Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Herro's Daily Machine

lol. be like, yo man, heres my inspection i just passed...
    im always curious of the stories to people getting a VI. and a box 2 isnt the end of the world. box 1 is nearly a death sentence if you dont have the time or resources.
    blows my mind considering how mundane and oem'-esque the car is. to me, the perfect daily. so long as the car is quiet and not farty all over town...and driving isnt erratic or careless...its hard for them to have a reason..but they'll do whatever they want.

you get the VI's in vancouver/richmond?

Quote Originally Posted by battleaxe View Post
    lol. be like, yo man, heres my inspection i just passed...
    im always curious of the stories to people getting a VI. and a box 2 isnt the end of the world. box 1 is nearly a death sentence if you dont have the time or resources.
    blows my mind considering how mundane and oem'-esque the car is. to me, the perfect daily. so long as the car is quiet and not farty all over town...and driving isnt erratic or careless...its hard for them to have a reason..but they'll do whatever they want.

you get the VI's in vancouver/richmond?

Yeah after passing the First VI in July, I received another one two weeks ago. I passed the second one a few days ago. Since I didn't change any of my mods since July my inspector passed me again.

My first one was in Richmond for being too loud. We tested it at autocross around 6000rpm when Vtec crossover happens it hits 92DB which almost got me kicked out of there as well. The second was in Langley in the heavy rain. My car got a bit of fish tail going into third, the officer wrote me down for stiff suspension, brakes and R compound tires. He did see that I had it fully inspected before, but wanted me to do another one since the car so heavily modded.

Making a few changes for next year. Hopefully wont have to go for a third one haha. Box 2 or Box 1 it doesn't matter now, they do a full inspection. Main concern was rebars and DOT approved brake lines. Everything else like lights past with ease.

Thank you everyone for the support! I hope to keep making the AE better for grip racing and hopefully buy a drift missile to practice drifting one day since some of the members are getting back into it.

bunch of the members havent stopped.

the main thing i tell anyone who mods, is to have all lights, horn, good tread on tires and keep the car quiet (i dont entirely practice this fact, thought i try, Supra is quite loud.) in all cases, try your best to never give a stupid cop a reason to pull you over.
    I also deal with these things differently. Telling someone what to say or do when confronted with a cop differs for everyone.

if it was me, i'd have told him i already passed the inspection, nothing has changed, i know all my parts work on my car, why are you harassing me? because its an inconvience to have to prove to your un educated ass, that this car isn't a death trap..

then the tirade of harley davidson bikes being too loud, and the 1980s rust bucket of a Buick that literally falling apart and leaking all its fluids on the road, driven by a substance abuser who may or may not even have a licence.

So I figured I update on whats happening with the corolla.

Every since the VI, I had to reinspect it and of course it passed again. There was no difference in mods since the last VI.

I parked since then and sold off most of the f20c swap to a friend.

Currently it is just a shell till I gather up some funds to finish my f22c build, which hopefully is ready and running by July in order to go to ridge with the other guys.

Meanwhile before tackling any of that.

A lot of DK guys went to CAPD/EVERGREEN, since I had no car to practice with I got another corolla.

With the great timing of Matt, I was able to pick up another 87 Hachi to daily drive and practice drifting.

Some pictures of the car before picking it up.

Last edited by xherrox; 02-09-2015 at 07:34 PM.

Basically it wasn't running due to fuel issues, I figured i take the risk and head over to the island on foot, hoping fix the issue and drive it back.

7:00am took the first ferry out and by the time I got there, Matt was kind enough to give me a lift to the car.

We took a look around it, to see if the problem could have been easily fixed. I smacked the fuel filter a few times hoping it was clogged, but after a while we ended up disconnecting the fuel filter and turn the car on IGN with the AFM flap fully open noticing there was only 8 volts to the pump.

Next step taking out the gas tank and exchanging the fuel pump.

Upon removal, we noticed the gas tank has been heavily rusted inside and the pump was all seized up from sitting since 2009 or 2008.

We dumped all the gas, it was all brownish color and the filler neck had a few holes in it. Safe to say gas tank is toast, I will need to find another one down the road.

I brought with me a new Walbro 255 and a stock used OEM one. Threw in the oem with a newer filter and plugged it back up.

We making good progress, I would say 1hr 30mins testing swaping pumps etc on the ground.

When everything was in, gas going into the engine and it started right up. I was super excited to hear it run, it had its misfire here and there but given that it was sitting so long, wouldn't be surprised.

Missing the 12:00pm ferry back, we ended up taking the back roads back to swartzbay. Awesome roads, but the brakes were all gummed up and I wasn't able to drive to quickly and kept plenty of distance from any car.

It was closing in on 1:00pm Ferry, I had just made it to the terminal with 1 minute of spare. The lady at the booth said I was the last guy in and that I am lucky because the next one was coming at 3:00pm.

Thank you Matt for all your help that day, definitely wouldn't be able to do without your assistance.

Last edited by xherrox; 02-09-2015 at 07:54 PM.

I took it home and here are the specs:

1987 Corolla GTS

Has about 271km

Interior was decent shape only rip was to the driver seat which I will be replacing.

The rest of the interior was just dirty and needed a good clean and vacuum. Which I plan on doing after I take care of a few things.

Exterior, the driver side of the car has UV damage from sitting in the sun for so long.

Opening the door is all saggy and the door lock looked like its been pricked at.

Lucky the rust was mostly on the fender strip of the car there was no holes on the arches just minor rust spots here and there.

I am looking into replacing the driver side fender and door down the road as well taking off the those trims.

Once I got the car on some jack stands I noticed the last owner or who ever had a lot of under coating so the body is in good shape but the rear end and calipers etc were all rusted up.

So I removed all the brakes calipers rotors and suspension. I attempted to fixed them but the bleeder screws broke on both the front calipers.

About a week later I got some time off work to start working on the car again hopefully getting it already for MARCH 14th CapD

I removed all the header, oem exhaust, some stainless brake lines,
    shocks, springs, etc.

I figured this is going to be my last AE86 I will be personally building for my own.

I been saving some extra aftermarket things for a second build and now I will be using whats left of my 86 inventory haha.

First was installing the OBX, stainless ceramic coated header provided by DUY, along with a high flow cat and a stainless catback.

I also have left over suspension.

Front- Tien camber plates, Tokico short stroke HTS shocks on 8KG ground control and T3 RCA
    Rear- TRD 6KG spring with HTS SS shocks

I was going to weld the diff but, figured I have a near new Cusco MZ 1.5/2 way LSD in a pumpkin ready to go.

As for brakes I have a set of endless rotors and used hawp hps f/r pads i'll be using for now.

Also manage to reman the rear calipers with new seals and sliders. Till next week I guess.

Last edited by xherrox; 02-11-2015 at 09:07 PM.

Right on man! No thank YOU for taking another project off my hands

Great story!

So I got a few things done today.

Installed:

CuscoMZ 1.5 way 4.3 with Motul PA90
    Front and rear calipers with newer Hawk HPS pads
    Flush the entire system with DOT 3

Basically got everything running again.
    Plan is tomorrow clean up the exterior remove all the trims and the front/rear bumpers and tail lights.
    I did spend a few hours cleaning up the interior and re installing the radio.

Surprising how dirty the interior was, but after cleaning it started to look clean again.

I would rate the interior before 7/10 and now 8/10 haha. I would like to go over it later down the road with a steam clean and detailing.

Right now I am going to change out all the bulbs to led and as well source out some proper floor mats like the ones pictured below.

Anyone know where I can find those floor mats and custom the 10k cluster?

Some before and after pics.

More to come tomorrow.

Last edited by xherrox; 02-12-2015 at 10:04 PM.

I love a clean car.

Yeaaaaah. Cleaning is very satisfying.
    BCWORKS

Car is looking FANTASTIC!, you can find a cluster insert at http://torparts.com/10K-RPM-Cluster-...rlay-Zenki.htm
    Mat 83 GTS Hatch 87 GTSR5 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by KingSpence View Post
    If only I put the same amount of effort into my schooling as I do my car. Education is important, but racecar is importanter.
    Stuff I'm Selling
    IG Mattyballz86

Yeah I am very picky about cars when it comes to interior. Has to be super clean for me to drive it around all day can't smell all moldy etc. OCD issues haha.

Yeah I message them about that overlay it only comes in MPH in bigger font not the KMS. I would also need to figure out how to calibrate it. I guess that be a down the road thing.

So I got some free time today and since the car was mechanically running, I wanted to do some cosmetic work.

The last owner left it in the sun and outside for a few years and it cause all the clear coat to dull all up.

Some things needed fixing was the door was all saggy and the lock was pretty much falling off. I could repair this door but for the time and effort I am going to buy another good condition used one.

The front bumper also didn't line up due to prob hitting a curb or something but the tabs to the fender was bent you can see in the pictures below. I figured the easiest solution was to put on my spare JDM kouki bumper.

While I was removing the bumper, I was surprised all the bolts came off with ease. Even the four main bolts holding the bumper came off easy. On most of the other corollas I worked on those where always the toughest.

The driver side fender was also rusting where the trim bolted on. Once I removed all that I noticed it was pretty bad all across the fender. Just going to replace the fender.

With the coils and springs the car sits pretty low. Time to do some fender rolling/cutting.

So after I removed the fenders/bumper and such I wanted to see if there was any rust on the body, luckily it was very minor. I can deal with replacing panels but hate rust on the body.

It was raining out and I wanted to pressure wash the car and all around the fender area cleaning off all that dirt and grime. It was super satisfying even if its cold outside.

I took it back in and started fixing up the fender to fit some 15x8 0 offset wheels with some room for larger ones down the road.

Also threw on some redlines. Can't wait to get this car all together and ready for the road ahead!

Till next week guys! I wanted to thank those who commented. Its been a while since I did a detailed build log. I figured since this is the last AE86 build gotta keep it in the records

This is coming along so nicely!
    1989 MX83 - Sold
    1985 AE86 Coupe - Sold
    1985 MX73 - Sold
    1984 AE86 Hatch - Project Car

Coming along really quick, excited to see the finished product!
    Last edited by ChrisTangoJuice; 05-14-2015 at 08:01 PM.

I figured its been a time for an update.

A lot has happen since the last update. The pictures will show for them selves any ways.

I removed all the old kouki trim strips and started the filling process

It turned out decent, I know a lot of guys really like flaring it out for wider wheels however I really like this car to be as OEM as possible and since new/aftermarket fenders aren't around any more I fixed these guys right up.

I then did a quick spray so the car can remain in one color. This way I can daily drive it and enjoy a few track days before doing a full repaint in the winter.

Now moving to the rear was a lot more difficult.

The rear was a bit more rusty but good thing was no holes on the rockers. However if you notice the where the spring sits there a a fair a but of rust there.

After I started picking a it a more a lot more then that came off. I figured it wasn't safe to take it to drift day. So it sat at home to be repaired.