Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Number Four

Icon7 Number Four

Number four, the fourth mango, not the forth te27, this guy is a ke25.
    Pretty rough, but only under the convieniently missing fenders and front end

It's got a 3t with auto stuck in there.
    But my plan is to build the small port 4age I have, cams, itb's, megasquirt, t50 I have, Gts rear axle ect.

Front end will be mostly ae86, I have struts, brakes, arms, ect
    Mr2 rack, 86 column if I can find one
    Make a sway bar, tension rods, steering arms

Gts rear axle housing, but this time coil overs and four link.
    Plus panhard

Also planing on making a sort of frame, unibody connector thing. As the 72 corollas have pretty much no chassis or subframes, just flat sheet metal. So rails that continue from the front horns to the rear of the rear axle, as well as some stronger cross body rails, and a roll bar esque hoop at the b pillar bolted to some bracing added along the frame and rockers, and bolted to the upper seat belt mounting holes which are up along the roof.

Full interior, two buckets and cool steering wheel, maybe a stereo, but probably not, sound deadening and head liner, heater, a fully functioning car! With a quiet exhaust?!
    Efi with itbs for noise and futuristic tunning capabilities

Some things I'm in need of so far
    A pedal box, there are no pedals, I could make 86 stuff work
    Steering column, ae86 again, with key would be most excellent
    Te27 driver side front fender, in any condition, I will make it work
    Te27 front lower valance
    Ae86 LSD, old trd? I will rebuild

Now I have questions, I haven't checked lo-cost sites yet, but what rear coilovers do caterham se7en guys run?
    I don't really want to run t3 rear 86 coilovers, I would like better than KYB AGX shocks.
    But I may just do it, I've been running AGX in the mango for years with no problems.

Feel free to chime in, I'm looking for some direction, not really but I like and respect the opinions of DK
    The main reason for coilovers all around is to see the difference between green mango and blue mango once done. The side benefit, will be the ability to be in the weeds to cruise or hard park, a reasonable hieght for autox, and to change rates for comfort.

Is anyone parting out an 86? I need a column and pedals

I guess we could discus body work as well

I'm pretty stoked on the colour! Definitely staying
    But, this is tough cause I want it to be a nice car
    I could leave the exterior, and just finish the rust repair, strengthening, interior ect.
    But the front fenders and valance won't have the charm of the old unrestored paint

Also, I'm not that fond of stock arches
    No flares, doesn't look good to me.
    Plus with the 86 axle, and any zero offset wheels I will need at least 2" of extra width in the rear

I've been looking at flares, $300 for not that nice looking parts
    I like the origin style bubble flares the best, kinda like the shape of the flares on the green mango, they allow for some tire travel inside the flare
    Not sure if I want to deal with fiber glass flares

I like the idea of bolt on flares, for the contrast to green mango's smoothed flares
    But the strength and fact I can build and shape a metal flare faster than I can mould and do fibre glass stuff

That being said I am going to do some fibre glass stuff this winter anyway for green mango

I might have a box, and I know I have a column, maybe even with a key

Oh Paul.
    BCWORKS

Awesome Paul! Can't wait to see the outcome and better pics!
    I got ae86 pedals but I know I'm kinda far lol

Stripping my race car for a new chassis. You can have anything you want if you come help

I've got a TRD diff kickin around too. Gota pay to play for that one though.

RETIRED

Just say when Devin!!
    How much for TRD?

this is cool! a street car project or anoter drift car chassis?

Quote Originally Posted by Rastaracer View Post
    I might have a box, and I know I have a column, maybe even with a key
    pops is driving the truck out to calgary if you want it transported. picking up another corolla ministock from calgary! he is leaving next weekend i think!

tommy is offline Redneck engineer/machinist
    Awesome, that'll be my peanut's cousin, blue and 4A-G powered... alright, let's not get into the coil over rears and all

Can't wait to see progress on that thing, definitely subscribed!

*edit* Oh yeah, I have a stock KE grill, (you know the pointy ones) you can have for free... just a matter of finding cheap shipping options.
    TE31 1977 - 2T-B (traded)
    KE20 1974 - Destroked 7A, project "bigblock A meets peanut" Link to build thread (Sold)
    AE95 1990 - 4A-GZE daily driven wagon...

Find a miata and put that inside your car. Or a s13.

1970 KE17 Project
    1969 KE10 Slider

Ugh no way Corey!
    I want it to handle poorly after spending stupid amounts of time and money on it.

Tommy, that would be cool, greyhound? Might still be $30 to get it here tho, I have a few of the more rectangular grilles, but I prefer the 74 hood and grill.

I did a bit of searching last night, for coilovers for the rear.
    Looked on locost forums and flu d lots of weirdos using r6 motorcycle coilovers, they are apparently stiff enough, but have only 1.5" of travel

Then I searched for s13 rear coilovers, then! I thought miata!
    Haha miata KYB AGX have a perch already on the body, and I can build the top mount to suit, eBay junk coilover spring perches are like $60
    Ill probably go that way, give it a try anyway
    It should yield the same result, but cost under half of what the t3 rear coilovers do

This Is going to go slowly tho, I have little money at the moment, and I'll be working on the green car lots this winter anyway. I can see myself pulling the T engine out and dumping the auto, but not much more for now.
    Just planning and theorizing

If rasta cant find the key for his colum I have one with key. From a zenki ae86

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 2

Hey paul, ever thought about using a cantilever setup for your short stroke bike coil over? You could use a 1:2 lever so your 1.5" stroke would become 3" and you could probably get away by leaving the strut tower alone and fabricate some mounting out of tubing that could be set between the main hoop and the rear 2 points of your cage and probably link both... now I don't think it would fit above the stock fuel tank withough hacking all the crap above but then again, fuel cell is probably not out of reach to make some room.
    KE20 1974 - Destroked 7A, project "bigblock A meets peanut" Link to build thread (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Hey paul, ever thought about using a cantilever setup for your short stroke bike coil over? You could use a 1:2 lever so your 1.5" stroke would become 3" and you could probably get away by leaving the strut tower alone and fabricate some mounting out of tubing that could be set between the main hoop and the rear 2 points of your cage and probably link both... now I don't think it would fit above the stock fuel tank withough hacking all the crap above but then again, fuel cell is probably not out of reach to make some room.
    Perfect for a daily driver! lol

RETIRED

''Hey paul, ever thought about using a cantilever setup for your short stroke bike coil over?'' or how to turn a simple shock setup into a racecar build.

never the easy way eh Tom :P

People suggesting to swap in miata or S13 rear end and I'm the one who comes up with the "bat **** crazy hard setup"?

He's still planning on caging the back end so instead of modding the strut towers, just fabbing a couple bracket on that cage to mount a rod, cam and 2 bike shocks looks like pretty simple... especially compared to dealing with a subframe mounting on a car that has no frame rail to start with.

Anyway, just throwing that out there...

I HAVE 2 FRONT FENDERS!

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Cbergerud View Post
    Find a miata and put that inside you.
    Quoted for truths.
    1987 Corolla GTS Hatch | 1985 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1987 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1992 Tercel CE | 1992 Paseo | 2003 Corolla CE | 1974 Corolla 4 Door | 1978 Corolla Coupe | 1979 Corolla Hatch SR5 | <3||||||1990 Miata |||||| <3
    I like Toyota's wanna fight about it?

Oh Gary! I'm coming to see you!
    I did briefly consider a push rod coil over set up, but I.really don't think the valving for a car and a motorcycle would be that close. I'd rather run agx than motorcycle shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by paulcorolla View Post
    Oh Gary! I'm coming to see you!
    I did briefly consider a push rod coil over set up, but I.really don't think the valving for a car and a motorcycle would be that close. I'd rather run agx than motorcycle shocks.
    run a single mono shock or something cool like single sided swing arms.

Quote Originally Posted by woodenturn View Post
    DK should ban such nonsense. 2 cents~ sr86 www.dorikaze.net/showthread.php?32933-Elizabeth