Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Herro's Daily Machine

Icon6 Herro's Daily Machine

So I manage to pick up a pretty clean SR5

I been hanging on to this car for a little while now. It's been sitting outside and getting all grimy, but a little bit of a wash and it started to look nice and clean again.

Here some original pics.

Last month I got it aircared and drove it for a good solid month before parking for winter and started stripping it down.

Now, it sits like this.

Along the many years of having the AE, I finally collected one of the cleanest interior I have come across in an AE

Also a bunch of spares interior not shown but will be in my for sale thread later down the road.

I decided after swapping to a 20v that it wasn't enough kick for me as a daily or a track warrior so I am going back to my F22c swap.
    My last swap was working awesome but my fianc? and myself simply cannot daily the car. It was too rugged made noise and wasn't to my standards as a daily but fine for track.

Since I don't track as often as I used to. This shall have everything I want in it.

OEM power windows
    OEM A/C
    I do have a set of OEM cruise controls but not sure now I will fit it in.

I decided to stick with a hard top because I simply hate dealing with leaks, although it is a nice option.

I am in progress of stripping down the shell to its rolling position and sending it off to the paint shop from there I will make all new mounts for my dry sump setup and then slowly build upon the car.

I have work on many S2000 before and own a few myself. I love the engine and the way it responds. With that I have decided to rebuild my f22c with some pretty fancy parts. My goal is to achieve 250-280 RWHP with my new setup. I believe this achievable as this is a similar setup that I have build for another s2k owner.

This is going to be a long term project as I have decided to finish up a what's left of my school and as well working part time so limited funding haha.

I plan to keep this updated each week or two with everything I do to it. So hopefully some who are interested will keep in tune.

I really enjoy the DK community and the people in it. I hope with time this project really turns out the way I would like it to be and bring some motivation to those who are building their cars as well.
    Last edited by xherrox; 12-13-2013 at 11:54 PM.

This is cool! So many 86's end up as race cars and drift fodder.
    It'll make a fine daily.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    http://i.imgur.com/whGaEBG.jpg

Rotate when Irate

Quote Originally Posted by Spence View Post
    This is cool! So many 86's end up as race cars and drift fodder.
    It'll make a fine daily.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    Agreed! What are you planning to do about the OEM Rubber soundproofing? I mean the one moulded to the floor (Is there a better name?). When I removed mine from the Driver's Side, I found that it was trapping water, and causing rust.

If you're doing a complete color change/respray including door jambs etc.. Id highly recommend chipping off the obvious seam sealer on the exterior seams that can have water dribble down into them .. and then reapplying new..

Ive found that all the original stuff has dried out and Im now getting seam leaks on the seams around the door hinge area (leading to water on fuse panel and in foot well) and the seams with no visible sealer around the trunk gasket surface / tailights.. leading to water in my trunk and around taillights etc..

Mmm, automatic SR5 .. redefining slow.

Brett
    '87 AE86 - GTSR5 - Daily Driver
    '72 RA21 Celica - 'Ill build it one day'
    '73 RN27 Hilux - Restomod in progress
    '80 MX32 Cressida - Next in the project queue
    '91 SV25 Camry All-Trac - Winter DD

Clean car, keep posting.

I wouldn't bother removing the tar sound deadening. I've done it before. You ditch maybe 5 lbs and are likely to get incidental scratches that can rust later. Race car with no carpets :chip it out. Street car: Don't mess with it in my opinion.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Quote Originally Posted by clay72 View Post
    Clean car, keep posting.

I wouldn't bother removing the tar sound deadening. I've done it before. You ditch maybe 5 lbs and are likely to get incidental scratches that can rust later. Race car with no carpets :chip it out. Street car: Don't mess with it in my opinion.
    Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with Clay. I guess it depends on how crazy you want to go with a restoration. My sound deadening was dried out and trapping water, so it had to go.

I plan to take out the whole interior everything down to paint it.

I'll be removing the sound deadening. I am sure it helps but no to great and your right it could be trapping rust underneath it. I would like to tackle all the rust while I can in one go.

once that done fix all the spot rust get it primed and painted. After that then I'll buy some aftermarket sound deadening. There are brands like brownmat, dynamat, fatcat, and this alphadamp my friend told me about. I assume laying it out on the firewall, floors, shifter area, rear sides and trunk should do it pretty good for any road noise.

Once that is all in it should weigh about the same or a few pounds heaver then the oem stuff. My last sr5 when it took it out it weighed in about 30 ish pounds for everything.

Any recommendations of mats any one used?

Here is the link for that alphadamp
    http://alphadamp.com/index.php/alpha...adener-42.html

It comes in squares so less cutting and easier to cut and mount. I think a similar set up like the pic will do, no need to go to excessive as others.

what a stupid build, you should f20 it

lol Duy.

Home depot roof tar roll is $40 for enough to do 10 cars. Same thickness as dynamat. I don't think it's a science like all these guys try and make it out to be. It's tar paper, nothing more.
    I've done a couple cars with noticeable results.

RETIRED

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    Home depot roof tar roll is $40 for enough to do 10 cars. Same thickness as dynamat. I don't think it's a science like all these guys try and make it out to be. It's tar paper, nothing more.
    MY SECRET IS OUT! NOOOO!!!!!

but yeah, Bakor 810-09 FTW, I use this tar paint for water proofing and a little sound deadening. you could easily add some tar mat to the slurry.
    http://ca.henry.com/roofing/asphaltr...ibratedcoating

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    I use this as well, awesome stuff.

visean is offline Yo, troubled night in the John
    Quote Originally Posted by widebodystarlet View Post
    I use this as well, awesome stuff.
    Cool! I will try that.

Its about time for an update

As some of you are aware I been posting some pictures through Instagram and through the DK whats app chat. I finally got everything uploaded and time to update the rest on here!

After years of hording parts and investing more then my I should have. I would like to say this project is complete!

Pictures and details below.

Basically here is the stock SR5 ready to get fully modified! Last time I'll see this at stock height.

Brand new BC racing coilovers for the time being. After much discussion about suspension, I may consider switching to Koni race and swift springs as par Duy's recommendation. He swears by it same with nipandslip I figured if I have the same suspension set up as everyone else. no excuses at trick besides motor.

All the suspension out and ready for BC coils to go in make sure everything test fits alright.

Striped off the rear bumper and time to remove all the old grease and dirt that been sitting in the car since 1985! Amazingly I love how clean this SR5 turned out to be.

Gotta love having all the right tools to make sure the job gets done properly and quickly

All cleaned up removed as much dirt and under coating as I can.

A look at the bottom before striping it out all out I mean everything.

I was bound to find a large hole some where. So I cut it out and welded a new plate as well as zinc primed and then undercoat.

This took a very long time and 3M stuff, I went thru a qt in no time. Do it once right?

Mean while I been rebuilding my rear end. Finally upgraded from oem to Cusco RZ set up by bob at drift office!

starting on my 5 speed swap petals. All sanded down zinc coated and then enamel to keep them looking good and rust free.

Rear end all in new fluids GTS lines all installed, Fuel tank redone with s2k accessories. Now to slowly work my way up front

Out comes the 4AC. Honestly best slow engine I ever had. Great on gas got about 8l/100kms while I was dailying it to work and such. It also held up very well at AutoX. I will definitely miss the automatic for those traffic days.

Once again the dirt continues to pile up and such. Time for a rinse and degreese!

I love it when its all cleaned out and ready to go!

looking great! am i gonna see this when i head up?

Switching all the wiring to an kouki GTS harness. Installed my sub wire and all the wires I plan on running while I am at it. I sleeved/braided all the wires that I have changed up and simple tuck away.

More undercoating and cleaning up of everything the Vents and fans all washed up and cleaned up. Petal all installed and ready to go!

My locks were getting old figure I switch them up and install power windows/locks all at the same time.
    Once that was done I put back all my rear interior as that was done. Slowly coming together

Around this time most of the DK guys came to auto x. I figure since I was building my ae I might as well take out my brother's 86 to auto x fun time with the crew!

Time for some real work to be done! Installing f20c

Wasn't a fan of the drop subframe any more. So i decided to figure out a way that would make sense and still drive like a normal AE86 no cutting the firewall and no drop subframe. After many many many hours and pulling in and out the engine/tranny. I figured it out.

All mounted and clearances checked!

Ecu wiring, and fuel pump wiring all the just wires and wires