Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The "Time for a new build thread" Build thread. 1982 Corolla wagon Aka Lemonade.

The "Time for a new build thread" Build thread. 1982 Corolla wagon Aka Lemonade.

Well, It's been almost a year since I bought this car after DiscoQuinn raffled it off, and A LOT has changed.

The car when I got it:
    Stock rear with minispool diff.
    Stock leafs and 2" blocks.
    Alfa Romeo rear shocks.
    Cut eibach springs
    Tokico blues.
    Pair of sparco sprint Jr. Seats.
    Completely stripped out
    Aluminum rad.
    12a conversion.

This is the car the day I brought it home

Since that photo, Many things have changed, and I felt it was time for an entirely new build thread.

First things that needed to be done were: Lots Carb work, Bit of wiring, needed a starter, needed a tach, and the exhaust needed sorting.

I got rebuilt the carb temporarily with some spare parts that came with the car. Just enough to get it to idle/start on its own.

Next I did the exhaust. Before it was straight piped with about 10 leaks and a resonator that was burned out and backwards, and it was center exit. It also hit the diff, and heated the gas tank a whole bunch. I put on a big steel baffled muffler, moved it off to the driver side and fixed the exhaust leaks.

After exhaust, it was having a lot of fuel slosh issues, and the pump was air locking, So I removed the stock tank, re-did the fuel lines, moved the pump and installed a fuel cell. Before the fuel cell went in, I installed a battery kill switch, a horn(as per capital drift rules), and made a new switch panel for the fuel pump/e-fan switches.

At some point during all that, I exploded a diff and an axle. I then installed a weir spool with a 3.9 ratio R&P.(No pics)

I also bought supra wheels for it, properly rebuilt the carb, and added a second fuel filter.

I put the car into a wall at a drift event after I got it running properly, which resulted in a bashed up drivers rear quarter panel, broken engine mount, and bent drivers control arm.

Wall Damage after pounding it out a bunch.

I had Warren make me some extended control arms, and shortened steering knuckles.

Extended arms=

After that, I flattened the rear leafs and added a 1" block(as opposed to the stock leafs/2" blocks)

The result

Added an autometer sportcomp gauge set

Then I bought some wheels from Pandacoupe on the board.

fronts are 14x6.5 +4 rears are 14x7 +0 Enkei focus racing.

Then added a 18" vibrant resonator to the exhaust(No pics)

Blew up the weir spool diff(bearings, spool itself is fine), and put a welded diff in for the final track day this year.

Up until the last track day (November 23rd) I hadn't touched it for a few months.

The car was working excellent at the track day, up until about an hour before the day was over. I somehow managed to spin a main bearing... on a 12a... which is totally unheard of for a rotary, ESPECIALLY a 12a.

So I pulled the motor trans, and decided to do something new.

Plans for the winter/early new year:
    1- Re-wire the entire car.

2- Put a new motor/trans in, more than likely a bluetop 4age.

3- Re-do fuel system(New inline pump for EFI, new lines, proper enclosed box for fuel cell.

4- Relocate battery to passenger rear footwell

5- Equal length 4-link with GTS diff, disc brakes, and panhard.

So far I have 90% of the new chassis harness done, just need to wire in power to the fuse block, wrap the whole thing in braided loom and mount the switch panel.

I also painted the floor satin black and will go over the majority of it with rocker guard.

Pics of the chassis harness

That's all for now.

I will update as often as possible.
    Last edited by Colbskee; 12-10-2013 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pitobread View Post
    I saw this guy eat a whole bag of Jalape?o cheezits in one sitting. After that moment I would trust him with my life.
    1982 Toyota Hilux Pickup- Daily
    1982 Toyota Corolla Wagon- Track car

Is a Bluetop 4ag in an e7 wagon really considered new?

Nice work, keep it alive!

Quote Originally Posted by nolanator View Post
    Im not going for unique. Unique is just another work for expensive, in most cases.

I saw this guy eat a whole bag of Jalape?o cheezits in one sitting. After that moment I would trust him with my life.

Quote Originally Posted by widebodystarlet View Post
    Nice work, keep it alive!
    That is the plan. I'd hate to see this car die permanently.

We shall tandem. It shall be glorious.

A horn is required at cap d?? **** I better get one
    My corolla is cooler then yours

I disagree on 4ag. Same-ish power as a 12a, but now needs work to install after all the swaperoonies that have occured, and 4ags in good shape aren't just lying around any more. Put a KA in it. Or, you know, figure out 100% whats actually wrong with the 12a and fix or replace it. A decent carb on a 12a and you will be exceeding 4ag power.
    Last edited by Cbergerud; 12-10-2013 at 05:47 PM.

1970 KE17 Project
    1969 KE10 Slider

I have bluetop 4age in the works. I plan to rebuild the motor, and do some work to give it a bit more power(header, shaved head, thin headgasket). The 12a needs a rebuild regardless, which is far more money than a 4age swap will cost. I dont have rotary money.

No KA24DE. Too heavy.

Buying and rebuilding a 4A then swapping it in is cheaper than rebuilding a 12a?

Also those wheels are dope, nice choice.
    Last edited by Xanicron; 12-10-2013 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanicron View Post
    Buying and rebuilding a 4A then swapping it in is cheaper than rebuilding a 12a?

Much cheaper. Seal kit for a 12a is $1200, then I'd have to replace the bearings, oil pump and chain, possibly get the housing re-chromed, then have the E-shaft machined. Not to mention I more than likely spun a main bearing, which means the rotors more than likely have to get replaces. Total bill of about 3 grand on the cheap.

I can do a complete rebuild on a 4age, and buy the motor for about a grand with good quality parts.

Did you do a comp test on the 12a? Rule out oil pump chain?

1970 KE17 Project
    1969 KE10 Slider

Quote Originally Posted by Xanicron View Post

This^^ I love the wheels
    My corolla is cooler then yours

Quote Originally Posted by Cbergerud View Post
    Did you do a comp test on the 12a? Rule out oil pump chain?
    Wont matter, he more then likley spun the main bearings, they are as big as pop cans. Which means the entire motor is trash, not worth rebuilding

If it was the front chain of the oil pump (also rare but since he had no oil i'll go with bearings) then he ran out of oil pressure and spun the bearings anyway...

Either way, what he did is extreamly uncommon and you rarely hear about it let alone witness it in person. I would just get another 12a used or something and keep the same setup, but they are hard to find on the island.

Good luck with the 4a, and take your time. Worst thing you can do is rush it

http://www.capitaldrift.ca/
    Man up and come support local drifting

4ag in these cars are the best. And it will have much more power then his current 12a had.
    BCWORKS

Quote Originally Posted by nolanator View Post

are you joking?

a 4A will be the bee's knees for this thing. modern motor, reliable, not carb'd (not a magician) and its you know, a 4A.
    I think this is a good idea as well. put motor as far back as you can would be dope.

this car has come a long way, and its looking fantastic Colby. You've done a lot of good work to this thing. Super mature too.

I didnt realize a 4a is modern lol. Bluetop? gze torque is better for drifting and still rather cheap and easy to drop in. With boost hp can be found for cheap.
    "I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better and continue to do so."

I like the idea of driving a low powered car at it's absolute limit. It's not intended to be a very competitive car.

See, in the old days you took something apart to find out what was wrong instead of making a bunch of theories based on a sound and then replacing the motor.

Worst case you learn how to actually take apart a rotary and learn about the cause of the problem. Things reading a forum or listening to others theories will never do. Best case you find the problem is fixable.

I've had those best cases many times. For example, mechanic says timing chain loose, was actually that the water pump impeller fell off. Mechanic said definitely blown hg, was just a stuck tstat. Etc. Obtained many perfectly good cars for free/cheap as a result. You don't know until you KNOW. This is all I'm really arguing for.

You say that spinning a bearing is a very very rare occurrence, well, to me that's the first red flag that your diagnosis could be wrong. If it did indeed happen, it will be a great opportunity to pull it apart show us the craziness.

This wasn't really about rotors vs pistons, its about jumping to conclusions.

1970 KE17 Project
    1969 KE10 Slider

Duke of SOoke for MAYOR.

all sound logic. if nothing else...and you still continue with 4AG, still take apart motor for ****s and giggles...maybe a donor motor for DoS FB? ehhhhhh

I plan to tear down the motor either way, if it's rebuildable I would like to rebuild it for the experience. Doesnt change my mind on 4age, been thinking about this since before the motor blew up.