry. You get a nasty square edge if you wait until it's dry and sometimes the tape will even take paint with it.
    (I do a lot of cholo/bozo style paint jobs!)

On an AE86...I don't tape anything. Just pull all the trim. It takes way longer to tape it off and always looks like crap.

My first looked the same too lol
    Painted my dads garage red haha. He still talks about it ten years later.

RETIRED

Thanks for all the info,
    i pulled off the tape last night .. so just over a day later and i didn't have any issues with paint coming off with it although i did still have some tiny bits of previous red hiding under some of that hatch window so i just paint brushed around the edges carefully. looks pretty dece. although i know the car is completely covered in orange peel it has a few runs i am still extremely happy about the paint job. especially the body condition compared to all the rust it had before.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

paint is still a little soft when i masked it off last night so still gonna wait a little before i put all the lights and exterior bits back on a little longer

Peel will level itself out in like 6 months. It will get better anyway.

2 stage? 1 stage?
    You'll be able to cut the clear if you really care.

RETIRED