Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sakura Fab: 4AG Heat Screen Intake Manifold Gasket

Sakura Fab: 4AG Heat Screen Intake Manifold Gasket

A 4C/7.2F-10C/18F degree change in air temperature (increase or decrease) will cause a 1-3% horsepower change. These gaskets will lower the temperature of the intake manifold by at least 11C/20F and benefit both naturally aspirated & forced induction environments.

(heat screen washers are not included but are available for an additional $5.50CAD for a set of 9)

smallport gasket:

largeport gasket:

Test Vehicle information
    *The following conditions were consistent in both before and after states in collecting the proceeding data.
    Engine: 1.6 (naturally aspirated w/ 278 in/ex cams) small port
    State: 1100RPM idle
    Coolant temp: 76C/168F
    Vaccum: 10 in.hg
    Ambient temp: 11C/52F

w/ Stock Intake Manifold Gasket (temperature reader held at ~24")

w/ Heat Screen Gasket (temperature reader held at ~24")

**Temperature readings were taken from approximately the same location on the no. 1 cylinder intake runner.

$21.71CAD/$20USD + $7USD shipping to lower 48 states / $10.70CAD to CAN

Heat Screen Washers are available for an additional $5.50CAD for a set of 9. Shipping separately is $5CAD.

All orders are shipped with tracking.

Don't forget to specify if it's for either a large port or small port when ordering the Heat Shield gasket.

For international sales, please send an email with your shipping information.

PayPal:
    Last edited by dr.occa; 08-01-2014 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Price change

smallport gasket:

largeport gasket:

Dyno graphs up next?

Too bad 5% increase in power on a 4AG is not enough to register reliably on a dyno.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

I am kinda curious and interested. I can say I haven't seen this before, and I am curious to know how well it actually works power wise too.

wat

RETIRED

they come standard on 20v engines

Anyone order a set of these yet?

I am wondering the same thing. I may get one to try, but it wont be on my engine for a bit. Am I going to be the guinea pig?

These have been proven before to give small gains on the dyno. I've seen results in magazines and whatnot. You can also re-use these types of gaskets more than once, when the OEM toyota ones tend to rip apart and be a pain in the ass when removing the intake. The stock one is paper thin and costs $15-20 anyways.

I have to take my intake off and clean it out. Thinkin I may as well get new gaskets for putting it back on. Was thinkin these would be a good idea

I have a couple small port intake ones already, but I wouldn't mind getting one like this. I am just going to order it when I start doing the head anyways.

And I was wondering about reuseability. You don't suggest using a stock gasket too?

And shouldn't small port ones be cheaper because its half the material?

I have now installed these. I can say that my car runs with them installed. As for heat reduction I have no idea since I didn't have a fancy temperature reading thingy lol. But they fit and my car is running.

Dyno data for your consideration:
    http://www.86garage.com/forums/viewt...hp?f=17&t=6361

So I took the 12A powered Levin up to Engine Logics' dyno Saturday morning, June 14th, 2014 where "Mad Brad" has been a tech for 10 years.

Ambient Temp: 92*F
    Barometric reading: 29.91 in/Hg.
    Motor: stock 12A running dual leading msd coils in waste spark ignited by a 6AL.
    Trailing spark is handled by a single coil via the factory distributor and ignited by a separate 6AL.
    Intake Manifold Gasket: Beck & Arnley OEM equivalent

WHP & Torque:

WHP & AFR:

(She ran really lean from 3000 -pretty much where the idle circuit hands off duties to the main circuit- to lean at 6000 and started seeing better AFRs by 6500 but still lean for a rotary)

Pulled her off the dyno and took her home to pull the stock gasket. Can't pull the intake without making a mess with the coolant due to 2 coolant ports just behind the intake flange (blocked off by my aftermarket 48 IDA intake mani). Didn't want to make a mess in Engine Logic's driveway either. Besides ambient temperature was increasing by the hour. We're in Texas; what did ya expect!?

Was watching for similar environmental conditions and came back Saturday morning, June 28th, 2014.

Ambient Temp: 93.7*F
    Barometric reading: 29.88 in/Hg.
    Motor: stock 12A running dual leading msd coils in waste spark ignited by a 6AL.
    Trailing spark is handled by a single coil via the factory distributor and ignited by a separate 6AL.
    Intake Manifold Gasket: Sakura Fab Heat Screen Gasket & Bolt head Washers

Kept everything exactly the same outside of the gasket and bolt washers. Even the carb jettings were exactly as before. Not even the jet screen cover was touched or blown clean of any debris. What coolant was lost was replenished during the gasket replacement. All conditions were exactly as before on the dyno as well.

WHP & Torque:

WHP & AFR:

So even with a slight increase in ambient temperature and a drop in barometric pressure (both condition changes being non conducive to increasing hp and not to mention rotaries tend to run pretty hot), the motor still picked up a whopping 1.3 WHP.

The gasket starts off as .125" thick but does shape to the mating surfaces when torqued to factory spec (the washers formed to their surfaces as well of course).

It's conceivable that there may be more potential gains using a thicker variation of the same gasket but that'll have to be for another time.

So there you have it.

Time to re-jet the IDA finally.

Update: Price drop

It's only $21.71 Canadian now?

Quote Originally Posted by Blade7 View Post
    It's only $21.71 Canadian now?
    Correct + shipping.

What. I shoulda waited to buy mine lol. Oh well. What is the factory tourque spec for the intake manifold bolts anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by jewbaka421 View Post
    ..... What is the factory tourque spec for the intake manifold bolts anyways?
    20 ft/lbs

Handy: http://4agehub.blogspot.ca/2012/08/4...ngs-4agze.html
    Last edited by b-rock; 11-11-2014 at 01:29 PM.
    $28 Bronze T50 shifter bushings HERE

Being late and lazy paid off again! Haha! And that is also good to know.